930 Backdate

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

DustyM
I need to get out more!

Re: 930 Backdate

Post by DustyM »

So the mission starts to re-assemble the car.

No choice but to start with the wiring loom, however as I have removed a lot of the Turbo's added extras I didn't want to reuse the original loom as it would have a lot of redundant wires and connections, so I bought a new earlier front to back turbo loom and an SC front loom, for the most part this is working out but there is some head scratching going on figuring out what goes where and what I'll have to modify.

So I took a break from the head scratching and put together the brake servo assembly.

The servo itself was rubbed down and repainted, the pedestal vapour blasted, the master cylinder is new and of course I had to swap the reservoir for a G50 version as the clutch is now hydraulic

sladey
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by sladey »

Nice - I would NOT like to install a loom - especially where you're joining two other looms together - good luck

I notice your brake light 'switches' - it's on my job list to replace mine with something actuated from the brake pedal as these require a bit of pressure before they work which is not good - and I've got a new one installed.
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
DustyM
I need to get out more!

Post by DustyM »

sladey wrote: I notice your brake light 'switches' - it's on my job list to replace mine with something actuated from the brake pedal as these require a bit of pressure before they work which is not good - and I've got a new one installed.
Yes I've been thinking about that also since I'm not using any of the dash warning lights that are part of the brake light circuit and also operate via those switches on the master cylinder. It would be simpler to use a pedal mounted switch.
sladey

Post by sladey »

When you've got someone behind you who is a bit close and a bit dopey the earlier you can get the brake lights on the better
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
Jonny Hart
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Jonny Hart »

DustyM wrote:
sladey wrote: I notice your brake light 'switches' - it's on my job list to replace mine with something actuated from the brake pedal as these require a bit of pressure before they work which is not good - and I've got a new one installed.
Yes I've been thinking about that also since I'm not using any of the dash warning lights that are part of the brake light circuit and also operate via those switches on the master cylinder. It would be simpler to use a pedal mounted switch.
Ironically, the only thing the brake warning light has ever 'told me' is that the brake warning light switches were leaking!
DustyM
I need to get out more!

Post by DustyM »

Couple of other jobs done.

I glued some heat shield fabric to the rear of the back bumper

and then fixed on the heat shield I had made previously, hopefully this will stop the heat from the turbo damaging the paint on the bumper.

I also started to reassemble the rear suspension arms

911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

I love the way you re-plate everything on your rebuilds, makes such a difference to the overall and details of the car, even when unseen in the end.
Top notch imho.

I thought it was only me and my 911 that was a magnet for 'space-invaders' from all directions...
Seen the price of the early brake pedal actuated switches now? :roll:
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
101sinbad
Married to the DDK

Post by 101sinbad »

I don't know how I missed this......looks amazing Jon.

Love the colour and the general ingenuity

Amazing
Flat 6
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Flat 6 »

Wow, what a project. Great combination of deep technical knowledge, ingenuity and creativity! Takes some ba**s (and expense and time) to go this way on a car that would have been worth a fair bit if restored to original spec.

Look forward to seeing it at Le Mans Classic! Maybe you could sneak it into the relevant 'Plateau'!

Al
DDK#732

1981 SC Coupe, now in Dublin
1978 SC Targa, now in Aberdeen
1978 SC Coupe, now in London
1983 SC Coupe, now in London
1973 2.4T...under restoration...VERY slow restoration.
puddy1
DDK Newbie

Post by puddy1 »

Looking good and lovely colour , have you had your trailing arms cromated/anodised in some way as they are pretty corroded like mine were around the spring plate holes , or planning on some kind of wax oil to prevent future corrosion .
DustyM
I need to get out more!

Post by DustyM »

puddy1 wrote:Looking good and lovely colour , have you had your trailing arms cromated/anodised in some way as they are pretty corroded like mine were around the spring plate holes , or planning on some kind of wax oil to prevent future corrosion .
Just vapour blasted and coated with Gibbs, will use some kind of grease or wax between the arms and other components on assembly but not the rest of the arm.
tea boy
DDK addict

Post by tea boy »

DustyM wrote: Just vapour blasted and coated with Gibbs
What is Gibbs?
It is slowly getting hotter, IB hot rod build.http://retrorides.proboards.com/thread/ ... orsche-911
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Like wd40 but better with magic inside!

http://www.gibbsbrand.info
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
tea boy
DDK addict

Post by tea boy »

Bootsy wrote:Like wd40 but better with magic inside!

http://www.gibbsbrand.info
That sounds just like magic.
It is slowly getting hotter, IB hot rod build.http://retrorides.proboards.com/thread/ ... orsche-911
GazC2
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by GazC2 »

Had a read through the thread last night and this is officially my favourite project bar none on the go at the moment, cracking work Jon and worthy of all the positive comments love seeing top class workmanship well done sir. Now if only I could make my 997TT look like this