When something falls off

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

23e Heure
I used to have a life, then came DDK

Re: When something falls off

Post by 23e Heure »

This thread reminds me of the John Whitmore GT40.

Start first with this clip I uploaded to YouTube yonks ago, the car losing a wheel at the Targa in 1965:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxoAuSmyPOA

Then let me pick up the story 43 years later in 2008 when I was at the Spa 6 Hours weekend.
After it was retired it from racing in the late 60s, the owner of a Ford dealership in the UK bought it from the factory, over time it was forgotten and subsequently thought "lost" for decades.
After the owner died, in 2005 the car was found rotting in one of his lock ups in Stratford.
It found a new owner, who spent 2 years having it fully restored to its Le Mans 65 spec (repainted white, rather than Linden Green as it ran at the Targa just a month earlier).
In 2008 he took it to race at Spa.

Trundling along the pits before the Friday practise session I was delighted to spot the car, and found and chatted to the owner.
I joked with him "Well you know what happened to the car at the 65 Targa, you'd better make sure those wheels are on tight!"
He said "Oh yes, its a tradition to give them an extra knock or two before we go out on track".
You can see it at the start of this clip here, at the practice session:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LzcjgUISX8

Anyway, in the 6 Hour race the next day... the left rear wheel came off the car at Eau Rouge, and the car was wrecked :shock:
You couldn't make it up, could you. Talk about tempting fate!

Happily the driver was unhurt, the car was rebuilt again, and out racing again the next year, albeit this time in my preferred Targa spec, in Linden Green.
James
'87 R4 GTL Clan
'74 914/6 3.0 Texas GT
'73 911 2.7 RS Replica LHD
'72 911 2.4 E RHD (Sold)
wildtexas
DDK slapper chatter

Post by wildtexas »

Not the guy who converted my navy blue NAB916K into a beach buggy, was it? Circa 1991. I loved that car and was gutted it got turned into a buggy. Ironically, I felt the ride go lumpy on way to an MOT, checked the rear left wheel and all the nuts were half an inch out - but nothing fell off on that occasion. Scrounged a brace from a nearby homeowner to tighten them. There must be something about those VW nuts that makes them work loose if not fully tightened. I do remember they needed massive torque. Big fat bolts with a wide thread pitch if I remember correctly.[/quote]

I bought the fast back in 93, I think the buggy was an invader if that rings any bells. Don't recall the buggy reg no.

The guys initials were PJB.
RobFrost
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by RobFrost »

Remind me to get a bottle of loctite with my next gt40.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
1970 911T, Signal orange (Restoration thread)
1988 3.2 Carrera backdate, Black
2001 996 Turbo, Lapis blue (am I allowed to put that here?)
I'm looking for a pre-impact bumper 911S or other high-revving 911 to restore - please let me know if you see one.
KS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by KS »

This must be one of you lot...

Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Yes, that’s me on the right
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
rhd racer
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by rhd racer »

KS wrote:This must be one of you lot...

No, that’s not cal-look :lol:
93 964 C2
99 Boxster 2.5 > 2.7 hill climber

71 914/6 3.0 - gone

'You see Paul, hill climbing is like making love to a beautiful woman. You get your motor running, check your fluids, hang on tight and WHOA..30 seconds later it's all over!' Swiss Tony
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

rhd racer wrote:
No, that’s not cal-look :lol:
You sure it's not a Brit Cal Look from the 80s, small wheels and lots of negative camber? :lol:
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk