Swinging Tacho

For classic Porsche 911 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

Garrett
DDK Seasoned Poster

Swinging Tacho

Post by Garrett »

After accelerating the tacho needle oscillates by +/- 1000rpm approx. before settling down to the new speed. Is this a symptom of anything? Everything else is fine. A beautiful Winter's morning for a drive around West Cork today BTW - life is peachy sometimes.
Garrett Dee

1973 911 S Targa
Ian Comerford
I luv DDK!

Post by Ian Comerford »

I had a similar problem occur on my '79 SC. First the tacho needle swung all over the place, later the chraging light came on but not very bright. Eventually turned out to be failing, but not yet failed, alternator. Took ages to confirm because it appeared to be putting out just enough charge.
Hope this helps
Ian
impmad2000
I need to get out more!

Post by impmad2000 »

I have seen the bouncing tacho from both points gaps set incorrectly and also from low charge voltage. If you have a voltmeter, check the voltage across the battery with the engine on a "fast tickover" approx 2500 rpm, should be 14V ish. This should give an indication of a alternator problem.
Check the points gap anyway , just for good measure.
Enjoy
Tim
Tim Bennett
RHD Targa 2.2T EFI, Triumph ITB's, EDIS and Megasquirt.
"Old enough to know what's right and young enough not to choose it"
Ian Donkin
DDK rules my life!

Post by Ian Donkin »

As I have the same rev counter symptoms and a charge light that doesn't always go out straight away when I start her up, maybe it's time to start thinking alternator.

Mind you, I'll catch this with the engine rebuild...
2006 RHD 997 Carrera (but DDK remains in my heart - also now no longer)
1972 LHD 2.4T with '73 2.4T CIS motor - gone to a new DDK home
1994 RHD 993 Carrera - gone!
1968 LHD 911L - was the Wife's but now in new hands :-(

Vic Cohen
I luv DDK!

Post by Vic Cohen »

Not clear what Tacho u have, after along rebuild was one of the last things left to do on 72, 2.4 s ........................sent off for a refurb and has a new damper and all fine now , find a local instruments mender and u ll be fine ..................if its fittted with a damper in the first place
Garrett
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by Garrett »

Thanks for all the replies.

I checked out the points and they're ok, 0.3mm gap and clean. alternator light does sometimes take a blip of the throttle to go out. Fan belt is possibly a bit loose - about 1" play midway between pulleys- is this right?

I'll get a DVM and check the voltage across the battery / alternator function next w/end.
The tacho is VDO/std issue I think
Garrett Dee

1973 911 S Targa
Vic Cohen
I luv DDK!

Post by Vic Cohen »

Just read 73 car??? U ve definitely got a damper and its likely to be ex!
IanMcLeod
DDK rules my life!

Post by IanMcLeod »

Vic Cohen wrote:Not clear what Tacho u have, after along rebuild was one of the last things left to do on 72, 2.4 s ........................sent off for a refurb and has a new damper and all fine now , find a local instruments mender and u ll be fine ..................if its fittted with a damper in the first place
Vic

Do you know where you can get refurbished Tachos from? I have the same problem on my 73 and it looks like its the Tacho unit rather than anything else.

Thanks.
Ian.
Vic Cohen
I luv DDK!

Post by Vic Cohen »

It happened to be at Jaz Wembley Park , when i decided to get it done ..............he sent it off to a place in Harrow , back in 5 days ,sorry dont know who they wrere .............o2o8 903 1118 ask for Steve i am sure he ll tell u
IanMcLeod
DDK rules my life!

Post by IanMcLeod »

Ta.