Any 1973 911 RS owners around?

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

LondonRob
DDK Newbie

Any 1973 911 RS owners around?

Post by LondonRob »

I saw this posted on 911uk.com and thought it might be something somebody here could help with?

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?p=934875#934875

"Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:40 pm Post subject: can anyone help please????

Hi all.

As you can see I am new to the forum but unfortunately I don't own a 911 myself but they are one of my cars I plan to own when finances allow?

this request is really for my father who is really unwell after suffering a stroke and early dementia at the age of 65.
He and mother live in Bath and I in very windy Cornwall.

my father owned a few early 911's in the 60's and 70's but one of his most loved cars of all time was a blue 1973 911 rst which he bought in 1976 from Autofarm when we lived in Banbury reg:PMC 134L

He sold it in 1981 I think to a gentleman on the isle of man where I believe its undergoing a resto with a private reg.

What I was wondering and if its at all possible is there anyone in the Bath area or even anywhere that would be able to make my father a very happy man before he gets too unwell and give him a ride in a 1973 911 rs??? I know its a massive favour to ask but would be an amazing experience that would mean so much to him.
He has so many wonderful memories of driving PMC to Austria and has a Cine-8 film of the car which I have caught him watching a lot recently.

Thanks so much for taking the time to read and again sorry for the random post.

Thanks James "
seawise
DDK above all

Re: Any 1973 911 RS owners around?

Post by seawise »

I lost my father in 2012 after a long battle with dementia. Its a very sad way to lose a loved one, so cruel for many reasons but especially touching when they have moments of recall and normality mixed with the daily confusion, fear and frustration. If i hadn't sold my 2.7 RS recently i would have been delighted to help. I hope someone here can help this chap, clearly a man we would all have a connection with being a past early 911 owner.
'94 993 C2
'04 GT3 RS
'15 Cayman GT4

'14 E63 AMG bi-turbo estate
'16 Ferrari FF
Mitch
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Mitch »

Rob, thanks for posting and I'm happy to help so would you mind getting James to pm you over there with a phone number & pm me?

Oliver, sorry to hear about your Father, I'm sure that was very hard on everyone.

Thomas, thanks for pointing me to the post!
Darren65
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Darren65 »

Mitch wrote:I'm happy to help
8)
sladey

Post by sladey »

Nice one Nigel
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
seawise
DDK above all

Post by seawise »

Nigel, thats fantastic - i was hoping you'd spot this !
'94 993 C2
'04 GT3 RS
'15 Cayman GT4

'14 E63 AMG bi-turbo estate
'16 Ferrari FF
Alan @ CanfordClassics

Post by Alan @ CanfordClassics »

Hi, I have a blue ST tribute car if that can help. It's very quick and noisy. If it/I can help let me know.

Alan
http://www.canfordclassics.co.uk
Porsche Restoration & Sales
LondonRob
DDK Newbie

Post by LondonRob »

I knew there'd be a good response from you DDKers. :salute:

I've dropped James a message for contact details and will pass them on as soon as I hear back from him.
LondonRob
DDK Newbie

Post by LondonRob »

Mitch (Nigel) has the contact details and is going to make the arrangements from here. However, James has asked me to post this picture of his dad's car and say thanks for him as he isn't able to get online to get on to DDK at the moment and say thanks himself.

Alan - I'm not sure if your car will be needed or not but Nigel will check with James and let you know.

I've been lurking on here for years since a failed attempt to buy an early 911 about 10 years ago. I've now turned to the dark side and own a 993 but I still pop in here occasionally to get my fix of earlier Porsches (and to hear you complain about Top Gear and lust after Scandinavian detectives...). So I was pretty confident of a good response from here when I saw James' post. You didn't fail. Thanks again. :thumbup:

KS

Post by KS »

8)
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Good work Rob and thanks for making the connection. I've now spoken to James and they'd like to go for a drive in Mar/Apr so will sort it out nearer the time.

Alan, that's good offer and will pass it on... sorry, I forgot earlier :?

Seeing that great pic got me thinking that there can't have been many Glacier Blue RS so had a look at the book to check... yep, only 16. It's RHD so a quick scan shows only 2 delivered to UK... #426 & #522 and the latter was delivered with no spoiler so if that's the original duck, then it must be #426 and a rare car. The collision bar & sunroof also confirm that 8)

Sounds like James' Father was a real enthusiast back in the '70s, so will be good to hear about his car. Will keep DDK posted!
DustyM
I need to get out more!

Post by DustyM »

Great stuff Nigel, stories like this are what makes this forum and it's members stand out from most others.
210bhp

Post by 210bhp »

Mitch wrote: only 2 delivered to UK... #426 & #522 and the latter was delivered with no spoiler so if that's the original duck, then it must be #426 and a rare car. The collision bar & sunroof also confirm that 8)

Sounds like James' Father was a real enthusiast back in the '70s, so will be good to hear about his car. Will keep DDK posted!
And not only that, a first 500 car to boot so rarest of the rare. From my notes in 1995 I have 426 as being in the Isle of Man so it looks like that is the car.

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
73 2.4E (home after 25 years) and Sold again :-(
73T targa (signal yellow project)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
https://www.mybespokeroom.com/
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Quite right Mike and I'm told it was used competitively in IoM pre '78 and returned there in the '80s. Perhaps unlikely that all original panels survived, but will try to find out some more.
rallyejames
DDK Newbie

Post by rallyejames »

Hi there...

I just want to say a massive thank you to everyone envolved in arranging this very special day for my father.....he will be so touched by it all.

I remember his RST but only being 6 years of age its a little sketchy.
I remember many trips to Autofarm when we lived near Banbury sat in the little seats in the back and the noise!!!! wow even now makes the hairs on the back of my neck!

My father bought it I nAugust 78 with 43000 miles on it from Josh Sadler and father remembers Mr Sadler turning up to our house to talk to father about the car in a blue RSR.

When my father bought it, it had wing damage I think and was all repaired by Autofarm before purchase .There are a lot of photos of PMC racing on the isle of man before my father owned it on Retro rallye wesite, i will see if I can find them and send a link??

My Father then sold PMC in 1982 and its now owned by a gentleman on the isle of man and when I last spoke to him nearly 2 years ago it was undergoing a full resto.

Does anyone on here Know of the car?? if so I would love to get some more info on PMC which is now registered 73 CMN.

Is it as rare as I think it is??

Thanks all so much but especially to ' MITCH' I look so forward to meeting you. Also thanks to LondonRob.

James