Oil gauges

Need some help with a technical problem - ask away and let's see if we can all help.

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Nige

Luke
DDK rules my life!

Oil gauges

Post by Luke »

My oil temp gauge is a single guage with a needle and no numbers, with an oil pressure lamp at the bottom. Do you think I'd be able to simply swap in a later combined oil temp and pressure gauge (i.e. 2 needles) or do i need to make a load of changes?
Porscheless but still aircooled
Gary71
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Gary71 »

You'd need to fit a pressure sender to the engine rather than just a low pressure switch, but I believe the wiring is the same. With a sender you get a precise change in resistance and hence it can drive the meter, the light just runs off the low pressure switch which is on/off.

I used to run just a low pressure switch as a quick fix until I got around to buying a replacement sender for my '72. All this does is put the gauge at full scale once the minimum pressure is reached.

Running with a working pressure gauge will increase your paranoia! You'll watch it like a hawk and those occasional 1mm downward fluctuations when running at constant high speed will make you heart stop every time!
MdR

Post by MdR »

Gary71 wrote:Running with a working pressure gauge will increase your paranoia! You'll watch it like a hawk and those occasional 1mm downward fluctuations when running at constant high speed will make you heart stop every time!
Yup! I try to ingore mine & concentrate on where I'm going, at high speed my SWB has a tendancy to be a bit 'floaty'. Knowing my oil is sloshing about & being squeezed is the least of my worries :drunken:
Martin Rogers
+44 (0)7812 167547
'69 Ossi blue warmrod 3.0 911T
[sold & sorely missed]'67S '70 Targa T '75 914/4 x 2
Gary71
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Gary71 »

Luke
DDK rules my life!

Post by Luke »

thanks for the heads up Gary, I've added it to my watch list
Porscheless but still aircooled