New Member - Cheshire

Well don't be shy let us know about yourselves

Moderator: Miggs

kasbridge
DDK Seasoned Poster

New Member - Cheshire

Post by kasbridge »

Hi folks,
I’ve been lurking for a while but now is the time to say hello!

Long term Porsche enthusiast, never owned anything older than a 964, currently wrestling with which way to jump from here.

Ownership history includes 5x964, 996, 987, 718, current car for trackdays is a GT4 and looking for an additional older car for road use to get the air cooled fix I miss from my 964s.

So far I’ve driven a few 3.2 Carreras (not for me, felt blunt and quite heavy), 1970 2.2S (lovely but my air cooled budget is five figures) and I’m driving an SC hotrod next week.

Sorry to ramble on - I look forward to participating and will doubtless be asking lots of Qs as although I know 964s, I am no expert on the earlier cars.

Hello again and thanks in advance!
Kevin
hot66

Re: New Member - Cheshire

Post by hot66 »

Welcome to DDK.

Ask away if you have an questions.

Quite a few of us own 964’s too 8)
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Welcome!
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
kasbridge
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by kasbridge »

Thanks for the welcomes, look forward to learning about the older cars!
Sam
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Sam »

You’ll prefer the SC to the 3.2, they’re zingier and lighter on their toes, especially the 204bhp later ones.

An E won’t feel a million miles off the 2.2S you drove, the extra power is all right at the top of the revs and you’ll definitely get one of those for usefully under £100k, especially if you don’t mind it not being matching numbers and all original. Worth seeking one out for a go at least.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
kasbridge
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by kasbridge »

Thanks Sam, some good advice there!
yoda
I need to get out more!

Post by yoda »

Hi Kevin

Glad to see you over here. An early 911 for road use is very hard to beat and there are a few options in your budget. I would stick with an early car rather than an SC if you can, very different to drive. Just need to keep your eyes peeled for something suitable. Good luck.
The force is strong in this one ......
964RS

Post by 964RS »

Hi Kev hope you’re well.
----------------------------------------------------
Jason
https://www.SweepingHand.co.uk
Rolex & Omega Watch Purchases & Sales

kasbridge
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by kasbridge »

Hi Jason,
All good with me, hope you are fine too!

After selling the Cup car and Cayman R I worked out pretty quickly that I was missing the air cooled fix - having had the ‘64 RS, NGT and Cup I thought I’d better try something older taking the well trod path by other mutual friends :-)

Thx for the hello, really nice to hear from you!
Cheers,
Kevin
kasbridge
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by kasbridge »

yoda wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 8:49 pm Hi Kevin

Glad to see you over here. An early 911 for road use is very hard to beat and there are a few options in your budget. I would stick with an early car rather than an SC if you can, very different to drive. Just need to keep your eyes peeled for something suitable. Good luck.
Thanks for the greet :-) I’ll be keeping my eyes peeled!!
964RS

Post by 964RS »

kasbridge wrote:Hi Jason,
All good with me, hope you are fine too!

After selling the Cup car and Cayman R I worked out pretty quickly that I was missing the air cooled fix - having had the ‘64 RS, NGT and Cup I thought I’d better try something older taking the well trod path by other mutual friends :-)

Thx for the hello, really nice to hear from you!
Cheers,
Kevin
The early cars are great fun. Maybe even more fun on the road. Quite different to a 64RS/NGT/Cup though and a lot different on track.

What are you hoping to do with it?

J
----------------------------------------------------
Jason
https://www.SweepingHand.co.uk
Rolex & Omega Watch Purchases & Sales

kasbridge
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by kasbridge »

The GT4 is fine for track although not as involving as the RS et al - I fancy more fun on the road at legal speeds which is why an early car appeals - I had an Exige which was great for involvement but I’m a Porsche guy at heart and love the air cooled engines - so, road use primarily, prefer a std car if I can find one.
hot66

Post by hot66 »

The early cars are great fun on the road. You’ve always got to ‘drive’ them to get the best . I’m still yet to find a car that gives me as much satisfaction or fun on the road. …. A fair few cars have come and gone but I’ve still got and still love my early car after 20years
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
TimB
DDK slapper chatter

Post by TimB »

Kevin

I have been on a similar journey. I have a 964 which I think is great and would never part with but I miss the raw appeal of an early car; I have had a couple of swb cars and they were great but I have got to a point where cars that start with a '1' (or a '2'!) are just too expensive, I would rather spread the money around a bit to get different driving experiences. I now also have a manual 928 which is different but good fun (now it is reliable!) and I am looking at a standard SC (1980 so 188bhp.....I have also had a 1983 204bhp in the past and to be honest if you are considering an SC I would just go with whichever is the best car rather than getting hung up on the different bhp's because on the road they feel very similar). To me the SC still gives plenty of that air cooled rawness (much more so than a 3.2 Carrera), perhaps not quite as pure as an early car but at 25/30% of the cost I can live with that.

Cheers
Tim
kasbridge
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by kasbridge »

Thanks Tim, appreciate the input!

I’m driving an SC “special” tomorrow which I believe is std mechanically so I’ll post back!

It’s a gulf type blue so not really my thing but it’ll be interesting to drive it…..