Changing Cars

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

jeremyg
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Changing Cars

Post by jeremyg »

Actually it’s sort of Changing Cars and life…

I’ve been a bit quiet on here although enjoying everyone else’s builds and Porschelife on DDK as usual. I thought I’d post a catch up on our own Porsche lives. I say our - Trish and I both drive the cars.

Bit of a re-cap first. In 2020 I posted on the arrival of the new to me 71 911t - bought through Williams Crawford, but it was in fact a recent restoration by Matthew TangerineT (on here).

I loved it immediately - a really lovely and exciting drive with a ‘S’ cammed 2.2 engine. I remember KS asking me what Trish thought of it to drive - and I’m afraid to say I didn’t and couldn’t answer it at the time.

To cut a very long and painful story short (well quite short) - Trish could hardly walk at the time, let alone drive, as she needed a critical hip replacement, but like countless thousands of others she of course couldn’t have it as no hospitals were doing them because of the Covid restrictions.

To help her get by we bought a mobility scooter (together with the obligatory furry dice), for her to get around the new garden, and later on to go to plant events - so she could at least still try and follow her first love - gardening.

After months and months of this pain, as things began to open up a little, we realised that to get anything done we’d have to go privately for the first time in our lives. In the end we managed to find a surgeon who’d do it , and eventually she went for the pre-op checks. But a couple of days later she was told that there was a problem. The anaesthetist had seen the results and said the op couldn’t go ahead because of her ‘heart condition’.

This was a bolt from the blue. Trish had no idea that she had advanced heart disease. We struggled to get the necessary further tests, but over the intervening months it became clear that she urgently needed a triple heart bypass and something called a mitral valve repair.

The chances of getting one inside the NHS were nil.

So once again we decided to try and go privately, blessing the fact that we could at least still afford to, and she eventually went alone to Liverpool heart hospital, to have it done. I wasn’t able to visit and give support at all. Number 10 partied and trollied booze into Downing Street but we couldn’t even get to give support to our wives, not even in full PPE. If I’d known about the parties at the time I’d have been livid. Trish was not in the same danger as many others of course, but I have a special sympathy now for all those thousands of people who couldn’t support their loved ones through Covid hospitalisation, and worse still - death - in those awful times.

Trish came through though, and came back following a semi successful operation but then had to recuperate for several months before she could even begin to think about getting her painful, still totally debilitating, hip fixed. Consequently the 71 911t remained undriven by her. I’ll pause here to gather breath and put in a car pic in a vain attempt to maintain interest. Sorry it’s all got so medical, cars coming again soon.

Gary71
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Changing Cars

Post by Gary71 »

So sorry to hear of your family health issues, the Covid restrictions were so cruel at times.

Hopefully you can both come out the other side.
jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

Thanks Gary - you’re right, but in this instance I’m not pausing looking for sympathy - the gaps in the storytelling is because I’m struggling with Tapatalk and pics to get the bloody text together…

Anyway, meanwhile Trish tried to live as normally as possible. Mobility scooters are so so useful.

A brilliant hired mobility scooter with large tyres and appropriate sticker got her through our visit to the Goodwood Revival.

But we gave up all hope of her driving the new tangerine T any time soon. Meanwhile I was using it more and more. The 356 was being left in the garage too much and it was around then that the idea of selling it took root.

It was Trish’s favourite car - but she had to agree - it was not being used enough. The day it sat in the front drive waiting for transport to Williams Crawford was a sad, quiet one, for both of us. We had discussions with WC about the appropriate price but basically I left that to WC - they have other stock against which it would be viewed and they needed to keep some comparability. That was a number of months agoImage

You may have seen it advertised again recently on DDK - still for sale at Williams Crawford. In fact though, they’ve now bought it from us - they have the patience to play the long game, and I’m glad to see their confidence in the car and the market. More to follow…
hashman
DDK forever

Post by hashman »

Oh gosh, sorry to hear about Trish...... hope she is mending well now.
Please send her well wishes from me and Hazel .

