Won't start.

Replica owners or enthusiasts are very welcome

Moderator: Bootsy

opv
DDK Fanatic

Won't start.

Post by opv »

Hi All
I have a356 coupe replica with vw 1641cc engine. The car had always ran fine starting first time every time. Yesterday I started the car left it ticking over when I popped in the house and I heard cut out which it never does. It didn't cougand splutter it just died. It started again after afew turns and all seemed OK. I drove the car about 2 mile and it just stopped at some traffic lights and it hasn't ran since. I've replaced the coil and there's a spark at the points but not at the plugs. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks in advance Charlie
Nine One One
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Re: Won't start.

Post by Nine One One »

Condenser?
Coil on its way out and overheating?
Has the points gap actually closed down because there is no grease on the spindle?
Mechanical fuel pump - spring worn or diaphragms ruptured? - Run another piece of pipe from the fuel pump outlet and place in a container - see if any fuel actually comes out.
Some mechanical pumps have a small filter is this clean?
Insufficient fuel - are float levels ok, could be a blockage in the fuel line, do you have an in line filter - clean the carbs and jets through.

E5 - E10 fuel can cause havoc with fuel lines and break them up inside, which then works its way to the carbs, bits of black rubber bits everywhere.

Likewise check the valve clearances.

It will either be fuel or ignition, just a matter of elimination.
Last edited by Nine One One on Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nine One One
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Nine One One »

Spook
DDK Newbie

Post by Spook »

Hi Charlie
I'm running a 1641cc in a Speedster and although I've not experienced that issue, believe me, I've experienced quite a few others 🤣 but check your points gap is set correctly, and also check your plug leads and coil lead are secure. Double check your wire connections
to the coil are the right way round, since you changed it. If still nothing, try changing the rotor arm, as these have been know to fail. A sudden cut out like you say, suggests an electrical issue other than a fuel issue, cheers Colin
914 berber yellow
356 Speedster replica black
Lotus Elan S4 S/E DHC carnival red
opv
DDK Fanatic

Post by opv »

Hi
Thanks for the replies. I will go through what you have suggested some tests I've already done. The fuel pump is fine I removed a fuel pipe in the engine bay and fuel was flowing OK. What I find difficult to understand is the way the car just stopped no coughing or spluttering just stopped then restarted again and was running fine then a mile down the road it just stopped again. I'll try changing points condenser cap rotor arm etc.
Thanks again for your help
Charlie
hot66

Post by hot66 »

You’ve checked the basics ? Are the battery connections tight ? Main earth not loose ?
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
opv
DDK Fanatic

Post by opv »

Don't think so the car spins over really well but I'll definitely check. Again can't understand how it started first click then cut and restarted then cut out again after running fine. These things were sent to try us.😜😜
Bruce M
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Bruce M »

Check a plug lead & spare spark plug for spark.
70sThrowback
DDK slapper chatter

Post by 70sThrowback »

I had this on my campervan and it was a bad earth. Think it earths to the gearbox? Can't remember exactly, but check your earths, mine just needed cleaning at the contacts and worked perfectly.
Jonny

Current custodian of 1976 Porsche 912E, 1973 VW Camper
opv
DDK Fanatic

Post by opv »

Hi All
Thanks for all your help car seems fine now tested as much as I could then started changing parts turned out to be the rotor arm 😄😄.
Charlie