Okrasa Special

Porsche 356 Virtual home

Moderators: 58A - 71E, Helen

911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Okrasa Special

Post by 911hillclimber »

I am sure we have all been through a few days when 'it was NOT meant to be'.
Best do something else and re-visit when things seem more 'natural' and flow together.
Certainly had a few of those days with the Lola and pleanty of projects before!

Look forward to the next set of pics and the front wing/head light.
Will you roll it head lamp less and cut the bowl hole or shape with the bowl cutout already trimmed?

fab. :alien:
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
steve wright
DDK rules my life!

Post by steve wright »

you could tell it was going to be a bad day when the panel folded itself into something resembling origami in the first 5 minutes :(

Still, something new and shiny turned up in the workshop last week... more details in the new thread.

'53 356 Pre-A (a box of bits!)
'54 Okrasa/Porsche/VW special
'58 356A Super (GS-spec)
'65 Razoredge Ghia
'66 Westfalia Camper
'70 911S (2.3 ST Le-Mans spec engine)

http://www.pushrod.org

http://www.classicporschemag.co.uk
one-two
DDK rules my life!

Post by one-two »

Fantastic Steve, tell us more
Robert Barrie Limited
+44 7775 518337
info@robertbarrielimited.com
www.robertbarrielimited.com
scotal
DDK Fanatic

Post by scotal »

steve wright wrote:more details in the new thread.
Cracking!
I saw this in your column. However have I been exceptionally dumb and missed the new thread?
earlybay
DDK Fanatic

Post by earlybay »

Great to see its arrived safely !!
TVR 350i FHC
944 S2 (Sold)
993 C2 (Sold)
Founder of earlybay.com
steve wright
DDK rules my life!

Post by steve wright »

thanks Mike, more details in a new thread under 356. give me a call if you want to pop round sometime. Cheers, Steve
'53 356 Pre-A (a box of bits!)
'54 Okrasa/Porsche/VW special
'58 356A Super (GS-spec)
'65 Razoredge Ghia
'66 Westfalia Camper
'70 911S (2.3 ST Le-Mans spec engine)

http://www.pushrod.org

http://www.classicporschemag.co.uk
Barry

Post by Barry »

It's certainy very pretty: in fact I was rather taken with it.

Just finishing off a couple of tools that should help with the next panel: this is the first really tight panel that needs more than just the wheel to form. More details to follow, but as for the headlight area Graham, I think that the best thing is to ignore the headlight for now.

I reckon I'll form all of the wing without the headlight hole, as I can see that 'adding' a hole early on will make it much harder to get the panel to flow.

BTW, the reason the panel was a bit origami was because I was attempting tuck shrinking but without a shrinking head, which is one of the things I'm doing today: I'll take some pics later ....
DDK Member1243 07741 273865. Now booking Spring '24. Home of the RY Austin 7 Trophy's
Bruce M
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Okrasa Special

Post by Bruce M »

This guy's got one spare. :)

911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

That'll be Barry after he has finished this little task...

I would think pre cutting for the bowl or post cutting for the bowl will have it's challenges unless the panel is quite unstressed? :blackeye:
Looking forward to the next pics.
:drunken:
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Barry

Post by Barry »

Hi Graham, well it's going to be a challenge either way. I was surprised when I was last at Eckold that even they didn't have a very convincing answer on how to do it.

If you were doing a run of these, you would have either the headlight recess built into the buck (so a steel insert, or even a hard wood), so you'd wheel the panel, rough cut the headlight hole (to allow the metal there to be released), and then chase the recess into the buck. The alternative is to have a separate buck just for the headlight area, and then weld that into the main wing: not a propsal I find particularly appealing.

I think it'll have to be a basic form of the first option.

Anyway ... spent a few evenings, and the first part of friday morning making up a stake holder, and a freehand (i.e. what I fancied) universal head. This has worked very well, and the tucks that were missing last week were now a doddle to form. One thing is that they are very, very aggressive and leave the metal pretty puckered. I'll detail tuck shrinking (or how I've done it) some other time, suffice to say it got the serious shape into the area in question without thining it out (as the wheel does). As I explained to Steve, because we know we'll be doing something headlight-wise here, I wanted as much metal for welding / filing etc as possible. In most other areas, the wheel-only method is perfect.

Basic method is to form tucks where shrinkage is needed according to paper pattern. These shrink inboard say, three inches or so. Then the panel is held over the head, and the shrinkage beaten inboard to the correct place. Wheel up the centre to raise it, then wheel all over to finalise the shape and 'wash-over' the panel. Like I say, I'll do some pics of the whole process some other time. As usual I'm definitely not saying I know how to do this, so much as sharing my learning as I go.

Oh yes, I also made up a little 'tweaker' for making small tucks on the edge of a panel: goes in a bit deeper than my Frost's shrinker, but not as deep or aggresive as tucking on the head.

Stake holder:

Universal head, made from two sheets of 25mm thick steel: that's a lot of grinding to get to this stage!

Tweaker:

Oh yes, and this old thing ....

Next jobs are to do the quarter panel (ahead of rear wing), the area underneath the front wing (near the driving lights), and then the outer sill. These last two will give us a much better idea of how the depth of the body is going to look compared to the roof.

Overall though, the car is looking longer than I expected at this stage, but guess that as we add more depth (sills etc), plus the expanse of bonnet, it'll shorten up again.
DDK Member1243 07741 273865. Now booking Spring '24. Home of the RY Austin 7 Trophy's
Barry

Post by Barry »

Forgot to say, the edges of the panel where the tucking has left the surface somewhat compromised are actually right on the weld-line. Therefore a large % will be cut away and binned anyway (I'm making all panels with plenty of overlap a) to give a safety margin so I don't run out of metal, and b) to help them flow together, so the front wing halves have a good six or seven inches of overlap).

The remaining part of the roughness would have been tapped up (hammer and dolly) and filed post-welding anyway, so I don't think these will be an issue. The final thing is that because these edges have been shrunk so much, they are now thicker than the orginal metal, so have a safety margin for filing up and sanding.

All for now ....
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Most interesting!
The join edge you have is almost where i imagine the headlamp bowl to be.
Great work to my mind. Looking forward to the underside of the wing and to the bonnet line.
I can't remember: there isn't an opening front bonnet?
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Mike

Post by Mike »

looking great Barry, well done on the progress!
cheers, Mike.

previously..
1994 968 Club Sport Riviera Blue
1994 993 C2 Carrera Riviera Blue
1972 911S to Martini RSR Prototype Spec
1973 911E to RS Lightweight Specification
1981 924 Carrera GT ex Mexborough car
3.2 Carrera Sport x2
Bruce M
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Bruce M »

Barry wrote: Oh yes, and this old thing ....

Overall though, the car is looking longer than I expected at this stage, but guess that as we add more depth (sills etc), plus the expanse of bonnet, it'll shorten up again.
Looks just splendid to me :bounce:
Mind you, adding a bit of shape to the sill area might help balance the high curve of the roof but you may not want to go down that road......

BAHumbug
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by BAHumbug »

Hello Steve and Barry
Wonderful progress, awe inspiring.
My late .02 about tyres. Vredestien Sprint Classics are a Dutch tire well thought of by the 356 Registry (see permanent sticky at the 356 website.) I have just put them on my 356 rep and I must say are classic in style and perform very well. I don't know about availability in the UK but Holland is much closer to you than it is to me in Texas.
Happy Christmas, Bruce
Happy Motoring,
Bruce