More from Big Brother, aka DVSA

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

KS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

More from Big Brother, aka DVSA

Post by KS »

Just to let the 'It'll never happen' brigade know that it probably will...

The DVSA (Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency - the body responsible for legislation covering such areas as modifications and aftermarket components - now has a Market Surveillance Team, which is visiting shows, shops and scanning on-line retailers, checking on the legality of various products. An easy target right now is exhaust systems, high-performance catalytic convertors and ECU remaps which result in increased noise and changes in emission levels. The scheme covers lots of different markets, including unsurprisingly e-scooters and uprated e-bikes, but also helmets and visors, even new vehicles being sold without a certificate of conformity. Regarding remaps, there is even direct reference to the current trend for 'pops and bangs' remaps...

They have targeted motorcycle exhaust systems as a starting point, visiting shows to examine products on display, as well as carrying out 'mystery shopper' purchasers and examining on-line sales for proof of goods carrying the correct (and legally necessary) standard markings, or sold clearly 'not for road use'. Tests have also been carried out on some models of car popular with younger drivers both before and after common modifications have been carried out, using both static and drive-by tests to check on noise levels.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -programme

On their Facebook page, DVSA refers to a recent case against a remapping business. The post also makes reference to the Market Surveillance Team.

"Getting your car’s engine control unit modified to make it sound louder or add various noises means it’s no longer legal for use on the road.
Before paying to get your exhaust system modified, ask whether it’s road legal first.
It can also increase the emissions, damage your vehicle, result in an MOT failure and require repairs - to either fix the damage or replace illegal components.
Our Market Surveillance Unit recently investigated AET Motorsport Ltd for openly advertising and supplying these services. DVSA prosecuted and they were convicted. The company was ordered to pay a total of £7,234 in fines and costs."

The immediate effect is likely to be in regard to sales of aftermarket exhaust systems, making sure they are all marked to show compliance with current legislation (and to be able to provide proof they have been tested), but companies offering remaps of newer vehicles are likely to come under scrutiny, too. By taking this route, the aim is to cut things off at source by preventing the supply and sale of 'illegal' components. The next step would then be to add checks to the current MOT inspection, be it to look for evidence of the correct logos, or dare I suggest, doing a scan of the ECU for evidence of a remap. It's a small step when you think about it.

So there you go.
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
911hillclimber

Re: More from Big Brother, aka DVSA

Post by 911hillclimber »

Just my take on this particular topic; noise.
On all my MoT's there has never been a noise test, no meters, no process, just the evaluation of the test technician.

If he is sympathetic to a 'nice sounding vehicle' then it can get a pass, or the opposite.
No science there.
A model process is available as we competitors know too well in motorsport; a hand held test that could be adopted in an MoT, it takes about 30 seconds to complete, small cost, a bit of science and consistency.
Gets my vote.
I think my hilclimb Lola is quieter than a factory GT3.

I feel the trend for pops-n-bangs and all that brings such folly to the discomfort of the general public should be bought under control, it is a big nuisance and we suffer here as home from the Wednesday Evening rush to a few pubs every week and weekend, bike especially. Irritates me and look at my interests!

This disturbance brings about this kind of Official Reaction (backed by public complaint) , and we all know it wont stop now the ball is rolling.

Noise is about the biggest topic on may peoples hates, model aeroplanes went south years ago and councils closed flying spaces ( ie on the common). People want to stroll around a park in silence.

As soon as Joe Public are rattled there will be action, noise and speed will not be tolerated.
Often a noisy vehicle is always driven/ridden too fast and dangerously in the eyes of the public, often the case too!
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
jwhillracer
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by jwhillracer »

I have applied for a V5C for my latest Classic, a 1949 Ferguson TED 20. I have just received a letter from a lady in the “DVLA Central Capture Unit”

Images of black balaclavas, body armour and early morning raids flash through my mind ……………

JW
Life's a single timed run with no practice....
1970 914/6 2.4E/Webers
1970 VW Beetle project
1972 911 Hillclimber 3.2 MFI. Part of the family for 30+ years!
2006 Hymer Merc Starline 630
2000 T4 Van LPG
2000 Golf V5 Estate GT (Greyhound Transport!)
Sam

Post by Sam »

Middle-aged me is also calm with clamping down on all the pops and bangs nonsense.

