Handle

Porsche 356 Virtual home

Moderators: 58A - 71E, Helen

Mark-356
DDK Seasoned Poster

Handle

Post by Mark-356 »

I know Starwars is about to start but I wondering if one you knowidgable 356 owners could tell what this handle is for. I have not pulled it or turned in case it’s the ejector seat

Many Thanks

Mark
Kneeslider
DDK slapper chatter

Re: Handle

Post by Kneeslider »

Its the fuel reserve tap. Normally the handle points straight up for on, which then leaves about a gallon in the bottom of the tank as a reserve. Turn it to the right and you access the rest of the fuel, turn to the left to turn the fuel off. There should be the markings A, R, and Z on the rubber that the lever sticks through for Auf for on, Reserve (or whatever the German equivalent) and Zu, for off.
'65 356 SC
'91 Ducati 750/900ss mongrel
1963 Velocette Viper (mostly) with '39 KSS OHC engine
'05 997 C2
1954 FB Mondial 200 Extra Lusso
Mark-356
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by Mark-356 »

Your a star Kneeslider

Thanks very much

Mark
marc500
DDK addict

Post by marc500 »

mine's fitted so it points down for on... pointing left to access reserve and pointing right for off. I tend to switch it off if I think I'm not going to be using the car for a while and then run out of fuel at the same place up the road when I forget to switch it back on :lol:
Mark-356
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by Mark-356 »

marc500 wrote:mine's fitted so it points down for on... pointing left to access reserve and pointing right for off. I tend to switch it off if I think I'm not going to be using the car for a while and then run out of fuel at the same place up the road when I forget to switch it back on :lol:

Funny :lol:
roy mawbey
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by roy mawbey »

Mine is in the same position as Marc's one. For 40 years I never turned mine off after trips out until one day got in the car and the alloy ' petcock ' the item the black turn off rod is connected to, was leaking fuel. The petcock directly under the fuel tank, had a cork gasket that failed after 50 years! When I bought a rebuild kit for the petcock the defective cork gasket I removed crumbled like hardened wood from its housing!!

So... for the past 10 years I remember now to turn off the fuel supply after taking the car out.

Roy
RHD 356A coupe super 75 106954
POR68
DDK above all

Post by POR68 »

I always turn mine off (Right) about 100 metres from home. No carby weeps.That with the gearshift reverse lock on the car makes it harder to steal/pinch. I did find that fitting the correct 2-piece radio with its rear power pack could foul the petcock valve lever, however.
Merv

Australia
Porsche 356 BT6 (1 of 44 Australian delivered)
mycar
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by mycar »

Agreed, get into the habit of turning your petcock off when parking up.

Otherwise there is a chance that one or other needle valves in your carburetors won't close correctly.... maybe a bit of crud gets lodged in there or general wear and tear and slowly but surely the contents of your fuel tank will spill into your engine... maybe causing a hydraulic lock and broken bits but at the very least requiring an oil change.

Here's a laser level on the top of my A tank...

and the same level round the back.

That's nearly 9 inches above the carb top. The fuel tank is about 9 inches deep.

Fuel seeping down the cylinders has happened to me only once and that was after the carburettors had been rebuild by a reputable carburettor rebuilding company. Who made a rubbish job of it.

Always Zu your petcock. :cheers:

roy mawbey
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by roy mawbey »

Yes absolutely correct the needle valve to the float bowl can fail. I had one fail on a 356C I owned. I was lucky checked the oil and noticed the level was over the top mark by a considerable amount. Then noticed the smell of petrol on it. This was well over 40 years ago and I was foxed by this. Until I removed the needle valve and noticed when I blew down it the ball would not seat in certain places.
So lucky really if I had not checked it, within a short time it would have been high enough in the sump to lock the engine no doubt.

It says something for also just checking the dip stick regularly as this can happen without you realising it.

Roy
RHD 356A coupe super 75 106954
vwgillybilly
DDK slapper chatter

Post by vwgillybilly »

Also happened to me, I was totally unaware & fortunately when I cranked the engine over the wife was stood behind the car & unluckily for her got covered in fuel being pushed out of the exhaust, luckily for me it didn't hydraulic lock.

Gill.
1959 356A UK RHD AFN no. 400

1962 Porsche - Diesel Junior 109