1987 3.2 Carrera Backdate project - Sladeys hotrod

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

sladey
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

1987 3.2 Carrera Backdate project - Sladeys hotrod

Post by sladey »

OK here goes....

Bought my car at the end of 1999. I always wanted a pre-impact 911, but was advised on various sites to buy the latest car I could afford (I drive the car every day)

I've been pleased with the car and apart from blowing up the original engine in 2002 it's gone well.

within a few months of buying the car it dawned on me that the bodyshell was very similar to the early cars and backdating might be possible (although I'd not heard the word 'backdating' before). I mentioned it to someone selling GRP panels at one of the porsche events and he more or less laughed - made me feel I was a bit weird in wanting to do this.

I knew it would be possible as I'd seen an article in 911 & PW from around 1995 where this German guy had bought one of the last speedster bodyshells coming off the line in '89 and had made it look like a pre-impact bumper speedster, complete with gulf colours (if any of you've seen that article/car I'm sure you'll remember it ). However I had no idea of going about it and as I hadn't the practical knowledge of stripping early & late porsches I had no idea whether it was possible.

Anyway things changed over last few years and backdating became more common. I knew I wanted to do this. Earlier this year I noticed that vicious rust has appeared in the front wings and other minor blebs - I need a respray and probably new wings, so why not backdate it at the same time?

Just before Christmas I picked up a set of 7&8x15 Fuchs and decided I'd better get on with it.

For the last 6 months I've been gradually gathering the parts together. DDKers have been useful and helpful. Bought wings and bonnet at Husborne Crawley. I've also bought the silver window surrounds (thanks Alan)

It's suprised me how much everything has cost - I'd get to a point where I think "I'm ready now" and then someone would mention that I need something else. £200 here and £300 there soon adds up. I've got to the stage though where I've no choice - I've got to do it and I don't have the luxury to waiting until a cheaper part becomes available.

I finally got it in the bodyshop this week - on the 5th September. It' just around the corner from my work so I can pop and see it regularly. I met the guys at the garage at a local investors in people meeting - they really impressed me with how the whole company is committed to doing a good job - as a result they have won garage of the year award and do a lot of work for insurance companies. Nice bunch too. End of commercial.

I talked the work through with Paul, the bodyshop guy - he said it was all fine but did I have magazine pictures to explain everything. I've written him out a full guide to what I want doing and let him have a number of pictures.

I'm going for a colour change at the same time - to Silver. Had a lot of debate/thought over this, as every man and his dog drives a silver car. However I do like it and think it'll suit the car. I'm going for an outlaw(ish) stylee, with undertones of 911R, but not slavishly following any one particular car.

Heres the car before I started (not strictly true as I've removed the cill covers, reavealing a few more holes than I'd expected)

By Friday (yesterday) they'd started stripping everything off - starting from the front:-

I'm going to keep adding photos as the project goes on. I intend to get porsche transfers for cills and across the rear - using the same sort as on the 911R (I think!) - anyone know where I can get something suitable?

Thanks for reading this and I'll post more pics as and when it happens

Cheers

Mark[/img]
Last edited by sladey on Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
impmad2000
I need to get out more!

Post by impmad2000 »

Congratulations on turning a perfectly good car into a project.
I look forward to seeing the result :)
Tim Bennett
RHD Targa 2.2T EFI, Triumph ITB's, EDIS and Megasquirt.
"Old enough to know what's right and young enough not to choose it"
Barry

Post by Barry »

:lol:

Yes, good luck with it, Mark, any plans for the interior: it's usually the givaway with backdates?
DDK Member1243 07741 273865. Now booking Spring '24. Home of the RY Austin 7 Trophy's
Miggs
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Miggs »

ddk can get the 911R decals for you
COMPUTER GAMES DONT AFFECT KIDS,I MEAN IF PACMAN AFFECTED MY GENERATION AS KIDS, WE WOULD HAVE ALL BE RUNNING AROUND IN THE DARK LISTENING TO REPETITIVE MUSIC MUNCHING PILLS
sladey

Post by sladey »

Thanks for the luck Barry. I will be doing the interior at some stage - probably those repro seats KS fitted into his baboon and maybe RS door cards.

Can't see beyond the exterior at the moment though.

Miggs - how do I go about buying the decals/deciding what i need?

Cheers

Mark
Jean Berk
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by Jean Berk »

I'm glad I found this thread - I feel less alone now - I expect you've seen my Club Sport thread...good luck! :)
Look - I don't wanna 'backdate' it, ok?!!...

