Help\Advice with Rally Entry

For classic Porsche 911 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

Dr_Danger
DDK Fanatic

Help\Advice with Rally Entry

Post by Dr_Danger »

I've entered my SC for Croft Historic Rally on 4th February. The minimum equipment I need is good Odometer and a stop watch plus an accurate speed readings. Now I have a Halda Speed Pilot and Twinmaster that I used in my other cars but they require mounting on or in the dashboard and I don't fancy drilling my dash at all. In addition to that they will require extensions, tbars, gearboxes etc. I'm really looking for a simple solution as my car is just a road car with an occasional club rally. Can anyone advise anything? Perhaps some pictures of the mounted equipment, ideas, suggestions?
Bertroex
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by Bertroex »

gaffertape two of those cheap electronic stopwatches to your glove compartment lid? Its a bit crude but ....

bert
-1968 912 SWB Targa LHD
-1976 911 Carrera 3.o Targa RHD
-1983 944 190bhp (augment automotive enhanced) RHD
-1979 280SLC manual LHD, 1989 500SL, 1997 SL500, 1989 Jag XJ-s 3.6, old BMW’s
-Ex 1976 911 2.7 Targa, 1979 911 SC, 1983 930,1993 964 C4 Jubi etc
Cortina
DDK rules my life!

Post by Cortina »

Buy a simple electronic trip like terratrip. ... Cable tie it on somewhere (glove box lid) Sensor will pick up from front hub. Wiring can either be routed through an existing hole or failing that will probably survive a door shut on it. Power feed pick up from other internal source.
Don't know why you would need an accurate (very) speedo ? .. For regularity sections you need accurate distance and accurate watch - the rest is mathematics ... forget about trying to avererage X miles an hour by driving at X miles an hour
Royal Enfield .. still in India
GL 1800 Tour DCT, for pleasure / Fantic 240 Professional - play
Rally 911 (1966) build parked for a while
Rally 928 (work started again - inc serious weight loss programe !)
.... and now another VW Up GTI owner.
fetuhoe
DDK rules my life!

Post by fetuhoe »

As Cortina says all Regularities really needs accurate diatance and accurate time. A set of Average Speed Tables are also handy. These tables are calculated for different average speeds and show time at distance in 1/1000th increments. You can either produce them from a Excel Spreadsheet or buy them from Don Barrow or John Brown. As timing at the end of regularities is 'on sight' you really need to be accurate and good crews are often penalty free. They will typically cover all average speed selected by the organisers.

Without a well calibrated trip you are bound to have penalties and the Terratrip 303+ is a good device with an intergrated clock but some Historic events do not allow Digital Displays and it is worth checking with the organisers.

The Brantz Retro trip is a good alternative.

http://www.brantz.co.uk/html/english/index.html

You can buy a speedo cable sensor but if you have a magnetic speedo output you will have to fit a wheel sensor. I have tried to use a 'splitter' to take the speedo pulse outputs directly into a Terrartip but it didn't work and there isn't any commecially available solution that I have found.

Have fun.
Dr_Danger
DDK Fanatic

Post by Dr_Danger »

Thanks guys, I wasn't sure if Brantz were allowed but now I know they are I think it's the best option and should be fairly straightforward to install.

Regarding the accurate speedo, aparently there is a new test where you have drive a mile at the precise speed down to 1mph, not sure about it 100% but thats what I was told by the organisers.
fetuhoe
DDK rules my life!

Post by fetuhoe »

You can do that with the Average Speed Tables, accurate distance and a clock and it does need practice to be spot on.