Engine oil strainer

Need some help with a technical problem - ask away and let's see if we can all help.

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Nige

Targarich
DDK Newbie

Engine oil strainer

Post by Targarich »

Looking for some advice

Whilst rebuilding my 2.2l engine, I have found a crack in the LHS oil strainer fitted into the block.

I have already decided to replace the oil pump with a later Carrera pump, which has a strainer fitted to the end of the pump. Does this mean I can leave out the plate fitted into the block ?
TARGARICH

-71 911 Targa
fetuhoe
DDK rules my life!

Re: Engine oil strainer

Post by fetuhoe »

If you are going to fit a 4-Rib Pump with a strainer on the scavenge then you can omit the strainers in the engine.

Are you also going to modify the By-Pass Circuit and fir the later pressure relief spring and piston?

The early engines By-Pass oil from the pressure pump back into the crankcase unlike later engines which by-pass back to the inlet of the pressure pump.

The 4-Rib pump has a larger pressure section which will create more By-pass flow and as a consequence the scavenge section of the pump which is smaller than the early pump and hence will reduce the scavenge efficiency.

This will tend to increase parasitic losses due to an increased oil volume in the crankcase which in turn may increase oil temperature due to windage.

I am not convinced that 2.0 and 2.2 litre engines benefit from larger pumps as the stock early pump has more than sufficient flow capability even at low engine speeds and the larger scavenge section must be a good idea.

The By-Pass mod is always worth doing as it will improve scavenging in all cases and this must help with temperature control.

Turbo or some of the later pumps such as the Turbo of the 965 and GT3 pumps have larger pressure and scavenge sections and on very high revving engines may be a good idea but this is a very different discussion.
Targarich
DDK Newbie

Re: Engine oil strainer

Post by Targarich »

Hi fetuhoe

Thanks for the reply.
Yes, I have already completed the oil bypass change on the block, so now i’m Ready to complete the assembly
Cheers
TARGARICH

-71 911 Targa