cdi failure - what happens?

For classic Porsche 911 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

MT
DDK rules my life!

cdi failure - what happens?

Post by MT »

If you are of an inquiring mind, and being retired can fill your mind with idle thoughts, you might have wondered how you might know when your cdi box gives up after its 40 years or so of sparking for a living .... well yesterday I found out. :oops:

2 and a half hours by the side of the A29 nervously watching idiots try to kill themselves (and me and my good lady) despite the fact we were on a half mile stretch of old Roman road and hence straight with great views of what's to come. Seems some folk only look a few yards ahead. Lots of good folk stopped to see if they could help - even a lady police officer, but I called a recovery truck through my insurance to take us home (we had been out for 80 odd miles, and came to a halt only 5m from home). And before any of my so-called mates pipe up - yes I know the engine is at the back - but it seems to transmit to the wider public you are broken down if you raise the bonnet. :)

Apart from a very short bit of spluttering just after I refilled the tank - (both my 911's do this - no idea why) - the car ran strongly and smoothly. That is until I 'stretched her legs' a little on said straight sections of the A29 near Ockley. Then it began with an odd misfire, quickly increasing to missing more and more, and then a progressive loss of power as more cylinders were dropping out, until a final giving up altogether. I suspected the points/coil/box right from the start, but was nagged by the thought of the petrol refill 20 miles earlier. What was confusing was that when I tested the output from the coil by the roadside I did get the occasional spark.
Indeed when I got home and pretty much eliminated fuel supply as a cause, I still got the odd spark, and the car would almost run - behaving like the timing was off or the fuel supply was poor, with much spluttering and back-firing.

Anyway I checked the points (no change), changed the coil for the one off the Doctors car (no change), and then for a spare cdi box that I knew was good ..... and off we went. Still wasn't running perfectly, but that turned out to be a poorly set points gap in my diagnostic faffing. Normal service resumed.

Thought I'd record this for the benefit of others in the future. Only one data point I know.
I normally carry spare points/coil/box, but the law of Sod had intervened and I had taken them out a few days earlier so I could carry some stuff under the bonnet. My additional learning is to stuff some tie-wraps in the tool bag as you would need something to hang the replacement cdi box up with - changing it over permanently requires the board be removed and that is a faff, and not a roadside job. You need to get the car to a safe spot quickly. We were lucky in one sense that the weather was good and where it died had reasonably good visibility.

Bigger learning is I'm going for one of Jonny Hart's new fangled boxes when they're available. My faith in 40 year old electronics is evaporating .....

Mick
'Creativity is the product of time wasted' Albert Einstein

1972 RHD 2.4E (ex Bob Watson racer - now in original Tangerine)
1966 LHD swb (Doctors car - now with Mrs. Ferrari in Madrid)
1966 TR4A (now sold and replaced by 1990 944 turbo)
1966 S2a Landrover
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Re: cdi failure - what happens?

Post by Bootsy »

Describes my experience a few years ago when mine went
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
impmad2000
I need to get out more!

Post by impmad2000 »

I can fix CDI boxes. Please let me know if you'd like me to take a look. I agree that the Jonny Hart ones look really interesting, but in the mean time.....
Tim Bennett
RHD Targa 2.2T EFI, Triumph ITB's, EDIS and Megasquirt.
"Old enough to know what's right and young enough not to choose it"
MT
DDK rules my life!

Post by MT »

Thanks Tim - I will send you a pm.
I have this one and another that I've never tested, but assume is u/s because something is loose inside and is rattling about.

Mick

1966 S2a Landrover
210bhp
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 210bhp »

Thanks for the running report. Always good to know what it actually feels like so diagnosis is honed.
I like the way Mrs T is suitable impressed looking when you have just said "don't worry love, I think I know what's wrong".

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
73 2.4E (home after 25 years) and Sold again :-(
73T targa (signal yellow project)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
https://www.mybespokeroom.com/
MT
DDK rules my life!

Post by MT »

She was on her best behaviour Mike.... although the edges were showing as the time of her evening tennis match approached and the recovery driver called to say he'd gone in the wrong direction and would be another half hour. All was OK in the end, so I escaped retribution.

I think she sensed it was not a time for levity or smart-arsed commentary ..... she's clever like that..... :wink:

1966 S2a Landrover
Fuchs915
DDK addict

Post by Fuchs915 »

SilverWT (Mark) over on IB has been one of Jonny's test mules so might be worth asking him if either his original unit or the unit he has been running for Jonny is available.

Kevin
Dingbat
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Dingbat »

Hi all
As a stopgap I wired up a customer's car with a condenser so his car would run whilst his box was being fixed , it worked fine and got him out of trouble .
Jonny Hart
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Jonny Hart »

I have an assortment of original non-working boxes and there a numerous failure modes. Some whine, some don't, some spark intermittently, some spark until they get to a certain RPM, some spark but not "on time". Oh, and one set fire to itself.

I won't ever dis the original Bosch engineers - they can be proud of a design that can still work 40 years later but there comes a point where components are well beyond their sell by date. Factor in all those heat and power cycles, the vibration and electrically noisy environment and it is a small marvel that these work at all at their age.

From what I read Tim B does a sterling job repairing these and I'm sure that he has a go to list of common failures. In my view, though, even a repaired unit is just waiting for the next weakest component to break, hence we took a fresh approach of a complete redesign.

Our first batch is in production and will be available in a couple of weeks.
MT
DDK rules my life!

Post by MT »

Jonny reminds me - my box continued to 'whine' throughout, so although the absence might well indicate a u/s box, presence does not mean it is working ok!

I'll watch out for availability of the new boxes.

I also intend to get Tim to look at 2 cdi boxes and repair them if sensible as I intend to keep the Doctors car on cdi.

Mick

1966 S2a Landrover
MT
DDK rules my life!

Post by MT »

Dingbat wrote:Hi all
As a stopgap I wired up a customer's car with a condenser so his car would run whilst his box was being fixed , it worked fine and got him out of trouble .
And this was using the original black coil? I thought this would either not work or f**k the coil?
I thought an original Kettering set up required a blue coil with much higher secondary resistance.

Good to know if it will work and not knack the coil.....

1966 S2a Landrover
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

I hope that wasn't the box you bought from me! Mind you I think the warranty has expired!
Dingbat
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Dingbat »

Hi
On reflection I did stick a bosch blue coil on it as I was not sure on ruining it on the ceiling one, bibs box had packed in due to a dry joint so it was a cheap fix .
MT
DDK rules my life!

Post by MT »

gridgway wrote:I hope that wasn't the box you bought from me! Mind you I think the warranty has expired!
No Graham, it wasn't........ yours was my spare, so it's on there now........ :shock: :shock:

Be in touch if it fails to live up to expectation.

1966 S2a Landrover
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

well at least it's getting some use! I bought it from Nick Moss as a spare from memory too!