small car needed

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

dogbower
DDK forever

small car needed

Post by dogbower »

Hi
Due to the fact I have pranged the 911 I need to get a stand in.
We were going to look for a winter car anyway so not the end of the world.
Requirements
2nd car only used when the weather is too bad for 911, so want low tax and insurance .
Space for 2 people and a couple of medium dogs, and the odd trip with 4 humans.
Will cover around 4K miles a year.
Budget as little as possible but up to 5K.
Dont know why but keep looking at A2s, cheap tax, good mpg for tdi, and audi build quality. But a bit expensive compared to a polo.
Any suggestions?
Stuart.
1971 911E
1990 986S
james912
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by james912 »

We have a 59 Fiat Grande Punto sporting 120 Diesel, which does 63 mpg on my 120 round trip commute each day. Initially I was not sure about the Fiat but after looking at equal Audi's, Seat's etc I settled on the Fiat.

Glad I did as it has been faultless so far and is a pleasure to drive. Interior could do with a little less plastic, but I compromised and bought a practical car which did a good mpg.
---------------------
James
1969 White (Originally Burgundy) )912
59 Grande Punto D Sporting(Daily)
57 Smart
james912
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by james912 »

Forgot to say... it is £30 road tax a yr as well
---------------------
James
57 Smart
KS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by KS »

Must admit, after researching and then writing the Buyers' Guide for the Grande Punto for Auto Italia, I wouldn't find myself able to recommend one, but hopefully yours is a good one.

To quote:
"It’s a lack of refinement in terms of road (and suspension) noise that lets the side down. One owner posted on an Internet forum that the ride from his 1.3 Multijet was ‘shockingly bad’, accusing the car of ‘crashing and banging over every bump’. And this isn’t an isolated complaint – far from it. Many owners have commented on the amount of suspension noise, from bangs and crashes to persistent squeaks and knocks, one suffering two broken driveshafts and three failed suspension links in less than 20,000 miles.

Other owners have reported problems as diverse as failed seat mountings, self-destructing dashboard vents, prematurely worn brake discs, ABS failure and a broken exhaust system. Sticking doors, problems with the tailgate lock, recalcitrant electric windows – you name it, somebody’s reported it. Frequent complaints about the car in general include a lack of adequate storage space, a lack of power and unimpressive fuel economy.

So, is the Grande Punto really as bad as some owners point out? Well, it is true that for every bad review, there is a more positive one waiting in the wings, and you could argue that, by now, most problems will have been sorted out under warranty – Fiat did send out five recall notices, covering problems with the steering, electrics and the airbags, all of which should have been taken care of. If in doubt, your local Fiat dealer should be able to check via the VIN number. "
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
james912
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by james912 »

So far I have done 20K miles in mine and no problems at all. The ride might be a bit hard but I bought the sporting version because of this so that I can get good mpg and a decent car to chuck around if need be.

It may not be the best car in its class, but I liked looks compared to the to the functional german opposition which tend to look a tad boring nowadays.

Only a suggestion, but it suits my needs at the moment.
---------------------
James
57 Smart
KS

Post by KS »

I have to say, I do like the styling, too! 8)
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

my 2011 impreza would fit the bill on most counts! Maybe not on the insurance, tax and frugality front, but great winter car. I'm probably selling it if it's of interest! Way below your 5k budget!

Graham
Nige

Post by Nige »

I've got a Mk4 Golf Gti 1.8t you can have for £1700, goes like the clappers and is built like a tank. At 4k miles a year I wouldn't worry too much about a diesel.
smallspeed
I used to have a life, then came DDK

Post by smallspeed »

if you want something small and italian how about a panda sporting? supposed to be a bit stiff and bouncy, but good fun to chuck about.. otherwise as graham said a later impreza estate? or an e46 3 series touring? lots of engine and performance options, generally a decent level of kit, etc. good build quality, reliability, comfy, etc..
Bruce M
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Bruce M »

gridgway wrote:my 2011 impreza would fit the bill on most counts! I'm probably selling it if it's of interest! Way below your 5k budget!

Graham
2011 impreza = <£5000 ?
That sounds like a bargain.
pauldvern
DDK slapper chatter

Post by pauldvern »

We have an Audi A2, great little car, cheap to run very versatile. They are holding there money very well too.
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

Bruce M wrote:
gridgway wrote:my 2011 impreza would fit the bill on most counts! I'm probably selling it if it's of interest! Way below your 5k budget!

Graham
2011 impreza = <£5000 ?
That sounds like a bargain.
Doh, horrid finger trouble. I meant 2001!
JB-L
DDK forever

Post by JB-L »

An actual quote from a Fiat car salesman " they're OK if you want styling if you want something reliable go elsewhere" enough said?
I love the smell of burnt rubber and hydrocarbons in the morning, it smells of......victory.
lennyhope
DDK forever

Post by lennyhope »

I have a taxed and tested 1986 Trabant FS. £950. Comes with roof rack.