Karl
Keep the Outlaw Faith
jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

After 8 months recuperation Trish then had a hip replacement op ( privately again of course - there was no hope of one otherwise and her heart recuperation was suffering through immobility

Thankfully I’m glad to say that that has been successful, so some 18 months after it had arrived, in March this year she sat behind the wheel of the 911t for the first time. We chose a quiet spot on the Somerset levels, with good fast empty roads. I remember as I got out of the car I saw a heron in the field waiting for fish to show in a slow moving stream.

Now I’d had a little trouble with the battery being slow to start, but it had got me to Bicester and back recently. She settled into the seat, and refreshed her memory on the dogleg box, and tried starting. The engine turned but wouldn’t fire up. I tried too, but no luck, the battery turned it over a few more times then gave up the ghost. Everything else seemed alright under the engine cover, so we called the RAC.

The RAC man, a nice friendly local guy came and took one look and said he didn’t rate Lion batteries, (the original battery the car came with) but we hooked up and it started pretty immediately with his jump leads.

I drove home. All very frustrating, but Trish and I laughed about it.
RobFrost
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by RobFrost »

Great to hear Trish got her heart and hip done in the end. Amazing what they can do these days!

Breakdown cover invaluable when you own a classic!

I hope she enjoyed driving it. I love driving my T.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
1970 911T, Signal orange (Restoration thread)
1988 3.2 Carrera backdate, Black
2001 996 Turbo, Lapis blue (am I allowed to put that here?)
I'm looking for a pre-impact bumper 911S or other high-revving 911 to restore - please let me know if you see one.
jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

It was the first time the battery had failed to start so I then trickle charged it and it seemed fine - much stronger I thought. We next got the chance for her to drive a couple of weeks later.

We went to exactly the same spot. I left the engine running this time as we changed seats. I noticed what looked like the same heron in the field but a little further down the stream. As Trish sat in the engine died. It wouldn’t restart, the battery slowly died as we tried and tried. I was too embarrassed to call the RAC so we called a friend and luckily she was free and we started it from her Mercedes - I was by now carrying jump leads - just in case.

I replaced it with a Varta pronto, and then just a few days ago we just jumped in on a Saturday morning - we purposely avoided any idea of returning to the same spot in case it was jinxed - and Trish drove straight out from the house.

She liked it, got the hang of the gearbox quickly, and if only we weren’t working so damn hard in the garden ready for an NGS opening she’d have been out again already. There you are Keith - she likes the car! And now that’s not the only car she’s waiting to drive..
jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

hashman wrote:Oh gosh, sorry to hear about Trish...... hope she is mending well now.
Please send her well wishes from me and Hazel .

Karl
As you can see Karl - she got through it, and is really pleased to be driving again. Thanks to you and Hazel for your well wishes.
jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

RobFrost wrote:Great to hear Trish got her heart and hip done in the end. Amazing what they can do these days!

Breakdown cover invaluable when you own a classic!

I hope she enjoyed driving it. I love driving my T.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
She loves the T now Rob - and so do I. And yes -always have good cover. I’d had warning signs on the battery but I ignored them - that’s always going to come back and bite you.
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

So pleased to hear Trish is through all her trials and enjoying the 911

My mechanic said Lion batteries are awful - he’s lost count of how many fail and just suddenly discharge for no reason - he’s doesn’t touch them now
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
anglophone1
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by anglophone1 »

Great stuff Jeremy - you have two great girls there! Please don’t post any more pix of your Saab Turbo convertible or I will end up buying one!
C
Clive
West Cork, Ireland

RGruppe #814
1978 SC/1984 3.2 Outlaw -Jaffa 911
1973 914 - on Webers - historic rally car- Tango 914
1977 924 2.0 on Webers street legal race car - Martini 924
Flachbau -in progress
jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

