Classic Beetle question

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

Winston Teague
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Classic Beetle question

Post by Winston Teague »

I know there's a considerable Beetle knowledge base here (to say the least) .....
A question, is there a 1300cc Classic Beetle model with irs rear suspension and torsion bar front?
W
Winston
'61 356 BT5 & a lot of broken chain driven stuff
Sam
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Classic Beetle question

Post by Sam »

Yep. 1968 onwards cars had IRS.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
simon james
DDK slapper chatter

Post by simon james »

By IRS I assume you mean the one with CV joints rather than the regular Swing Axle (still technically IRS…)
In which case I thought it was only the semi-autos
and most of those were 1500cc???
It doesn't matter if you speak your mind, because those that matter don't mind and those that mind don't matter.......!
Lusting after a 30/98, will settle for a 23/60.
hot66

Classic Beetle question

Post by hot66 »

Sam wrote:Yep. 1968 onwards cars had IRS.
Wrong. Most were still swing axle. Your thinking of the ‘sporto ’ gearbox model cars ( see Simon’s response )

IRS was the. 1302 and 1303.

When we did my last build we took a 1303 chassis and installed a beam front frame head.

Rare event to out geek Sam :lol:
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
KS

Post by KS »

The only IRS Beetles in 1968 were 1500 semi-autos. However, semi-autos were also available with a 1300 engine from August 1968.
In August 1968, US-spec models were fitted with IRS rear suspension, matched to torsion-bar front ends.
From 1971 model year, 1300 Beetles with McPherson strut front suspension (flat-screen 1302 or the later curved-screen 1303) had the IRS rear.
So a basic 1300 Beetle with IRS rear would have to be an import, or a converted semi-auto.

However, you could buy a swing-axle Beetle right up to the very end of production in Mexico...
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
Winston Teague

Post by Winston Teague »

Brill, thanks chaps, that is good info. That leads on to: Would the torsion bar front end a bolt off/on swap for the macpherson strut setup, or is it a splice-2-chassis-together job? And if the latter, is converting a swing axle car to IRS easier than converting a Macpherson Strut car to Torsion bar beam? W
Winston
Nige

Post by Nige »

Totally different chassis up front on mac strut so you would need to do some major surgery to make that work, not sure what the benefits are either.

Red9 do their own conversion kits for front and rear. https://www.red9design.co.uk/type1.htm

I'd imagine you can get an off the shelf IRS kit for a swing axle setup. I think it's different trailing arms, some bracketry and different axles.
hot66

Post by hot66 »

Winston Teague wrote:Brill, thanks chaps, that is good info. That leads on to: Would the torsion bar front end a bolt off/on swap for the macpherson strut setup, or is it a splice-2-chassis-together job? And if the latter, is converting a swing axle car to IRS easier than converting a Macpherson Strut car to Torsion bar beam? W
My 66 cabrio we did this 1303 chassis with torsion bar frame head welded on .. splice on the tunnel. You need to make sure everything is in the right position as you could really mess up …
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

hot66

Post by hot66 »

What are you trying to achieve though ? If it’s performance then 1303 beetle with its front suspension design is the best way unless you want the style of the older cars
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

KS

Post by KS »

Winston, what are you actually after? A nice Beetle to drive around in? One to do trials? Hillclimbing? Circuit racing? Rallies?

Converting a MacPherson strut floorpan to torsion bar front is pretty easy as everything from the pedals/front bulkhead back is essentially the same (apart from the IRS bit obviously). Chopping off the front part of the floorpan and replacing it with the torsion bar set-up is a matter of alignment and good welding...

Yes, you can buy bolt-on IRS mounts to accept factory IRS trailing arms to convert a swing-axle floorpan if you go that route. Once the alignment is all set up, weld the mounts in place.
Keith Seume
My YouTube channel
KS

Post by KS »

Snap! :lol:
Keith Seume
My YouTube channel
Winston Teague

Post by Winston Teague »

The idle musings are based on the best combo for a lifted, tail heavy trials car, that can still be a reasonably stable and sensible road car. When lifted, we assume the swing axle setup will become pretty twitchy on a smooth road, and the tyre footprint is poor for both mud and tarmac. The front end would want light weight components, and strength and travel.....the bulk of the rear balast would be demountable between events.
We are also airbag curious, as this could give us the lift we need just for the observed sections, returning to normal for road use......but not if fragile, expensive or heavy....
The IRS conversion, whilst very doable, is quite a big shopping list with driveshafts, gearbox etc....
The obvious and sensible solution is to snap up a pre prepped car, but where's the fun in that! W
Winston
Winston Teague

Post by Winston Teague »

And with my sensible responsible Dad hat on the rot status of any potential candidate trumps the suspension spec.....
Winston
jwhillracer
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by jwhillracer »

My brother's 1955 rally beetle - with IRS :wink:

JW
Life's a single timed run with no practice....
1970 914/6 2.4E/Webers
1970 VW Beetle project
1972 911 Hillclimber 3.2 MFI. Part of the family for 30+ years!
2006 Hymer Merc Starline 630
2000 T4 Van LPG
2000 Golf V5 Estate GT (Greyhound Transport!)
hot66

Post by hot66 »

if lifted .. how about trying to put together a swing axle rear end with reduction boxes from a split screen camper ... Ive no knowledge of wether you could do this or even if its sensible ... might be a stupid idea. ( I've only ever wanted my beetles / campers to go quicker and go round corners )

otherwise .. have a look at the Baja bugs ( the ones actually competing in the US not just the 'style' )
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster