Removal of front bumperettes - deco rubber insert missing

An archive of any Porsche 911 technical threads

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

super_golfer
DDK Fanatic

Removal of front bumperettes - deco rubber insert missing

Post by super_golfer »

Ive just taken off the front bumperettes from my 1967 912 (well actually one fell off - it was held on with cable ties). I think it improves the looks, but I am left with two gaps in the rubber insert.
My question is, can I get a small piece of this rubber anywhere, so I can make up two small sections, or must I buy a complete new piece (plus the chrome trim as well??).
An added complication is that I believe the front bumper has been replaced at some point (no lamp blanks and a 'spoiler' effect). Is this an 'S' bumper, and if so, is the trim wider than the standard?

Cheers
67RHD912
52 MGTD
DIRKBROWNFINGER
DDK forever

Post by DIRKBROWNFINGER »

I cant remember which company I used, but I googled rubber matting and got free samples in 1mm 1.5 and 2.0mm thick rubber, and made the gasket i needed from that? Not sure how big the piece is that you need.

Dirk.
DIRK BROWNFINGER.
1970 911 S TARGA LHD.
Lightweight_911
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Lightweight_911 »

Sounds like you've got a later 'S' bumper fitted as you hinted.

The decor trim - aluminium with rubber insert - is wider on the 'S' trim than on your original bumper but repro trim in both sizes is available from many outlets such as Roger Bray:

http://www.rogerbrayrestoration.com/trim1.html

Alternatively if you just want some short pieces of the rubber insert I have an old length that I could cut you some sections from.
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”