brake caliper refurb

Need some help with a technical problem - ask away and let's see if we can all help.

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Nige

pae
DDK Fanatic

brake caliper refurb

Post by pae »

Any recommendations for where to get some calipers refurb'd?

I need to paint some, preferably by someone who knows what they're handling - don't want paint all over the bores and threads. An idea of cost would be good, too.

Or is painting them relatively straightforward anyway, and if so, what paint should I use. (Gloss black, BTW, nothing fancy).

Phil
'79 Honda CB650 project
T W M C
"It takes a lot of practice to sound like yourself" Miles Davis
johnM
I need to get out more!

Post by johnM »

Hi

Depending what type of caliper you have depends on the finish that’s best, cast calipers are best bead blasted and then electroplated, S type aluminium calipers were anodised (I think) but could be powder coated, and later magnesium calipers tend to be powder coated. These rear calipers have been replated and the results were good.

There are a couple of threads here

http://www.early911sregistry.org/forum/ ... hp?t=16254

http://www.early911sregistry.org/forum/ ... ht=caliper

This guy splits the caliper, I wouldn't recommend doing this as you can plate the cast ones with out splitting them, it looks as if he uses round section o rings when rebuilding them and they should be square section o rings, also you can have problems resealing them as the calipers have been through many heat cycles and once split may not be true.

Kind regards
John
1970 2.2E Coupe.
2004 996 GT3 mkII
2015 Skoda Octavia VRS TSI DSG.
2021 Toyota GR Yaris Circuit Pack
pae
DDK Fanatic

Post by pae »

Thanks John, it's actually for the Honda (m'bike) I'm rebuilding. They're aluminium.

regards, Phil
'79 Honda CB650 project
T W M C
Nick Moss
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Nick Moss »

Hi Phil

There are some special issues with aluminium calipers, but, most importantly, can you get the pistons and seals?
Nick Moss - early911.co.uk - Fuchs refurbishment
07980 017994
nick@early911.co.uk
912uk

Post by 912uk »

that link to the caliper rebuild was very good. When i did mine it was ment to be a common problem was splitting the caliper halfs was ment not to be done due to resealing them afterwards? is this the case? and if not what do you seal the halfs with?

I don't mind doing them the hard way, with them still intact. But it would easy to split if I can reseal them.

Also At the time I did mine I couldn't find brake grease i just used brake fluid. any one know where you can get this brake grease? I am sure it's out there. I only went to motorfactors..
pae
DDK Fanatic

Post by pae »

nick-moss wrote:Hi Phil

There are some special issues with aluminium calipers, but, most importantly, can you get the pistons and seals?
Hi Nick, yes, parts are no problem from David Silver. What are the issues with aluminium?

Phil
'79 Honda CB650 project
T W M C
Nick Moss

Post by Nick Moss »

It would be interesting to see a picture of what you are trying to achieve, then I can advise on how to obtain the original finish
07980 017994
nick@early911.co.uk
pae
DDK Fanatic

Post by pae »

It's not so much trying to achieve an original finish, but having got the bike to this stage (quite a bit further than this actually)...

I'd like the calipers to be a bit more presentable than they were when I started - see following link...

http://uk.geocities.com/cb650@btinternet.com/pic003
'79 Honda CB650 project
T W M C
Alan @ CanfordClassics

Post by Alan @ CanfordClassics »

Hello Phil,

I am not sure about your motor bike calipers, but the early 911 S calipers are also aluminum. When people have these rebuilt they are generally powder coated, but they were originally anodised. This is due to the extra work and cost in re-doing them correctly. There is a good thread on early S registry in case anyone is interested.

It is not the best pic, but here is a set we stripped, vapoured, slightly polished, anodised and rebuilt. The next sets will be fully polished to obtain a clearer anodised finish.

Thanks

Alan
http://www.canfordclassics.co.uk
Porsche Restoration & Sales
johnM
I need to get out more!

Post by johnM »

912uk wrote:I don't mind doing them the hard way, with them still intact. But it would easy to split if I can reseal them
Mark

I am just passing on the advice given to me, unfortunatly I was given the advice after I had allready split mine, I struggled to find the correct bolts as the old ones could not be reused, the o rings are unavailable so I had some made from a specilist company from the correct material, fortunatly for me the brakes resealed okay but I have been told that this is not always the case, so its alot simpler if you can keep them as one unit, also I think you may be able buy new caliper's (cast type)for just over £100 each which seems quite reasonable if you take into account costs of bead blasting, plating, service kits, new bolts, new o rings and you may even need new pistons.

Kind Regards
John
1970 2.2E Coupe.
2004 996 GT3 mkII
johnM
I need to get out more!

Post by johnM »

pae wrote:It's not so much trying to achieve an original finish, but having got the bike to this stage (quite a bit further than this actually)...

I'd like the calipers to be a bit more presentable than they were when I started - see following link...

http://uk.geocities.com/cb650@btinternet.com/pic003
Wow that look great!

Kind Regards
John
1970 2.2E Coupe.
2004 996 GT3 mkII
pae
DDK Fanatic

Post by pae »

johnM wrote: Wow that look great!
Thanks John, it's progressed quite a bit further since that pic. Exhausts and carbs are on, it runs OK (first time for almost 5 years) but needs fine tuning. I'm doing all the finish-off bits now - indicators, lights, brake lines and linkages etc.

regards, Phil
'79 Honda CB650 project
T W M C
912uk

Post by 912uk »

I am only going to paint them afterwards mine still look good 7 years on. But ref the seals hmm I am happy to take abit more time to strip and clean them up.. I was lucky last time as the pistons where in good nick..

I just polished them. Still on 98% when the MOT was done 2 weeks ago so i must have done some thing right.

Better get my overhalls on then.. :wink:
Nick Moss

Post by Nick Moss »

That's quite a change from the way it was!

Powder coating is probably the easiest way to go. Drop me an email and I will give you the details of the guy I use. He is in Suusex.
07980 017994
nick@early911.co.uk