... that is the question

For classic Porsche 911 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

scalino65
DDK rules my life!

Re: 2L enigne to tune or replace... that is the question

Post by scalino65 »

955sp wrote:
scalino65 wrote:when you get the gearbox rebuilt, chuck in some lower ratios. You'llwant 160bhp and to add some lightness. Spend the money on suspension and drive the wheels off it.
Unfortunately I have little to no experience appropriate ratios. I have seen a 915 box with the following:

RUNING ON 7 TOOTH PINION 7:31
1ST GEAR 11:35
2ND GEAR 18:35
3RD GEAR 23:29
4TH GEAR 27:25
5TH GEAR 29:22

Any good?
dunno to be honest. i have "nurburgring" ratios in mine whatever they are and its great. Maybe chat to mike bainbridge. whereabouts are you? you're welcome to try mine sometime
Lightweight_911
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Lightweight_911 »

What's your past experience/history in terms of early 911's ?

If limited, then I'd try & get a ride in a few different early 911's - std & modified - with a range of engine specs to help you decide.
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
hot66

Post by hot66 »

ignore power figures .. look at how different engines deliver the power

for example I love the power delivery of my 2.4S .... others would hate it as you really need to be spinning 5K + before the real power starts
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
squirdan
DDK rules my life!

Post by squirdan »

955sp wrote:
scalino65 wrote:when you get the gearbox rebuilt, chuck in some lower ratios. You'llwant 160bhp and to add some lightness. Spend the money on suspension and drive the wheels off it.
Unfortunately I have little to no experience appropriate ratios. I have seen a 915 box with the following:

RUNING ON 7 TOOTH PINION 7:31
1ST GEAR 11:35
2ND GEAR 18:35
3RD GEAR 23:29
4TH GEAR 27:25
5TH GEAR 29:22

Any good?
This is the gearbox that's been rebuilt for my hotrod

Megane R26R
Discovery Sport
Defender 110
BMW R9T
Trek Superfly
but sadly no Porsches any more
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

That's just a tickle.
My sheet was 2 x deeper because it is an alum cased 915.
And it only had a bit of a 'snick' on the synchro on 2nd.

I think the bill was close to £2500 and done at close to Mates-Rates.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
PMNorris
DDK slapper chatter

Post by PMNorris »

I decided to go for the 3.0 SC engine swap for my 2.2T and keep the original matching numbers engine intact.The cost creeps up pretty quickly if you want to backdate the exhaust, fit PMO carbs, new ignition and external oil cooler as i'm doing. By the time i've finished and beautified the engine a bit i will exceed my original budget of £10k.
1970 2.2 911 T / Ex RS Clone, now more original looking, with 1979 3.2 SS engine
1988 3.2 Carrera Commemorative edition (sold)
Superlight7
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Superlight7 »

What ignition system are you going for, I've just removed a 3.0SC from my 72 to replace with a 2.5ST so may have a setup for sale in the coming weeks.
1972 911E
1995 993 Targa

1963 Austin Healey (Restored and in long term storage)
Cayenne (The Daily Driver)
Caterham 7 Superlight R400 (Race Car)
BMW Mini Cooper S (Wife's Shopper)
BMW ZM (Wife's "Toy")
Stable yard of horses!!!
210bhp

Post by 210bhp »

Go completely stock. Engine, sporto, colour, interior. It will give the best return should you ever want to sell, the easiest rebuild and miles of smiles knowing you have something nobody else has. Vic Elford raced/rallied a sporto in 68/69 and won!

For sale in the USA right now at $75k. Try and get that price for a bitsa.

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
73 2.4E (home after 25 years) and Sold again :-(
73T targa (signal yellow project)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
https://www.mybespokeroom.com/
PMNorris
DDK slapper chatter

Post by PMNorris »

I've bought an elf ignition system. The problem is that the CDI from the 70 engine has different connections and the 79 distributor isnt compatible with PMO carbs without a reprofile, so elf ignition will sort all this out. Obviously i will keep all the original parts.
1970 2.2 911 T / Ex RS Clone, now more original looking, with 1979 3.2 SS engine
1988 3.2 Carrera Commemorative edition (sold)
TheEasyLife
I luv DDK!

