Silverstone Classic:getting too expensive?

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Silverstone Classic:getting too expensive?

Post by 911hillclimber »

For more than 33 years we have been to the Silverstone Classic in the old 911.
It has progressively become harder to justify on a £/fun basis, and now the PCGB have no 'presence' there as they have in the past last year was hard to swallow, but the ticket prices in an early (pre 85) car are around £75/£100 each per day.
Have things just become poor value for money, or i'm getting more miserable?
Autosport show was too expensive, Classic Car shows at the NEC are in the £25/30 /person/day now + parking.

Is our interest being exploited?
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
MikeS911
DDK addict

Re: Silverstone Classic:getting too expensive?

Post by MikeS911 »

I agree used to enjoy going to a number of events but now feel quite a few are overpriced hard to justify. There are a few events that I still enjoy but the prices do make it hard to do all of them.
As an ex exhibitor places like the NEC etc have priced a lot of people out so the interests are getting less.
Just a moan from the older guys!!!
MikeS
deano
I luv DDK!

Post by deano »

I think I'm a bit younger and these are legitimate complaints, not just moans. I agree with you, I think we classic car guys and petrol heads are being exploited in many cases, and more so very recently.

It is difficult in these cases to justify making it a family day out.

The crazy thing is that quite often it is our own cars on show, which together make the event, and yet we still have to pay an arm and a leg to park in a field. e.g. Petrolheadism.

We are finding that the same can be said about many other things e.g. campground fees, flights, restaurants..

In the Mustang GB club, their events tended to be less than a tenner a head, or even free, and ripe for family days out... so good value does still exist in some car circles...
Dean
1973T Targa MFI 334 met blu- under restoration https://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewt ... 28&t=67060
1980 924 Turbo, blu/grn tartan - restored
anglophone1
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by anglophone1 »

Goodwood always seemed expensive - members meeting is now £132 for 2 days - which actually now seems fair value for what is a fantasic show.
C
Clive
West Cork, Ireland

RGruppe #814
1978 SC/1984 3.2 Outlaw -Jaffa 911
1973 914 - on Webers - historic rally car- Tango 914
1977 924 2.0 on Webers street legal race car - Martini 924
Flachbau -in progress
DustyM
I need to get out more!

Post by DustyM »

Trouble is, as with any business the cost of overheads keeps going up and up so therefore the costs have to be recouped.

The other option is that the shows won’t exist at all…..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hot66

Post by hot66 »

Spa classic or six hours is still cheap

Classic LeMans has got more expensive, but basic tickets are cheaper than silverstone

Personally I don’t like silverstone classic as the circuit has no atmosphere
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
jb
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by jb »

The hill climbs like Prescott are always good fun and never seem to be over expensive.
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

hot66 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:52 pm
Personally I don’t like Silverstone classic as the circuit has no atmosphere

Totally agree.

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Yes, a 'dead' circuit, but i went for the cars in the paddocks because I like getting close to the tech of the cars rather than round n round the same bend.
Last year we forced ourselves to go despite the spat between PCGB and the Organisers, but the day for 2 in the 911 would be £250 minimum this time.

Last went to the 6 hours at SPA 3 years ago and I hope to go this year, the very best event I've been to for all i need (wife likes it too, indeed she likes motorsport), we have been 5 times in the last 10 years.
£250 goes towards the trip well and a few days to a few other places too.

A National level hillclimb is £15 to get in, free parkin;, all rather different to the above but sure feels like value, but obviously bias...

Going to a local classic car show at Apley, close to Bridgnorth, Shropshire in mid July.
Free and 500 cars, some friends (I do have some!) and once over the bumpy field all is well.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
70sThrowback
DDK slapper chatter

Post by 70sThrowback »

If you join TIPEC you can get on the club display and its £130 for the weekend for 2 adults and car. Maybe not worthwhile joining for this 1 event, but you also get discounts at Thruxton and Donington Historic too.
Jonny

Current custodian of 1976 Porsche 912E, 1973 VW Camper
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

The classic is quite intriguing for me. I've been there twice, once as spectator and once as competitor. I don't get the "dead" feeling about Silverstone that is mentioned. I think the Classic is quite a lively event and I really enjoyed watching the racing both times.
What I do struggle with is that you can't do both things. You can't watch the racing as well as do all the infield stuff. All the time you are infield, there is great racing going on that you are missing! It's certainly pricey to enter as a driver!

And it's a great place to drive, gratuitous picture time...

jeremyg
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by jeremyg »

anglophone1 wrote:Goodwood always seemed expensive - members meeting is now £132 for 2 days - which actually now seems fair value for what is a fantasic show.
C
..and it has great atmosphere, enhanced by great design, and pretty much wherever you go you’ll see the racing in close up as it’s properly covered with cameras and screens. And the food/ display offerings are really really good.