It has to go...

Porsche 356 Virtual home

Moderators: 58A - 71E, Helen

cubist
The Fenland Feltcher

It has to go...

Post by cubist »

One of those 'realism' days... anybody know anybody that knows anybody wants to buy my '56 A coupe? Need the garage space and let's be honest, need the cash input very soon too! Thinking out loud to generate interest but this will become a properly thunked-out, grown up sales pitch earlier rather than later... think i need a change :(
C U B I S T - 1 1 1 5

'83 Triumph Acclaim - 3sp Auto (cat D)
Singer 3232 - Titanium bobbin, Autothread
'67 Gresham Flyer - Puncture, rear
Sherbet Lemons - 4oz, loose
Motorola - PG 2000, locked
Lightweight_911
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: It has to go...

Post by Lightweight_911 »

Sorry to hear that - thought you hadn't been round much on DDK lately.

I don't think your car would hang around for very long once you advertise it ...
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
cubist
The Fenland Feltcher

Post by cubist »

Oh, for the days of Thatchers Britain! 10k at start of play, 100k by lunch (which was for wimps by the way) then back to 10k before tiffin... I miss those rollercoaster days, my heart doesn't.

Recently spent a week in Marrakesh easing into my 50th year and realised I need a change of direction for my sanity. As budgets shrink and the clients run scared it's time I cleaned out and started afresh before it costs me dearly. So, new metal in the garage, new entry on my cv and perhaps some tribal piercing in my... well, we'll see! A few options in mind at the moment: I fancy going back into journalism, running a small Riad, van driving, crossing off no6 on my bucket list (Danni said yes, Kylie's still considering...) and generally propping up my plundered and therefore much-reduced pension in some way. Hate being quite so practical but that's maturity for you I guess, it had to catch up with me some time! :wink:

Anybody else reach 50 and get that uneasy, foot-twitching, must-do-more, feeling?
C U B I S T - 1 1 1 5

JB-L
DDK forever

Post by JB-L »

Nooooooo......!!!!!!!!

(Posted before the preceding post appeared) See below.
Last edited by JB-L on Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I love the smell of burnt rubber and hydrocarbons in the morning, it smells of......victory.
DustyM
I need to get out more!

Post by DustyM »

cubist wrote:
Anybody else reach 50 and get that uneasy, foot-twitching, must-do-more, feeling?
Yes but I'm only 41 and already trying to figure out how I'm going to put two sons through university.... 9 years to go untill the first one reaches that age. Perhaps they won't want to go...
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Many feel this way whatever their age.
I'm 59 and have the very same sentiments but i work in manufacturing, you know, when things were made in the UK. :(

Something fresh is a good thing, just be sure you shed things carefully as they will not come back affordably.
I wish you every luck in finding the new begining!
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
DustyM
I need to get out more!

Post by DustyM »

911hillclimber wrote:
Something fresh is a good thing, just be sure you shed things carefully as they will not come back affordably.
Very True, I recently sold a 1962 Lotus Seven I had restored. It's very unlikely I'll ever be able to afford (or at least justify affording, I suppose there is a difference) another.
JB-L
DDK forever

Post by JB-L »

My awakening started a few years before my 50th, took a little while to realise, now about 4 years into it, never been happier and healthier (long may it continue!).

Never forget: THIS IS NOT A REHEARSAL!
I love the smell of burnt rubber and hydrocarbons in the morning, it smells of......victory.
FraserMurray

It has to go...

Post by FraserMurray »

Tell me it's not true. What are we going to use for our romantic drives up to lover's ridge? By that I obviously mean dogging in that car park in Ely.
Fraser Murray
1965 912

fraser@ddk-online.com
cubist
The Fenland Feltcher

Post by cubist »

JB-L wrote:Never forget: THIS IS NOT A REHEARSAL!
Abso-blooody-lutely! Have filled life up to this point with far too many dubious pursuits to tell Grand-kids about (without going on a list somewhere) and feel there's so much more to do and see, whether I can afford it or not. When I eventually get there, I plan on a very disgraceful old age with much swearing from my bath chair and forgetting of underwear. Can't wait :wink:
C U B I S T - 1 1 1 5

KEVFITZ
Married to the DDK

Post by KEVFITZ »

What a far reaching forum !!!....you would'nt get this sort of thread on VZI !!!!!

I had this "out of body" experience at age 59 having waited to see kids through Uni....I took early retirement from a hard commercial life ( 26 years ) with a Global company.
Part of my deal was a total life change and after three funerals of close friends i did it....I bought the 356 I always wanted to compliment my VWt5 California,and now live in a wooden lodge in a Forest on a company pension less than 1/3 of my salary.

No regrets...quite content ( Yorkshire folk can never quite say the word "happy" )
Best of luck with your decisions.
Keep working on the Bucket List
One Life Live it !!!!

Think carefully about the 356...hard to replace !!!!
Moderator....can we start an Agony Aunt Section please?
mycar

Post by mycar »

Some are born to change, some achieve change.... and some have change thrust upon them. :roll:

I`m sitting here in an empty flat, 49 and nine tenths, just a laptop and a slightly bewidered looking cat. We completed on Friday, we move tomorrow into rented... that`s as far as the plan goes.

Without change nothing ever happens...apparently. Anyway Mrs. Mycar is all excited about our leap into the unknown.....

A lodge in a forest you say, That sounds grand, where abouts is that then ?

Regards, Mike.
roy mawbey
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by roy mawbey »

Fifty is really today's thirty :lol: That makes me just short of your previous age :) Apart from the 356 my other hobby is modern jive, still dancing last night till midnight. The best hobby you can think of to keep young and happy.

Shame you have to think of selling. If you don't really have that much affection sell it, but, once gone....

Keep smiling, it's the cure for sure!

:cheers:

Roy
RHD 356A coupe super 75 106954
964RS

Post by 964RS »

KEVFITZ wrote:
and now live ..... on a company pension less than 1/3 of my salary.
In 20 years that is going to sound like an enormous pension!

In fact in 5 years that will probably b something confined to history....

People who were at the top of their careers in the last 15 years are probably at an average level that won't be seen for a long long time again....
----------------------------------------------------
Jason
https://www.SweepingHand.co.uk
Rolex & Omega Watch Purchases & Sales

964RS

Post by 964RS »

cubist wrote:
... think i need a change :(
What is it they say? A change is as good as a holiday?

Wish you all the best with it but it can be difficult coming to terms with life changing events sometimes.

I had mine at 37.

I'm 40 next year.

Still not entirely sure which direction I'm going in or why but I'm sure in time I'll work it out! :lol: :lol:
----------------------------------------------------
Jason
https://www.SweepingHand.co.uk
Rolex & Omega Watch Purchases & Sales