Then I remember teenage me used to bolt a stinger to my 1300 beetle and go driving round town trying to set off car alarms for lols.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
210bhp

Post by 210bhp »

Originality rules :thumbright:

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
73 2.4E (home after 25 years) and Sold again :-(
73T targa (signal yellow project)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
https://www.mybespokeroom.com/
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

You are correct.
This smells of those with modern tuneable cars getting well corralled back from the days of freedom and one of back to factory.
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
sladey

Post by sladey »

210bhp wrote:Originality rules :thumbright:

Regards
Mike
Balls to that
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

I was lucky enough to have my youth in the 70's and just about anything could be done in the UK
DVLA were good at changing engine numbers, other mods (if there was a box on the log book for a change to be noted) were easy, the police were both difficult and amused and a real Live and Let Live attitude prevailed, hence my 1937 Ford Y type had a Capri V6, auto box, home made chassis, chopped roof, Viva front suspension and an S type Jaguar rear suspension and more. Q plate today, DTV 230 then, the original reg and log books.
I self painted my cars in cellulose in my one car garage which should have killed me by today's reckoning, but i'm still here at 71, well, maybe 90% of me is.

MoT's were a laugh and we all had a great modified cars time.

Since then modified cars have been a part of my leisure car world, but this is rapidly changing, tolerance is thin on the ground, and here we have the start of the pendulum swinging to acute intolerance to mods to cars/ vehicles.

If it is noisy, smelly and used with little respect except for the apparent hoards of people with phone cameras running insessently in frenzied crowds, the public will become intolerent.

Nothing you can do about it either, The Man is here as a result.

Enjoy what you have!
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Winston Teague
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Winston Teague »

This could all become a self fulfilling prophecy, journalists pen articles about 'the man', whilst ramming magazines full of articles about (ref this forum) modded Porsches. Realistically there must be at least 1 petrolhead working at DVLA, who is expected to ignore the tide of altered vehicles..... We who have such cars, should keep our heads down, stop shouting about it & them on social media and hope our name/number doesn't come up. AI will find us all eventually, but thankfully there are so many of us they have an unclimbable mountain ahead....I'm not a reader of classic car mags (except of course this month's Octane), and very much like that motoring jurnos I know, but if this stuff really is a 'thing' please stop stirring. W.
Bugger, i've just hypocrited myself! W
Winston
'61 356 BT5 & a lot of broken chain driven stuff
Nine One One
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Nine One One »

It would make more sense if they have spare staff, to get them to chase up all the bloody potholes around the Country that need repairing, and part of what the VED is meant to be used for.
In all honesty the only reason this ‘Squad’ seems to exist, is to find cars, and try and extract as much revenue as they can by issuing ‘Q’ plates, losing their historic status, or because you have had an upgraded ECU, your emissions are higher and fit into another tax bracket. Funny how they never actually found out a huge company flouted emissions rules and managed to pull the wool over everyone for years.
How is it manufacturers can totally change a car for Motorsport, roll cage, different suspension, different emissions etc.etc. yet DVLA still give it a normal registration, and allow it to run on a road. (Yes it is promotional for the manufacturer, enhances road safety via technology..........)

How can a manufacturer produce exactly the same car, with exactly the same engine, yet dependant on wheel size, it fits into a different emissions category, or remove a spare wheel to get a better MPG result. It is just a load of bollocks really.

If they want to concentrate on noisy exhausts to give themselves some sort of publicity, they ought to get out more and start filling potholes in, instead of sat in an office reading magazines, or forum posts!
KS

Post by KS »

OK, so I’ll promise not to pass on any information I learn from certain sources that may affect our chosen hobby.

And yes, there are people from DVSA who read magazines, go to shows and follow forums. Their easiest targets are those who build hot rods or vintage specials and claim historic status. Modified Porsches and the like are relatively ‘safe’ (unless you go the EV route…).

Should I delete this thread?
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

IMHO, No.
It is important to be aware of what is changing around us and outside of our current bubble.
Pressure on our 'bubble' is increasing due to DVLA and the attitude of others. 'Our' being the classic car movement in general.

Not sure if DVLA has anything to do with deploying road repairs, or just gathering monies from us for Highways UK to spend. I stand to be corrected of course.

There are a lot of modified cars all over the place, Google, WH Smiths magazine rack, a lot of modified bikes too and other forms of old/new transport.

I can't help think the return of MoT's for ALL road going cars etc would benefit the road safety drive more than chasing few cars with drain pipe exhausts, but just my opinion.

I have read recently when you get over 80 the car insurance to pay will be 3 or 4 times more than when you are day younger than 80.
What a difference a day makes!

Screw the motorists some more.
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
one-two
DDK rules my life!

Post by one-two »

Love these threads Keith. Can't believe we don't have the right to build some nonsense in our back garden from leftover bits of balsa and two lengths of sellotape without anyone telling us it's a bit silly. Also the right to drive our Porsche down the public road and deafen anyone in earshot. Hell yes!
Robert Barrie Limited
+44 7775 518337
info@robertbarrielimited.com
www.robertbarrielimited.com
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Bits of balsa, bit like my winter mini project then!

Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
IanM
DDK rules my life!

Post by IanM »

911hillclimber wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:57 pm I have read recently when you get over 80 the car insurance to pay will be 3 or 4 times more than when you are day younger than 80.
What a difference a day makes!
I don't think my Dad will be very happy if that is true, as he will turn 80 next year.