Audi TT, any comments?

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Audi TT, any comments?

Post by 911hillclimber »

Rapidly falling out of love with my Boxster, and contemplating what next if We decide to have another sports car (hard to justify).
But, a viable alternative we both fancy is the original TT Audi, but one of the performance ones.
We are not sure of the various options, but would like to consider the 5 pot engined version.
Is this the TT rs?

We are pretty much done with any water cooled Porsche now, great when working but so many weaknesses it is silly.
MX5 no good due to small boot space, BMW out for much the same reason.
F type Jaguar a possibility but too expensive to justify. We do around 5k miles a year in the Boxster.

Can't think of any other sports cars, convertible not really needed.

Any advice or experiences on a 5 pot TT?
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Re: Audi TT, any comments?

Post by Bootsy »

We used to run one at work - I could never get on with the visibility. blind spots galore. Worth sitting in one before you even consider it.
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
Hugo 356
I luv DDK!

Post by Hugo 356 »

Given the newest Ur-TT is 2006 would you run into reliability issues?

Lacks the concept car looks but the Toyota GT86 was getting 5 star reviews
maverick
noun
1. an unorthodox or independent-minded person.
2. an unbranded calf or yearling.
Origin mid 19th century: from the name of Samuel A. Maverick (1803–70), a Texas rancher who did not brand his cattle.
misteralz
DDK forever

Post by misteralz »

First gen was either the 4 pot 20 valve turbo in either 180 or 225bhp guise, or the 3.2 litre V6 that pretty much always came with flappy paddles. The five pot wasn't until the second or third gen.
We had the 180 bhp quattro when we still lived in Scotland, and we've had a 225 version over here for three years now. They're still wonderfully modern, tbh, and easy to live with. Loads of parts cross compatiblity with the S3, Leon Cupra, R32, et cetera, so parts are usually reasonably priced.
You can retrofit Bluetooth and all that sort of stuff if that's your thing. The lack of cupholders may be annoying, but I don't drink coffee and I can jam a sports bottle between the seat squab and the door.
The visibility I'm fine with, but I can see how others might struggle.
Try one, basically. I love ours.
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

We’ve got a 3.2 MK2 Quattro. Visibility is poor. Ride is hard. Steering feel is non existent. Fuel consumption is spectacular. Tax is comedy as it’s a manual, DSG version drops into the lower bracket.

Looks cool and makes a nice noise :)

When you say ‘an original TT’ that’s a MK1 which was primarily a 4cyl, but the 12v VR6 came In towards the end.

My other experience with various Mk2 4cyl cars as company cars when they were new is the combination of front drive, 19” wheels and the S-Line suspension is a chassis disaster. Quattro (on the S) makes it tolerable but it’s not a driving machine by any means.

The 5 pot TTRS didn’t arrive until the Mk3 so significantly more modern (and expensive). Engine is really something special.

Buy one if you like the look of it (and can get in and out!) but don’t expect much driving pleasure compared to a Boxster.
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Thank you all.
Thought about the GT85 but that flat 4 non turbo engine is not the best, had the 2 litre version in my old Legacey, what a boring engine.
Do the v6's have any obvious weaknesses?

Tempted just to sell the Boxster or pix and along with the Skoda just sell up and get a nicer petrol Skoda.

As an aside, drove an A4 Audi with Sline suspension years ago and it was truly awful, the bog standard set up was great.
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Nine One One
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Nine One One »

Do you want a convertible, or just want a sports car that is a convertible?

Obviously boot space is an issue, which puts the Mini out of favour.

Mercedes do some nice examples, (E Class) but running costs will probably give you sleepless nights.

Audi A3 or A4 convertibles, if you want the roof down experience, and just leave the 911 for ‘blats' around the lanes by yourself.

Either way, 3 days from now you will keep the Boxster, and we will come back to discussing the quandary again next year, like last?
Ollie
DDK forever

Post by Ollie »

Quattro Sport model?

Audi TT was, from memory, based on the MK4 Gold platform shared with a number of other VW, Skoda and Audi models. Definitley a future classic.
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

911hillclimber wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 4:29 pm
Do the v6's have any obvious weaknesses?
Fuel consumption. That's pretty much it. Will pull from 20mph in 6th if you want and wizz round to 7000rpm if you are in the mood
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Convertible is not important. We bought this Boxster which was sitting next to the dullest grey everywhere 996 we went to see.
MrsH won't have the roof down due to 5 skin cancers she's had.
A Cayman at the time was too expensive in 987.2 gen 2 form.

Just would like a nice interesting sports car, 2 seats, room for 2 week tours abroad and just nice.

When working well the Boxster is really good on all fronts, hard to find fault.
However, the design has so many weaknesses Porsche engineers should be embarrassed.

I have experienced most of these weaknesses and the latest one has all but finished me off.

Maybe I expect too much from an expensive sports car over my ownership of 6 years and about 45k miles, built in 2009 and now just turned 80k.
My Skoda Superb is 2014, 85k from new and just works and was about 40% of the Boxster cost when new.
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

Any older car needs work, that just life. My TT has had new brakes, four wheel bearing hubs, CV boots, dampers all round, complete front suspension refresh (and I mean complete!), engine mount... and because it's a MK2 TT three bonnet release handles :)
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

I've never owned (or wanted) a Japanese car but there's no doubt about their reputation for reliability, so ....

What about something like a Nissan 350Z ?

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
jonno1
I luv DDK!

Post by jonno1 »

Prodrive Brera 2.2? Good looking cars, can suffer various problems...lovely interior!

TT looks cool but drive left me cold. Mate has a mk1 3.2V6 manual cab he is selling if of interest.
1958 356A Coupe
987 Gen 2 Boxster
986 2.5 Boxster
Mick Cliff
I need to get out more!

Post by Mick Cliff »

I had a diesel TT for a short time. Effortless cruising but the biggest drawback for me were the doors - they're flipping huge and I struggled to get in and out in a full/supermarket car park. I just couldn't get the door open enough...

350Z - good choice.

I'd go for a Honda S2000, preferably rebuilt by Gary!
Merc B Class diesel
Porsche-less
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

In the recent past have considered the Nissan in 360 form, I like the shape better.Looks a bit loud to my taste, but has a lot going for it.
Mrs H seems to think the same as Gary, old car and more bills!
Boxster is hard work in tight car parks, poor rear visibility and huge doors too!

Maybe I'm just getting too old...
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9