RS Replica

Replica owners or enthusiasts are very welcome

Moderator: Bootsy

Rupsol
DDK addict

RS Replica

Post by Rupsol »

Hi I am a newbie so please bear with me. I have had a love for 911's for many years but have never been in a position to own one. I think they are a natural progression from all the VW Beetles I used to own/restore/customise as a kid. I am on the lookout for an RS Replica for Sunny Sunday use and show attendance if the wife allows :wink: but I am utterly confused about prices and quality. I have a reasonable budget but I am not going to go mad. I have 3 cars that I have set my sights on....as a forum newbie I dont know whether I am allowed to put links on here to the cars so that I can get some advice? If a mod can advise then I will put the links up ....

regards

Rupert
left4dead
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by left4dead »

Hi Rupert and welcome 8)

Feel free to post the links as there's a good chance the cars will be known here.

Comments/advice/opinions will be sure to follow!
Last edited by left4dead on Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve

1 x '67S, 3 x 2.4S all RHD

A privilege & pleasure to have owned them all.
Rupsol
DDK addict

RS Replica

Post by Rupsol »

Excellent thanks ....here's the first one

http://www.911-retro-works.co.uk/cars.html

Its the replica with the blue script.
bjmullan
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by bjmullan »

Welcome Rupert, and as Steve says put the links up and I'm sure that someone here will know something about them or failing that give you advice on price etc.
Brendan
1969 911T
2007 2.7 Boxster

Pray, hope and don't worry - Padre Pio
Rupsol
DDK addict

RS Replica

Post by Rupsol »

Second one is really floating my boat .... not a true rep but beautiful all the same

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C158729/
Rupsol
DDK addict

RS replica

Post by Rupsol »

No 3 - now on ebay at a start price of less than 20k

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/1358096.htm
Rupsol
DDK addict

RS Replica

Post by Rupsol »

I should add that I am not that bothered about true authenticity. Just want a rust free reliable fun car that looks good. I have pondered about building one myself but suspect that will cost a lot more than 20k if undertaken on a decent car to start with.
hot66

Re: RS Replica

Post by hot66 »

Rupsol wrote:Second one is really floating my boat .... not a true rep but beautiful all the same

that chassis number is a 1969 S , not a 2.4S chassis number
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
Rupsol
DDK addict

Post by Rupsol »

[quote="hot66"][quote="Rupsol"]Second one is really floating my boat .... not a true rep but beautiful all the same

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C158729/[/quote]

that chassis number is a 1969 S , not a 2.4S chassis number[/quote]

So its had an engine change? What sort of power did the S produce and would it be easy to convert to a 2.7?
Rupsol
DDK addict

RS Replica

Post by Rupsol »

Anyone know of any other cars in the early 20's bracket?
hot66

Post by hot66 »

Rupsol wrote:
hot66 wrote:
Rupsol wrote:Second one is really floating my boat .... not a true rep but beautiful all the same

that chassis number is a 1969 S , not a 2.4S chassis number
So its had an engine change? What sort of power did the S produce and would it be easy to convert to a 2.7?
it is an early chassis converted to post 74 look ( i'm assuming this as it could be a later body wearing an early chassis number ??? .... you'd need to check the body in more detail )

Engine wise, it is a 1973 2.4S engine number. These are really nice motors that love to live up near the redline of 7200rpm. Porsche stated 190bhp for one of these. Mine read 200bhp on Bob Watson rollers. This engine is basically exactly the same as the 2.7 Carrera RS motor ... main difference being the larger barrels & pistons on the 2.7. MFI pump was set differently, but apart from that there is no difference. To modify a 2.4S into an 2.7RS motor you'll need to machine the case & heads for the larger B&P's .... which obviously means you're suddenly into a full on engine rebuild :roll: £££££

If it was me , I'd prefer my RS rep to have an MFI equipped motor ( either 2.7RS OR 2.4S ) rather than a later 3.2 unit for example..... but it depends wether you want the experience or just the looks ???

Of course, this car is a real bitza, being neither one thing or another.

I do know of a RHD 2.7RS engined rep coming to the market soon .... not sure of money though. EDIT : it will be more than early 20's though !
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
Nick Moss
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Nick Moss »

Regrading the car from Retro Works, I have the other car they backdated and sold in my workshop at the moment. if you want give me a call I can run you through the quality of the work they do.

Regarding the white/green car on Pistonheads, described as "THIS HAS BEEN PROPERLY AND CORRECTLY AMENDED TO LOOK A CARRERA RS LIGHTWEIGHT." I would say they have never seen a real RS if that's what they think they look like.
Nick Moss - early911.co.uk - Fuchs refurbishment
07980 017994
nick@early911.co.uk
Rupsol
DDK addict

RS Replica

Post by Rupsol »

[quote="nick-moss"]Regrading the car from Retro Works, I have the other car they backdated and sold in my workshop at the moment. if you want give me a call I can run you through the quality of the work they do.

Regarding the white/green car on Pistonheads, described as "THIS HAS BEEN PROPERLY AND CORRECTLY AMENDED TO LOOK A CARRERA RS LIGHTWEIGHT." I would say they have never seen a real RS if that's what they think they look like.[/quote]

Thats very kind....I agree about the green one lol
Rupsol
DDK addict

Post by Rupsol »

[quote="hot66"][quote="Rupsol"][quote="hot66"][quote="Rupsol"]Second one is really floating my boat .... not a true rep but beautiful all the same

that chassis number is a 1969 S , not a 2.4S chassis number[/quote]

So its had an engine change? What sort of power did the S produce and would it be easy to convert to a 2.7?[/quote]

it is an early chassis converted to post 74 look ( i'm assuming this as it could be a later body wearing an early chassis number ??? .... you'd need to check the body in more detail )

Engine wise, it is a 1973 2.4S engine number. These are really nice motors that love to live up near the redline of 7200rpm. Porsche stated 190bhp for one of these. Mine read 200bhp on Bob Watson rollers. This engine is basically exactly the same as the 2.7 Carrera RS motor ... main difference being the larger barrels & pistons on the 2.7. MFI pump was set differently, but apart from that there is no difference. To modify a 2.4S into an 2.7RS motor you'll need to machine the case & heads for the larger B&P's .... which obviously means you're suddenly into a full on engine rebuild :roll: £££££

If it was me , I'd prefer my RS rep to have an MFI equipped motor ( either 2.7RS OR 2.4S ) rather than a later 3.2 unit for example..... but it depends wether you want the experience or just the looks ???

Of course, this car is a real bitza, being neither one thing or another.

I do know of a RHD 2.7RS engined rep coming to the market soon .... not sure of money though. EDIT : it will be more than early 20's though ![/quote]

Be interested to know how much more - may be able to stretch the budget
Rupsol
DDK addict

Post by Rupsol »

[quote="Rupsol"]Second one is really floating my boat .... not a true rep but beautiful all the same

Had a chat with this guy and seems pleasant enough...car was originally LHD but has been converted. Is this a good or a bad thing?