Brakes overheating in the Pennines!

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by neilbardsley »

When driving to Manchester from Chatsworth in our Yaris the ABS decided to activate it on the way down a hill. Not wet but I think I had been dragging/feathering the brakes on the way down the hills. This may of over heated the pads. I decided to change more to a firm short press of the brake pedal (I also put the engine in a lower gear). Mrs B and the dogs in the back werent happy about the more sudden braking but do other agree this is how not to over heat the brakes?

Sent from my M2004J19C using Tapatalk

“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

ABS shouldn’t activate in the conditions you describe due to brake temperature. It’s normally quite the opposite! If the brakes are cooked they can’t generate the stopping power.

Only exception might be if the fronts are pretty much on fire and you are pressing so hard to make something happen it then will activate the ABS to stop the rears locking. And if you get to that point with wife and dog in the car you are a braver man than me!

Did the pedal go soft?
neilbardsley

Re: Brakes overheating in the Pennines!

Post by neilbardsley »

Drum brakes on the rear so no abs there. The brakes do go a bit soft and juddered but I thought that was the abs but maybe it was the pads not gripping? When we got home I checked how much pad was left expecting to bit see much but lots left

“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

ABS works on all four wheels, drum or disc doesn’t matter.

You may just have a warped disc that’s giving kick back at certain brake pressures.
Nine One One
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Nine One One »

When was the last time you change your brake fluid, did you get your brakes that hot (as you imply) that you boiled the fluid and hence that is why the pedal is now going soft?
Could be an ABS sensor failing, or a cracked abs ring behind the disc, or just a build up of crud on the ring itself?
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Good point. I've bleed the brakes recently but I'm not sure all the fluid was replaced

Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

neilbardsley wrote:Good point. I've bleed the brakes recently but I'm not sure all the fluid was replaced

The problem is usually the last thing you ‘fixed’ This is what I tell my son :) and it’s normally true!

Possibly some air in a line or even the ABS modulator.
Martin P
DDK Fanatic

Post by Martin P »

In my experience when in a manual or auto car you are best to use gears for a bit of engine braking if you are pedalling hard, especially downhill.
For some reason ,particularly in an automatic, passengers don't understand why you are letting the engine "rev" on a long downhill stretch
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

Do you know that the brakes overheated?
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

We had one of the original Yaris cars when they were launched, so maybe not relelant here, but the car never put a foot wrong. Had it serviced by the Dealer than after warrantee expired the local tyre depot and all was well, 10 years trouble free. Brake fluid changed to schedule etc.
Had a Toyota iQ after, and that was even better.
Full brake service I think Neil to restore confidence.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
sisu
DDK forever

Post by sisu »

gridgway wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 8:01 am Do you know that the brakes overheated?
Having the ABS light come on after you have toasted the brakes can happen. But this is to tell you that there is no ABS.
I would be looking at your tires rather than in the brakes. Having ECO tires that are low rolling resistance makes great mpg but are slippery as shite.
Having the ABS kick in is because your tires are at the envelope of traction. Not the pads are rubbing or the brakes are faulty.
Scene tax
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

Did a light come on and/or did the abs activate?

I think I'm a bit confused by the symptoms!!
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

No light and the tyres are in good condition

gridgway

Post by gridgway »

To summarise, the ABS activated when you didn't think you were braking hard enough to lock the wheels?
Dry weather?
Quite strange. If the car had detected an issue then the ABS warning light would be on.
Nine One One
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Nine One One »

I think he needs to explain it a bit better, a bit like his 'ride to week’ concerning the weather. Either that or the wheels are sticking on the Enigma machine he types with, as half the time I need someone to decipher his encrypted posts?? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: