applying decals

Need some help with a technical problem - ask away and let's see if we can all help.

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Nige

boomy
DDK slapper chatter

applying decals

Post by boomy »

not really 'technical' help, but any tips on applying decals would be appreciated.

I want to put the carrera side decals on and am a little nervous in getting it 'wrong' !!

Simple stuff, like should I cut it into 3 pieces - one for the rear wing, one for the door and one for the front wing - or, apply, then cut once it is on ?! If this is a newbie q, sorry, never done this before. Also, how high from the bottom of the door should the be applied ? It looks to be about 1 inch from pics, but it's hard to tell and I don't have a real-life example to hand. Thanks, Mark :)
Dreaming of driving a pre-A 356, actually commuting in a Cayman and for the weekend, a 911 'thing', with a Carrera 3 engine ( we think).
76 912E....gone
71 914 .....gone
66 912 ...sadly gone
...and lots of air cooled VWs and a few rusty, Italian tubs!
Fuchs915
DDK addict

applying decals

Post by Fuchs915 »

Hi Boomy,

I put some on my 3.2 last year, pretty easy in the end. Got it lined up and used masking tape along the top edge to hold in place first. then used a spray of water with a drop of fairy liquid on the bodywork to allow it to be slid if needed. Small roller and credit card to remove bubbles, job done. Be careful not to leave any of the small bits on the backing paper like I did! If you have a look on the Impactbumpers.com forum there are a few bits of information plus there is a PDF of the official placement. I'll try to dig it out this evening.

Good luck

Kevin
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Re: applying decals

Post by Bootsy »

Fuchs915 wrote:Hi Boomy,

I put some on my 3.2 last year, pretty easy in the end. Got it lined up and used masking tape along the top edge to hold in place first. then used a spray of water with a drop of fairy liquid on the bodywork to allow it to be slid if needed. Small roller and credit card to remove bubbles, job done. Be careful not to leave any of the small bits on the backing paper like I did! If you have a look on the Impactbumpers.com forum there are a few bits of information plus there is a PDF of the official placement. I'll try to dig it out this evening.

Good luck

Kevin

A first post on DDK giving helpful advice to another member - made my Monday morning that has! Welcome to DDK Kevin!
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
Ferry Man
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Ferry Man »

This may help too:

Paul

'74 Porsche 911 Carrera 2.7 (MFI) - Lime Green
'94 Porsche 911 Carrera 2 (993) - Mexico Blue
boomy
DDK slapper chatter

Post by boomy »

Thanks guys, will 'have a go' this weekend, after the dreaded MOT :? :shock: 8)
Dreaming of driving a pre-A 356, actually commuting in a Cayman and for the weekend, a 911 'thing', with a Carrera 3 engine ( we think).
76 912E....gone
71 914 .....gone
66 912 ...sadly gone
...and lots of air cooled VWs and a few rusty, Italian tubs!