Check your pipes

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Check your pipes

Post by 911hillclimber »

It has been a while since I last looked at it tbh, but iirc the U shaped tube has swaged banjo joints either end to suit the 964 pump and the '73T tank.

73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

Lightweight_911 wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:21 pm .

The clue is in the thread ...

Hi Andy, if that was an answer to my question of which R variant of J30 that pipe is, I can't see it in the thread!
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

"The SAEJ30R9 specification is designed to withstand modern bio-ethanol enriched petrol (E5 and E10) available at petrol stations" ...

This spec hose is available from multiple stockists at vastly varying prices - the stockist mentioned earlier in this thread is the most expensive I've seen (I usually buy mine from Advanced Fluid Solutions) ...

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

Thanks Andy, but my question was about the hose that failed rather than the right one to put on.
sisu
DDK forever

Post by sisu »

theorangeperil wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:19 pm Anyone know the situation with fuel in Europe?
The Super unleaded 98 or 95 E5 normally has no more than 5% ethanol. But its broadly the main high grade fuel available.
There are some exceptions, like in Estonia and UK with companies that have ethanol free. But normally I assume that E5 high octane fuel is everywhere.

As an aside, I think the Caffine and Machine or the Bike shed moto cafe in London or places that are trying to get classic car or motorbikes to frequent their Cafe/Pub are missing an opportunity of selling something like the Formula 105 octane fuel from a Vintage petrol pump in their carpark as part of their draw to classic car and motorbikes without catalytic converters. Being able to put a Tiger in your tank for the run home does match the changing hobby of classic car usage nowadays.
Its much like having an EV charge port at your business, we did it so that people spend 30 minutes in your shop, we fitted a Biogas fuel station at our business and the cost to put them in was the same when all is said and done.
Scene tax
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

I was under the impression that 105 octane works do nothing unless your engine was set up for it?
sisu
DDK forever

Post by sisu »

gridgway wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:16 pm I was under the impression that 105 octane works do nothing unless your engine was set up for it?
Yes, there is no knock sensor integrated into the early fuel injected Porsches.
Pulsed injection systems (simple EFI - no ignition control)
D-Jetronic - 914E
L-Jetronic - air flow meter - 914, 928
LH-Jetronic - Same as L but with hot wire air mass. 928s, 928S4
CIS:
K-Jetronic - BOSCH's first CIS no electornics. 911, 911SC, 930
K-Jetronic with lambda - 930 86on, 924 Turbo, 911SC 80-83

If you are running pulsed injection, CIS, mechanical fuel injection or carbs. You have to build the engine for that fuel as there was no ability to change a fuel map or spark map for different fuels as back then there was no need. But that does not mean that cars can't run a flex fuel sensor, knock sensor, crankshaft position sensor, lambda and sequential fuel injection now or in the future.
Scene tax
Nine One One
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Nine One One »

Was the old 5* fuel not 100 octane and 4* 98 or so super unleaded percentage wise but now with shite loads of additives and ethanol to boot
impmad2000
I need to get out more!

Check your pipes

Post by impmad2000 »

I replaced my pipes with what I thought were ethanol proof pipes back in 2010. Sure enough they have started to crack. To be fair I have always just used std pump fuel, E5 going to E10. Oh well, gives me something to do !
Tim Bennett
RHD Targa 2.2T EFI, Triumph ITB's, EDIS and Megasquirt.
"Old enough to know what's right and young enough not to choose it"
911GP
DDK forever

Post by 911GP »

Hello,
Why do modern cars not have this issue with cracking pipes when using regular unleaded fuel?
Thanks
Gitesh
Bruce M
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Bruce M »

Most fuel lines on modern cars seem to be nylon. Sometimes with a soft cover for protection against rubbing. They use the minimal amount of rubber from what I can see. The rubber they do use will be something like Cohline 2240, or better OEM equivalent.