Is it just me, or...

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

gridgway
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Is it just me, or...

Post by gridgway »

Chuck away £4k? Nuts!
jjeffries
DDK slapper chatter

Post by jjeffries »

Keith, I agree entirely. The smugness exuded by many of those who put their names on such jobs further annoys me … as if they’re SO much cleverer than anyone who worked at Porsche AG. I don’t even like the word “build” anymore … often just an opportunity for some name-dropping and spend-boasting. We could do a little contest to write the most irksome sentences, as if from the mouths of those who propagate such nonsense.

Gribbledy Grobbeldy Goo! Another cantankerous old fart with white hair, I remain, yours truly, etc

John
911MRP
DDK above all

Post by 911MRP »

I too at times feel hot rod, outlaw, restomod and so forth has become a bit sad and lame. Everything gets dubbed a hot rod outlaw … please?!

I had to walk out of a well attended talk a few years back being given the beardy bloke who seems to add rennsport and sports purpose touches to his cars as if he invented such things. I simply couldn’t bear to listen to him prattle on when at the time of the event I was writing and preparing to deliver a funeral eulogy for a much loved friend and member of the early 911 community a who had passed away. Someone who had built an independent Porsche business since the mid-seventies who was a humble generous real deal 911 expert.

At times, the way things have developed puts me in mind of the episode of Friends when Joey cottons-on to Porsche to seem more cool or maybe even more like when Homer Simpson gets a new hipster friend/neighbour then Springfield becomes a magnet for such folks.

Someone I know who had previous good taste and often had interesting
cars got got caught up in a Harley Davidson thing — the bike, the accessories, the clothing but unfortunately he came over as a “pseud” by appropriating from the real deal. Trying to be cool but managed to be the opposite. More “sad” than “bad”. Maybe I’m getting old but preferred when it wasn’t cool and frankly baffled many people why I had some old car rather than like them a new expensive BMW or similar.

Steve
Nige

Post by Nige »

Thing is, it ain't new so don't get wound up about it. These cars have been fiddled with one way or other over the years more times than trouser styles. We can all say I wore that or did that years ago before you was even born, and even then we probably wasn't the first to do it anyway.

Chill brothers.
KS

Post by KS »

You've missed the point of the original post. I'm not against anyone modifying Porsches – heaven knows, I've been guilty of that for years. It's the endless Singer look-alikes that are flooding the scene, virtually all of which are symphonies in form over function. Few match the style or quality of the Singer (a car/style which does little for me, I admit), and I personally am tired of it. 'Stance', air-ride, yada, yada... Ugh!

It's the Porsche equivalent of hipster pseudo café racer motorcycles, which are all chunky tyres, flat 'skateboard' seats (preferably trimmed in brown) and bugger all like the true café racers of old (eg, Tritons, with clip-ons and rear sets, reverse cone megas, ally tanks etc etc) and couldn't go round a corner fast if you tried.

I'll go away now, as I'm angry about a totally unrelated topic.
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
Sam

Post by Sam »

Plus ca change. There were plenty of iffy places that would take people’s money in the 80s and 90s if they couldn’t stretch to a Bernie retrim or Paintbox paint job. Though that was all at 10-times less money of course.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
Ollie
DDK forever

Post by Ollie »

Hugo 356 wrote:The resto-mod epitomises the gentrification of axle grease :(
Great quote... I will find a way to use it sometime :lol:
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Dare I say that over the weekend the idea of creating a fibreglass speedster with an electronic motor, somewhere in the future, flashed in my mind. I immediately had a cold shower. I think it was my sub conscious admitting I might never own a real one and if the opportunity came, and I had the cash. I wouldn't be able to part with the money.

Sent from my M2004J19C using Tapatalk
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

neilbardsley wrote:Dare I say that over the weekend the idea of creating a fibreglass speedster with an electronic motor, somewhere in the future, flashed in my mind. I immediately had a cold shower.
Read the IVA manual - will put all of those thoughts to bed
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
911MRP
DDK above all

Post by 911MRP »

I went to an industry event at Millbrook last summer. There was a Westfield Electric XI, around the the challenging alpine, bowl etc. Left me “cold” despite the hot sunny day that should’ve been a delight in a sporting car. Plenty poke just devoid of something. I’ve driven the same in my 73 911 and by contrast it was wonderful.

Steve
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

What a group of moaning grumpy old gits you lot are. One old bloke says how he doesn't like the wave of singer Wannabees, and somehow we've got to moaning about an electric westy 11.

I challenge you all. Look back objectively to a period you cherish, and honestly evaluate how much it was clichéd to the fashion of the time. No different now. Things come into fashion and then they end up looking naff.

Hands up all you people who thought that lowered veedubs was the place to be

Instead, think young, enjoy your personal perspectives and celebrate what others are doing too.

Cheers!
Graham
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

:P Lowered dubs are still cool (except those silly air bagged ones ) :P
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
911MRP
DDK above all

Post by 911MRP »

Nothing cliched about the halcyon days of my first car Daytona yellow mk 1 Capri, it had a black vinyl roof. So it must’ve been good ;)
BILLY BEAN
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by BILLY BEAN »

gridgway wrote: celebrate what others are doing too.
Graham
Why if in my view something is a waste of time / effort / money / aesthetically questionable/ has poor engineering values etc ? That is not to say that it bothers me what other people do to their cars but you seem to suggest, by implication, that we have to abandon critical faculties and " celebrate"? Or is that "think young" ?
Rust Never Sleeps
RobFrost
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by RobFrost »

Thought I'd stumbled on an episode of grumpy old men for a minute.

Ironically, I'm the owner of both a forward-dated pre-74 car complete with iroc spoiler and velour 1980s Recaro Turbo seats, as well as a backdated impact bumper car! The longevity of the base 911 platform, interchangeability of parts and persistent value of the cars make it inevitable that cars will get modified through the years to suit fashions of the day. Mods offer owners the looks of early cars and the performance of later cars or of premium models.

You will doubtless be unsurprised that Porsche enthusiasts encourage me to remove the whale tail and return the pre-74 to original, but is this predilection for stock cars really any different to today's fashion for restomods? I have a great affinity for my forward-dated 911, cracked paint, rust and all, precisely because you will have to go a very long way see another one, and it tells a story of its ownership through the years. Is the tumultuous cry to return it to its original, homogeneous, generic 911 state, any different to the cry to turn it into the generic restomod genre?

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
1970 911T, Signal orange (Restoration thread)
1988 3.2 Carrera backdate, Black
2001 996 Turbo, Lapis blue (am I allowed to put that here?)
I'm looking for a pre-impact bumper 911S or other high-revving 911 to restore - please let me know if you see one.