Dazed and confused

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

Ignatzcatz
I luv DDK!

Dazed and confused

Post by Ignatzcatz »

Whilst not being very efficient when it comes to putting my thoughts into words or even basic understandable phrases, I'm at a real loss after reading page 25 of the September PCGB Porsche post. Just what is going on with this top heavy organisation. If it was a commercial business I'm fairly sure there would be large quantity of heads rolling and belts being severely tightened.
I almost deleted all the previous but then I thought what the hell, I'll post it because I used to be really proud to be a PCGB member and I would be most grieved should it cease to exist.
Porsche 356B T6 (modified), Porsche Macan Turbo , Porsche SSE, Dax 289 Cobra, Buell S2 Thunderbolt, Honda ST 70/125, Harley Davidson custom evo softail
Lightweight_911
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Dazed and confused

Post by Lightweight_911 »

Can't help 'cos I don't know what you're on about - I stopped being a PCGB member ~ 20 yrs ago ...

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
KS

Post by KS »

I, too, was somewhat amazed and bemused by that!
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Just re-read Page 25.
I've been a member since 1989, a membership bought for me by my wife when I bought my Bitza 911 for my birthday.

I've seen a lot of changes in the PCGB, many I do not readily understand, and some really out of the ordinary for a Car Club, which it is not any more.

I'm not sure what it is now, and Page 25 is I think about the PCGB trying to understand what the 20K+ membership is, what it wants and how the PCGB can deliver.

Dazed and confused is not a bad summary.

It will take time for clarity I'm sure, and goodness knows what the outcome will be.

The organisation seems to grow at HQ with seemingly layers or more people all with Director titles if I understand it all, and I do not claim to know it all!

However, the world will continue to revolve whatever the outcome is or the next chapter may be; I am not loosing any sleep over it.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Lightweight_911

'

I thought this thread was going to be about music ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w772GXG5LnE

Andy

hot66

Post by hot66 »

For those of us who,left pcgb years ago, what’s the summary of what you’re talking about ?
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

What’s PCGB? Is that page 25 of the owners manual for the ceramic brakes?
stretch
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by stretch »

Graham, save the £70 quid you are spending on Quartlerly loo roll and stick it in your fuel tank. :)
70T barn find...... to ST.
1998 C2 996 Kettle
Sam

Post by Sam »

I remember Matthew McConaughey drove a hotted-up black Chevelle and Ben Affleck had some cool 70s muscle too but I don’t think there’s any Porsche content.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Interesting a few are old enough to see Led Zeppelin in this thread!

I'm not here to defend PCGB, just to try to add some clarity as a long standing member.

PCGB magazine really says it all. The breadth of vehicle types it tries to cater for and (I imagine) the needs of an early 911 driver is different to a Mecan etc and that modern Porsche ownership for some is as long as the lease they took out on the porsche after their BMW etc, all a bit transient.
I will say i like being part of PCGB, even attending some of their events and a few Region meetings. Discount offers from suppliers help which I use a lot over the years.

I find it all too complex to explain (I too have difficulty expressing thing in written words) but I have posted here 'Page 25' which i feel is a very open and honest view from The Top.

73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
KS

Post by KS »

That's not the one we're talking about, Graham!

Try this:

Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

I’ve got some tickets to see Robert Plant in November - rather like his bluegrass takes on stuff these days
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
PeterK
DDK rules my life!

Post by PeterK »

I'm one of the 24% that (after many years in my case) did not renew last year. I applaud the Board's attempt to understand better (no splitting my infinitives here) the members wants and needs, but IMHO, the 'organisation' is trying to cover too wide a base, and my fairly specific interests (restoring the older stuff) are better served by DDK & IB.
When I used to attend the PCGBLondon regional gatherings, I felt ignored as I wasn't arriving in the latest go-faster mega-bucks machine, almost not welcome, and always outside of the clique. I initially tried but it just wasn't worth the effort to wriggle my way into the inner circle.

I know that (drawing a quick analogy) that when there are a hierarchy of monkeys in a tree, those at the top just see smiling faces looking up at them, while those below just see a bunch of arseholes. Maybe my resto thread made me more visible, however, I have always found any DDK meets (Greatworth, CLM, Fairmile, etc) to be most welcoming (if you just make the effort to introduce yourself rather than sit on the side and await a welcoming party).
Just my 2p's worth - I'll go back to the garage now
'79 Targa - restoration now mainly complete & being driven
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=59756
jb
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by jb »

I joined in 1974 when I had a 356 and got very little back from the club I probably stayed for a few years whilst I had 356s
I rejoined in 1981 when I got my first 911 and have been a member ever since for no good reason
When I discovered Ddk I realised what I had been missing at pcgb
Every year I delay but eventually decide that perhaps for the cost of membership there will be something to interest me
Last year I thought I might try to get to drive their 356 but I never bothered
I think my membership runs out this month perhaps already
I am not sure I care anymore
Indeed I am even thinking of selling the 911

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by jb on Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lightweight_911

jb wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:53 am
I am not sure I care anymore
Indeed I am even thinking of selling the 911
That would be a great shame Jason.

Not heard much from you since your engine needed a rebuild - lost your enthusiasm ?

Andy