Outdoor covers

For all you Porsche 914 fanatics!

Moderators: drummerboytom, MdR

swapped
DDK slapper chatter

Outdoor covers

Post by swapped »

Hi,

I'd like an outdoor, all-weather cover to reassure myself about dry carpets / floorpan rust - preferably just to cover the cabin area.

Anyone out there using one?

Where from and what price?

Ta.
Gilbert '71 T
I luv DDK!

Post by Gilbert '71 T »

This guy does an umberella type cover just for the cabin area, looks pretty neat, quite pricey for what it is though when you could get a full cover (covercraft etc) for much less i guess

http://www.914club.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=3644
Darren
71 911T with C3 motor
abm914
Events Organiser

Post by abm914 »

If you find a good one then let me know as I'm interested in getting one. Have seen a few at various classic car shows but never know if there are any good.

Bootsy has one for his 911 - what one is it and where did you get it Bootsy????

Ad.
Nige
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Nige »

Mines from Classic Editions, its abit baggy but is hard on the outside and soft in the middle, I've used it extensively all year round and I'm pretty impressed. Think I paid about £120 a few years ago.
MdR

Post by MdR »

I sell Classic Additions covers for the Karmann Ghia Owners Club GB as I'm club shop.
They're very good. Maybe we should ask them for the same sort of discounted price that the KGOC gets.
Martin Rogers
+44 (0)7812 167547
'69 Ossi blue warmrod 3.0 911T
[sold & sorely missed]'67S '70 Targa T '75 914/4 x 2
middlefour1
DDK rules my life!

Post by middlefour1 »

Nige wrote:Mines from Classic Editions, its abit baggy but is hard on the outside and soft in the middle, I've used it extensively all year round and I'm pretty impressed. Think I paid about £120 a few years ago.
I have one for the fourteen and it's a very good fit and excellent quality.
Steve
1970 Silver 914 - Gone but never forgotten........
swapped
DDK slapper chatter

Post by swapped »

middlefour1 wrote:
Nige wrote:Mines from Classic Editions, its abit baggy but is hard on the outside and soft in the middle, I've used it extensively all year round and I'm pretty impressed. Think I paid about £120 a few years ago.
Is it a cap or a full cover?

I've found a 'semi-tailored' cap here:

Thank you for your enquiry. You have requested information on the Artic Outdoor Car Top Cap. Drawn from the same stable as our Alpine Outdoor Car Covers, it employs the same clever design techniques to give a fit not normally associated with such covers, certainly not the 'rectangular sheets'
dubbed car caps in accessory shops. A convenient accessory to keep off the winter.

Your vehicle: Porsche 914, 1972.
"Artic Car Top Cap" £53.00
P & P £8.50

All prices include VAT and are valid for 14 days

www.thecovercompany.co.uk

But they don't show photos - I'd be happy to pay £50ish, if it's a good fit - but is it any different to this one:

http://www.cover-systems.com/carcovers/page2cp.htm

Which seems likely to be around £35-40, with free delivery...

Can someone else take a look at the blurb on the sites and report back if they can see any reason not to choose the cheaper one?

And if there's several of us looking, we can ask for a discount.

Anyone live near the suppliers? (hereford and/or wellingborough)
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

abm914 wrote:Bootsy has one for his 911 - what one is it and where did you get it Bootsy????

Ad.
I can' even remember where I got it from or who it's by but it was about £120 quid or so and does the job - what a great help I am!
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
middlefour1
DDK rules my life!

Post by middlefour1 »

swapped wrote:
middlefour1 wrote:
Is it a cap or a full cover?
It's a full cover with a strap that goes under the car to keep it in place. It is also elasticated at the corners. The Classic Editions ones are best by miles. Mine has been tested in some very bad weather and it works a treat. As Nige said nice and soft on the inside, some of the cheaper ones don't have this and in a strong wind I think they would do your paintwork a power of no good. Just my thoughts and experience.
Steve
1970 Silver 914 - Gone but never forgotten........
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

middlefour1 wrote:It's a full cover with a strap that goes under the car to keep it in place.
Like mine
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
Nige
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Nige »

I used mine all weathers, don't even bother washing or drying the car sometimes, its not always possible. Its had plenty of hammer, I just screw it up and whack it in a curbar storage box with a lid on at the bottom of my drive when its not is use. Abit like a gimp really, likes to be abused. 8)