More scary cr@p from DVLA

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

IanM
DDK rules my life!

Re: More scary cr@p from DVLA

Post by IanM »

rhd racer wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:22 pm IIRC it was an RS2000, so 78-81 give it take
So, the message is clear:
Don't fit a roll-cage and don't drill big holes through bulkheads, right?
KS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by KS »

Or modify your car in any way that involves drilling, cutting or welding...

Alternatively...keep your head down, fingers crossed and hope that DVLA sees sense.
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
Bruce M
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Bruce M »

Ironically, the guidelines for the MOT exemption seems more sensibly worded & frankly doesn’t align with the info for Q plate. The point about changes to drivetrain to improve efficiency or environmental impact is particularly relevant to EV conversion, I’d suggest?

https://assets.publishing.service.gov. ... idance.pdf
Ollie
DDK forever

Post by Ollie »

I cannot see how this concept that the DVLA have come up with is possibly enforcable especially when sat next to the Historic Vehicle MOT exemption rule. As other have said the lack of any clear guidance and accountability of unhelpful.

I'm guessing it will only come to a head when Lord/Lady [insert posh name here] discover that their prized classic car collection will be affected.
KS

Post by KS »

Don't expect the MOT exemption rules to remain in place if the DVLA's sweeping changes come into play. Never forget that the ultimate aim is to drive all privately owned, driver controlled vehicles off the road as part of the UN's declared aim to prevent all road deaths by 2050... Laughable as that seems, it is the driving force behind much of modern automobile-related legislation.

Ford's EV Mustang has now been given the OK to bring 'hands-free' motoring to our roads (so-called 'Blue Cruise' technology), a way to get the general motoring public used to the idea. When one manufacturer does it, others will follow and suddenly it becomes the norm. Joe Public will look at it and say 'Wow! That's cool!' - while the likes of us sit and think 'WTF???'. Don't forget, we already have active cruise control and lane guidance on many modern cars.

No new government will stop this gradual (or not so gradual) erosion of the driver's rights for fear of losing the green vote. Once in place, that's it...
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
rhd racer
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

More scary cr@p from DVLA

Post by rhd racer »

I think some of that progress will be reversed when the inevitable accidents occur. A couple of real life examples;

- Our ID3 slamming on the brakes as it interpreted a gentle slope onto a relatives drive to be a hard object so slammed on the brakes to save us from inevitable death! I had to take 5 bites at it, resulting in a J-turn-esque run up that most would not attempt
- More worrying, was my sister in law in her Volvo, where using cruise and car in front tracking in a 50mph limit on the motorway due to roadworks, the car picked up the 15mph speed limit in the hard shoulder designated for contractors and slammed on the brakes and stayed at 15mph. Unsurprisingly in the heat of the moment it took her a while to work out which of the stupid safety functions caused it. Can you imagine the carnage that could have caused?

The tech just does not yet work.

Oh, and hasn’t our Monarch got an Aston or E-type converted to EV?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by rhd racer on Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
93 964 C2
99 Boxster 2.5 > 2.7 hill climber

71 914/6 3.0 - gone

'You see Paul, hill climbing is like making love to a beautiful woman. You get your motor running, check your fluids, hang on tight and WHOA..30 seconds later it's all over!' Swiss Tony
Ollie
DDK forever

Post by Ollie »

KS wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:22 amdriver controlled vehicles off the road as part of the UN's declared aim to prevent all road deaths by 2050
I feel the sudden urge to drive... a lot... 27 years of motoring left which takes me to 71 :?

Best get the miles in while we can.
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Quick jump out of my trench on this.

I'll be dead by 2030 most likely, 2050 the planet will be dead too (green vote), so this lot is silly.

I really dislike the liberty being taken away by this subject. Joe Public will not care until it hits them, 'You can't do this or that Here' because us or another invisible department say so.
Cars earlier than a certain age will be banned, value lost, and you can only have something else you do not want, or can afford. Suddenly J Public will take notice.
And Vote.
We are not elected by you so have nothing to fear, we should be in fear of this.

Back to my trench.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
IanM
DDK rules my life!

Post by IanM »

A question about cancelling the SORN -

As it's illegal to tax a vehicle without insurance, would 'laid-up' insurance be enough to tax an Historic vehicle?
rhd racer

Post by rhd racer »

I don’t think it is possible Ian - the DVLA look up insurance status when applying for RFL (whether free or not). Laid up insurance will not show up on the register - only that covering road risks
93 964 C2

71 914/6 3.0 - gone

'You see Paul, hill climbing is like making love to a beautiful woman. You get your motor running, check your fluids, hang on tight and WHOA..30 seconds later it's all over!' Swiss Tony
IanM
DDK rules my life!

Post by IanM »

What does RFL stand for?
rhd racer

Post by rhd racer »

Sorry - road fund licence
93 964 C2

71 914/6 3.0 - gone

Nine One One
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Nine One One »

You can check insurance status on the ‘Ask MID’ data base for any vehicle.

https://ownvehicle.askmid.com
IanM
DDK rules my life!

Post by IanM »

Nine One One wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:27 pm You can check insurance status on the ‘Ask MID’ data base for any vehicle.

https://ownvehicle.askmid.com
Does that tell you whether your insurance status has RFL or not? (I haven't checked yet)
rhd racer

Post by rhd racer »

You can do that on the DVLA tax checker - just need the reg number and vehicle model. Most of my old cars are sadly no longer….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
93 964 C2

71 914/6 3.0 - gone