Post by TheEasyLife »

210bhp wrote:Go completely stock. Engine, sporto, colour, interior. It will give the best return should you ever want to sell, the easiest rebuild and miles of smiles knowing you have something nobody else has. Vic Elford raced/rallied a sporto in 68/69 and won!

For sale in the USA right now at $75k. Try and get that price for a bitsa.

Regards
Mike
I have a nice bitsa car (73T with a 72E engine with ITB's on EFI and crankfire ignition) and find myself mostly in agreement with Mike. There are so few sporto's left and I beleive most people who slate them haven't actually driven one. I have and it wasn't a problem for me. They are not automatics, just a manual without a clutch pedal. Mike Bainbridge in Kendal is the man to speak to about them in the UK.

If it was me, I would go for original colour, interior and gearbox but uprate the engine in ways that nobody can see for better performance (higher compression pistons and E cams). These are mostly period correct and should be good for your 150bhp and maybe more.. In a SWB car that will be great fun. I've driven a friends 150+ bhp 2.2T and it is fantastic (but struggled with the dogleg 901 gearbox!). Please don't go down the 3.0/3.2 route as the joy of the early cars is that they are revvier than the 'lazy' 3.2's which are more torquey. S cams as James has said, come alive after 5K revs, E cams have a good power in the lower/mid revs but don't have the top end kick/grunt of S cams whichmakes them nicer for most on a day to day basis as you can't get to 5K+ revs in town usually. Do your own research and note that lots on here are now choosing E cams over S cams as you are in the power band in most normal modern road driving situations. (and we are all jealous of James living in the sticks and having his high compression rev happy 2.4S to play with on empty roads :-) )

Don't get hung up on power (pot kettle black). As most have said, these cars can keep up with the faster 911's on runs to CLM etc and to paraphrase a moderators tagline, 'its about how you go fast, not how fast you go'. SOrt out the bodywork, fit F+R ARB's, decent brakes this will make a world of difference.

My only other comments would be not to throw away any original bits that you don't put back on the car if you change them for other components. Original standard seats if you change to sports seats, original door cards if you go for the lightweight look, door pockets, etc. etc. Clean them all and pack them away safely so that it can be returned to as near as dammit original in the future if you or the next owner wants.

HTH and isn't too patronising. Its your car, you choose what you want to use it for and make it appropriate for that use. And we are the Maverick club after all.

James
1979 SC Targa - Long term project - in storage - purchased 10/16 - last looked at it in 08/18..
Fascinated with 911 seats and induction systems!

Previously
1973 911T in Gulf Blue (with 2.4E ITB's, EFI and EDIS) - from 07 till 16. Sorely missed.
955sp
DDK Fanatic

Post by 955sp »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by 955sp on Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
955sp
DDK Fanatic

Post by 955sp »

TheEasyLife wrote:
210bhp wrote:
I have a nice bitsa car (73T with a 72E engine with ITB's on EFI and crankfire ignition) and find myself mostly in agreement with Mike. There are so few sporto's left and I beleive most people who slate them haven't actually driven one. I have and it wasn't a problem for me. They are not automatics, just a manual without a clutch pedal. Mike Bainbridge in Kendal is the man to speak to about them in the UK.

Thanks James for your comments I really quite like the idea of a sporto but the problem I am quickly learning with classic cars (my first!) is that everything costs a fortune to sort. So if I do have the sporto box stripped and sorted it could literally cost thousands and then if I dont get on with it... :? eg. I like leaving my hand on the gear stick and I hear that this causes the microswitch to engage the clutch ready for the shift.

I know what a standard gearbox feels like and after finding a rebuilt 915 box with a guarantee I already know the total cost so I can plan. I will certainly wrap the sporto box up and store it with every other part from the car but logic and finances dictate that I cannot retain it.
955sp
DDK Fanatic

Post by 955sp »

Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

955sp wrote:
$75k or £45k for a restored 1969 911T! Mike is that suppose to tempt me to keeping it stock? The first resto quote I got was £90k and the car cost me £16k with delivery!

I think Mike was demonstrating that if you're looking at keeping the difference between the amount invested into your car and it's possible market value to a minimum then a 'stock T' will realise more (and be a lot easier to sell) than a 'bitsa T' all be it a fair bit less than you'll be investing in the first place.
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
955sp
DDK Fanatic

Post by 955sp »