Bootsy wrote:So pleased to hear Trish is through all her trials and enjoying the 911

My mechanic said Lion batteries are awful - he’s lost count of how many fail and just suddenly discharge for no reason - he’s doesn’t touch them now
I’ve heard that from other people as well now - Varta or Bosch were the batteries of choice of the RAC guy. The Varta has been fine since I bought it.
jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

anglophone1 wrote:Great stuff Jeremy - you have two great girls there! Please don’t post any more pix of your Saab Turbo convertible or I will end up buying one!
C
You’ve got to have a convertible in your garage - and few are better than the ‘architect’s’ Saab 900 turbo convertible. Still love it. I won’t ever post it again Clive. Maybe.
jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

As part of our discussions on them buying the 356 from me, Adrian at Williams Crawford asked me if I had plans for another car to replace the 356. He wanted to show me a light blue 930 turbo convertible. The 930 is one of those Porsches on my curious-to-try list. I went down and drove it and I now know I really like a 930 to drive, but not a convertible with a linen interior. But he did have a car that interested me.

I read 000 magazine, or should I say I invest in it as it’s so bloody expensive.

My 996 C4S I love, lights an all, it’s a fabulous drive, but I’d read in 000 Dickie Meaden’s article comparing the 3 iterations of 996 GT3.

I rate Dickie Meaden as a driver and writer, and my curiosity about the Gen 1 GT3 grew.

Then I saw on DDK that Feroz was buying one, and 1 followed the exchanges on it with growing interest. And Adrian had one, a Gen 1 GT3 in the showroom at WC, which I drove at the same time as the 930.

During the drive he said ‘go round the roundabout - go right around it’. I did as I was told and wow, there it was again, pretty much as in the 911t- an exciting directness and a lightness, full of feedback, but in a far more powerful car, with no driver aids.

I exchanged PM’s with Feroz and he was really helpful. It seemed like his experiences so far pretty much endorsed the car and its capabilities - that basically it’s a very good drive, potentially of course one that’s close to being a race car, but one that’s also pretty happy to take to the shops.

As part of any deal my 996 would have to go of course, no point in having 2 996’s and the money would complete the purchase. I said I’d buy it. And I got a copy of the launch booklet off eBay.

This only served to whet the appetite more.

Something still worried me though. Apart from the fact that a Zanzibar Red GT3 was rather out there for me (as Feroz said, not exactly ‘ under the radar’), I loved the C4S and Adrian could only give me a traders deal on it. I understand of course - he has to make it suitable for market, at a percentage. It’s his business. But suddenly it all seemed wrong to let a good car go and I backed out. Adrian took it very understandingly but I think Feroz was pretty surprised when I told him.

Then a great thing happened.
jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

Both my children and their respective spouses are on the additional drivers list for all our cars insurance. I’ve always seen the cars as family assets to be enjoyed by all. James my son in law had often driven the 996 C4S and very much liked it. I said I’d let him have it for the same price as WC offered, thinking it would be too much for him, but he came back to me with a solution - he and a close mate in Bristol would buy it jointly. Excellent solution, and I love setting two younger petrol heads off on the path to Porschedom. And so they now have it

Cooler dudes than I’ll ever be.

That left me free to do the deal with WC, and the GT3 arrived a few weeks ago.

So now we have an all Zanzibar/tangerine garage (apart from the Saab cabriolet Clive).

Until yesterday I’d only driven the GT3 to collect it and return, but I went up onto the Mendips yesterday, and the phrase from Andy at Williams Crawford when he handed it over to me came to mind - ‘when you know you know’. Wow. Sensational driving car.

And it’s fascinating to see this and the ‘T’ together. Porsche genes shining through.

And to round off the whole story, Trish has driven it too now - and she likes it, which is just as well as she’s got to co-drive it to the South of France very soon.

Lesson from the past couple of years, you only live once, so you’d better get on with it if you can. Changing Cars and life…