The DDK Nationals

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

Ignatzcatz
I luv DDK!

The DDK Nationals

Post by Ignatzcatz »

As I sit here on this very damp February afternoon dreaming about Porsche engines in general and mine in particular as it's still in a thousand pieces, a small thought wandered through the grey matter. Why is there not a huge gathering of all the great folks who make up the webby world of DDK. Organisations in the States usually term their meets as 'nationals' or even internationals because of course for Americans their world ends at New York and Los Angeles on t'other side. But joking aside we really ought to hold an annual big meet up. It would have to be mid UK for all the members, so that means North of Watford, just to make travelling time acceptable to everyone. What we should also do is wear name badges with our web names so everybody can put a face to a blog name. Obvious initial difficulties would be primarily - venue, big muddy field, not so good, then exclusivity, how the heck do we overcome that one. No kettles, no boxtrs, don't think so, some of you have to drive those things. There will be loads of hurdles to get over but I think it would be fantastic if it could happen.
Porsche 356B T6 (modified), Porsche Macan Turbo , Porsche SSE, Dax 289 Cobra, Buell S2 Thunderbolt, Honda ST 70/125, Harley Davidson custom evo softail
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Re: The DDK Nationals

Post by Bootsy »

It is a good idea, probably worth fleshing out some ideas
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
Ollie
DDK forever

Post by Ollie »

Great idea!

Will need to take the geographic spread of the club into account... piggy back on someone elses event for year one or go it alone?

Would suggest tarmac based venue. I like the idea of the roof of a multi-story car park, then there is an indoor option if the weather is inclement.
Ian Comerford
I luv DDK!

Post by Ian Comerford »

Bicester Heritage might be up for it, plenty of space and stuff of interest there. I know the event manager there if I can help?
hot66

Post by hot66 »

Historically we always had our annual DDK weekend events that were brilliant.... multiple events in North Yorkshire, wales and scotland . These have always been about driving followed by an evening of drink and food . People seemed more willing to get out there back then . The Coast 2 coast we did we had a massive amount of ddk cars.

Thing is , these events only ever came about because individuals stepped up and organised them.

As years have progressed these UK events have fallen away slightly ( because no one stepped up to organise anything for the uk ) and were replaced with the euro events like spa & clm . CLM at one point pre covid we had about 80 people attending . For some reason those kind of numbers dropped off and at last couple of CLM we struggled to get more than 30 people ( which isn't a bad thing as now everyone gets to know each other )

A DDK national meet up would be great . There would have to be a draw rather than a meet in a car park or field. From experience don't have high expectations of 100 ddk cars turning up either . I always take the view that if only 1 other person turns up then its a success .

I tried last year with the DDK / Z club meet at The Motorist just off the A1 near leeds. We had a good turn out of mainly northerners for that but also its a cars and coffee meet for anyone so there was things to see beyond our own cars.... but , its a long way to come from London just to stand about and chat

I wont deny I have been contemplating organising another Yorkshire DDK weekend but it is finding the time and motivation.

If anyone does want to organise something then I'm more than happy to help
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
jwhillracer
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by jwhillracer »

If you want an event to hang a Yorkshire DDK day (or weekend) around, how about the British Championship Hillclimb at Harewood on 6/7th July?
It also has a round of the PCGB Speed Championship, so there will be plenty of Porsche interest, including ourselves in the BHC Cup hopefully.
There's plenty of parking, and I'm sure the organisers would be able to give DDK a display space.

JW
Life's a single timed run with no practice....
1970 914/6 2.4E/Webers
1970 VW Beetle project
1972 911 Hillclimber 3.2 MFI. Part of the family for 30+ years!
2006 Hymer Merc Starline 630
2000 T4 Van LPG
2000 Golf V5 Estate GT (Greyhound Transport!)
anglophone1

Post by anglophone1 »

Great ideas guys- keep them coming!
My thoughts -be central- tarmac based [look at Race Retro - washout] - piggyback on something if possible' have a drive in/drive out trip.
Gaydon might work?
I'dl happily organise something in Ireland for us.
Clive
West Cork, Ireland

RGruppe #814
1978 SC/1984 3.2 Outlaw -Jaffa 911
1973 914 - on Webers - historic rally car- Tango 914
1977 924 2.0 on Webers street legal race car - Martini 924
Flachbau -in progress
markm
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by markm »

Now that would be a good trip, long weekend tearing up the west coast of Ireland
72 2.4s
96 993 RS
Series 1 DDK membership card
anglophone1

Post by anglophone1 »

I live on the Wild Atlantic way- organised a 60 car week long trip along whole WAW for Porsche Club Ireland two years ago.....................
Clive
West Cork, Ireland

RGruppe #814
1978 SC/1984 3.2 Outlaw -Jaffa 911
1973 914 - on Webers - historic rally car- Tango 914
1977 924 2.0 on Webers street legal race car - Martini 924
Flachbau -in progress
markm

Post by markm »

Talk done then, when we coming
72 2.4s
96 993 RS
Series 1 DDK membership card
911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 911hillclimber »

This sounds a good idea indeed.

Does DDK have a 'map' of who is where so it is possible to select focus areas to catch as many as possible with an overnight stay (say)?

I think the British Car museum at Gaydon hosts a lot of one make clubs, kept quite separate from the general public parking.
All hard standing and lots of space. The place is worth a visit.

The Midlands is well catered for but is it a good location to tempt many?
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

The next Bicester Scramble ( if you haven’t been they’re huge - so plenty to see, do and eat) is on Sunday April 21st. Tickets still available. The car park is huge and we could easily all park and meet if we do a simple bit of pre-plotting. Graham and I met up there last year. I regularly make the 2 and a half hour drive from Somerset, so if I can you can! And it’s pretty bloody central and a zillion times more interesting than Gaydon.
70sThrowback
DDK slapper chatter

Post by 70sThrowback »

The only issue with the Scramble is that its a ticket event that sells out quickly, so you may not get everyone there, and unless we could get a dedicated parking area, people are going to be all over the place meaning actually meeting up is more difficult. What about an air museum? As an example the Avro museum near Manchester airport allows car clubs to get their cars photogrpahed with the Vulcan they have. There are also others too that may be more central.
Jonny

Current custodian of 1976 Porsche 912E, 1973 VW Camper
Boydyrs
DDK forever

Post by Boydyrs »

I’m up for Ireland
impmad2000
I need to get out more!

Post by impmad2000 »

In 2018 I organised an Imp Club National event in Leicestershire. Mostly a camping event, Prestwold Hall, Leicestershire.
Marquee, catering, toilets/showers, evening entertainment. 250+ attendees. 1st weekend in August. It relocates every year around the country.
I can’t imaging DDK managing the same scale event, but perhaps at a rugby club (mostly unused in the summer), some camping. Hotel nearby ?
Tim Bennett
RHD Targa 2.2T EFI, Triumph ITB's, EDIS and Megasquirt.
"Old enough to know what's right and young enough not to choose it"