Backdating windscreen washer - what's the solution

An archive of any Porsche 911 technical threads

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

sladey
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Backdating windscreen washer - what's the solution

Post by sladey »

I'm in the middle of a backdating project (1987 carrera to 1973ish), and have had to remove the windscreen washer bottle when fitting the early wings. I know this is a common problem but wonder what other people have done to get around it?

I know Keith Seume mentioned this in his backdating article about the black baboon - if you read this Keith what did you do about it?

I'm not bothered about originality (duh :roll: ) - I just want something that works because when I do get it back on the road it's going to get mucky in this weather

Cheers

Mark
Nige

Post by Nige »

just visit a scrap yard and raid some VW Golf/Polo of it washer bottle/pump combo and mount it in the boot somewhere, you may need to extend the wiring and plumbing but that's not a problem.

BTW 911 screen washer pumps are the same as some Volvos, plenty of them in scrap yards and if you hide in your tool box its cheaper still :roll: :wink:
sladey

Post by sladey »

Thanks Nige
912uk

Post by 912uk »

:lol: :lol: not bring in the duff one and leave with the good one..

" narr mate looks like you haven't got any of these i will try again in a few weeks " :lol: :roll:

robbing scrap men but they always have merc's.......and a fist full of £50's

Oh yeah washer bottle yes i have used a VW mk2 golf one nice size and I tucked it in the wing with a home made cage. and i made a filler pipe.
Ian Donkin
DDK rules my life!

Post by Ian Donkin »

My '88 3.2 Carrera had a secondary 'high intensity' screen wash bottle near the bulkhead hidden under the carpet on the inside of the n/s front wing. It was only very small in capacity, but one might be worth hunting down.

Whilst it had it's own switch scattered somewhere on the dash, I'm sure you could wire it into the conventional stalk. I'm surprised there isn't one already on your car - maybe it was an '88 model thing?

I know they are also fitted to 964 Turbo's :wink: and I'm certain that's what they used on 964RS's too.

The true lightweight option :P.
2006 RHD 997 Carrera (but DDK remains in my heart - also now no longer)
1972 LHD 2.4T with '73 2.4T CIS motor - gone to a new DDK home
1994 RHD 993 Carrera - gone!
1968 LHD 911L - was the Wife's but now in new hands :-(

sladey

Post by sladey »

Good thinking Ian I've got one of those but it hasn't worked for ages - I'll get taht working instead