My 911 project here...

http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=193824
MdR

Post by MdR »

impmad2000 wrote:Congratulations on turning a perfectly good car into a project.
Good luck Mark. I'm sure the end result will be worthwhile.
Martin Rogers
+44 (0)7812 167547
'69 Ossi blue warmrod 3.0 911T
[sold & sorely missed]'67S '70 Targa T '75 914/4 x 2
sladey

Post by sladey »

Hi Jean, Yes I've read your thread in great detail. I would love to be able to be doing this myself (or at least part of it) but in addition to my job I'm also making 8 patio doors, 2 windows and a kitchen all out of wood.

I liked the carrera CS idea - It's certainly shocked me how much the backdate is costing (and that's before I get onto the respray itself).

At the moment I'm trying not to pop down the garage every 5 minutes. Will keep posting.

Thanks for the good wishes MdR.

Long term plans include the interior, bilsteins, brake upgrade to boxter items, and 993 engine swap

Mark
Ian Donkin
DDK rules my life!

Post by Ian Donkin »

sladey wrote:Long term plans include the interior, bilsteins, brake upgrade to boxter items, 993 engine swap and a remortgage.

Sounds like it's going to be good - keep us all posted.
2006 RHD 997 Carrera (but DDK remains in my heart - also now no longer)
1972 LHD 2.4T with '73 2.4T CIS motor - gone to a new DDK home
1994 RHD 993 Carrera - gone!
1968 LHD 911L - was the Wife's but now in new hands :-(

Jean Berk
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by Jean Berk »

sladey wrote:Hi Jean, Yes I've read your thread in great detail. I would love to be able to be doing this myself (or at least part of it) but in addition to my job I'm also making 8 patio doors, 2 windows and a kitchen all out of wood.

I liked the carrera CS idea - It's certainly shocked me how much the backdate is costing (and that's before I get onto the respray itself).

At the moment I'm trying not to pop down the garage every 5 minutes. Will keep posting.

Thanks for the good wishes MdR.

Long term plans include the interior, bilsteins, brake upgrade to boxter items, and 993 engine swap

Mark
My car is going in tomorrow. I took all the panels down there today, and it was agreed that my rear bumper is pretty bad. What's yours like? I might know someone who needs it...what about your sill covers? Are they straight? Your engine lid grille too - Are you selling it? I might keep my rear wiper after all...
Look - I don't wanna 'backdate' it, ok?!!...

My 911 project here...

http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=193824
sladey

Post by sladey »

Hi Jean,

I think the rear bumper is OK - Maybe some sorrosion but I'm not sure - I'll be checking on the car Friday so can have a look at it then (you'd think I'd know wouldn't you! - There were areas of corrosion on the car but I didn't notice the rear bumper as one of them).

The sill covers are straight I think - didn't have any trouble getting them off apart from corroded screws.

On the engine lid grill - I will be selling it eventually but not until I find a chrome one to replace it.

I'll be bringing all my leftover bits to Husborne Crawley with the intention of selling them - you could check it out there if you're going

Cheers

Mark
sladey

Post by sladey »

Update on wheels. I'd previously bought some 7&8x15 inch Fuchs, with all black centres (I got them through this new thing called ebay). I wanted these detailing - polished spokes black background, as per period, but not sparkly.

I bought these last Christmas and started getting the black off myself in January. I don't know if you've ever tried it but it was a nightmare. One of them came up quite well but it took hours & hours with some synthetic wire wool - paint stripper wouldn't touch the black stuff. Just like the "summer of '69", I worked until my fingers bled. Also when I got down to it I realised I had gone through the anodizing on the edge of one of the spokes. I came to the conclusion that I'd have to get them done properly or lose the use of my right arm and at least one finger.

After reading through Jean's saga someone pointed me towards biagio, and I've since agreed for him to do them on an exchange basis. The pics of his previous work look good and he was highly spoken of in Jean's saga.

He's going to lend me some dummy wheels so I'll be able to sell my existing wheels at Husborne (these are the ones in the pics above).

Going to try and get to look at the car again tomorrow and will take pics - hopefully they will have done something more by then.

Mark
MdR

Post by MdR »

sladey wrote:Just like the "summer of '69", I worked until my fingers bled.
Got my first real 6 string :lol:
sladey wrote: After reading through Jean's saga someone pointed me towards Biagio, and I've since agreed for him to do them on an exchange basis. The pics of his previous work look good and he was highly spoken of in Jean's saga.
You will not be disappointed with Biagio's work. I have 3 sets of rims done by him and I would use him again like a shot.
Martin Rogers
+44 (0)7812 167547
'69 Ossi blue warmrod 3.0 911T
[sold & sorely missed]'67S '70 Targa T '75 914/4 x 2
912uk

Post by 912uk »

Nice work I like to see more project pic's rather than finished cars. Good luck I am sure it will be worth it .......

Mark
hot66

Post by hot66 »

Biagio did the rims on my old cabrio too 8)

James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)