Mystery steering wheel

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

C3s
DDK slapper chatter

Mystery steering wheel

Post by C3s »

Can anybody help to identify this please? It has quite a soft/squashy rim as opposed to the harder types. Currently fitted to a Midget and the holes in the wheel correspond to those on the boss ie. no holes on upper portion. Any help appreciated. OD measures 370mm.
Thanks,
Paul. Image
KS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Mystery steering wheel

Post by KS »

A Google image search on MG Midget steering wheel shows this. Note the bolt pattern.

Another image shows what looks rather like your wheel:

So might it simply be a factory fit?
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
MikeB
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by MikeB »

You can get steering wheels that are not Pre-drilled, so I would suspect this is an early version of one of these, so you could mount it to your existing hub, as has been done on the Midget. As to make, it does look like one of the styles that the various British manufacturers produced in the 70s
Cheers

Mike

RS Rep 3.0 on Webers
smallspeed
I used to have a life, then came DDK

Post by smallspeed »

they look like some mighty bolts! are they also holding the gearbox on the engine or something?! :lol:
C3s
DDK slapper chatter

Post by C3s »

Comments appreciated
davidoft
DDK above all

Post by davidoft »

KS wrote:A Google image search on MG Midget steering wheel shows this. Note the bolt pattern.

Another image shows what looks rather like your wheel:

So might it simply be a factory fit?

that second one moto lita, I think the ops one is a no name cheapo, looks a bit like an astrali one, if it a proper wheel it will have a name on it somewhere
C3s
DDK slapper chatter

Post by C3s »

No name present but it’s super lightweight and lovely to steer/feel, most unlike any general cheapo repros. The Midget arrived with a Mountney super chunky woodrim, then l put an original factory wheel on but dug this one off the back of a shelf that had been there for years.
Having seen most aftermarket steering wheels over the years and not liking the majority, this one seems different.
Thanks for all of your comments & help,
Paul.