1987 3.2 Carrera Backdate project - Sladeys hotrod

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

sladey
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by sladey »

Thanks for that Derek - I appreciate the photos. It seems like yours just bolt on - mine have another bracket underneath it and I'm not sure where it needs to be cut out

Thanks anyway

Mark
Derek
DDK rules my life!

Post by Derek »

If you need specific (sp) I can take them in the morning.

Derek
sladey

Post by sladey »

Excuse the duplicate posting - I've put this on the 911 board for help, but it's relevant to the progress of my project. Mine looks different to yours Derek - I seem to have these additional brackets - would it be possible for you to let me have a photo from a bit far back - I'm having trouble getting my bearings on what is what. If you can that would be a great help.

OK, so some more detail about the problem....

I was down the bodyshop yesterday and took some photos.

This is what the bracket looks like:_

On this version of the photo I've drawn in the rough shape of the bracket from the rear (rutherfords) bumper

It fouls the bottom of the bracket massively. Also the chunk of metal I've pointed the subtle red arrows at stops the bumper going in far enough.

I can get them to just start cutting but I'm reluctant to do it if anyone here has a similar experience. It also doesn't like there is any obvious place to cut off

Any ideas?
Nick Moss

Post by Nick Moss »

To do a proper backdate and use the RS bumper attachments you need to cut off any backet hanging below the chassis rail.
Nick Moss - early911.co.uk - Fuchs refurbishment
07980 017994
nick@early911.co.uk
sladey

Post by sladey »

Thanks for that Nick - would that basically mean that I need to cut away the area I've highlighted in this photo?

Dyno Soar
I luv DDK!

Post by Dyno Soar »

Mate yes my car has also been cut. If you are around for the Fairmile meet this wed then I can show you in detail. :)

Also some challenging news. You will most likely have to fir a new exhaust system as the later cars banana muffler fouls the rear bumper.

I hope it won't cause you too much trouble. :?
Last edited by Dyno Soar on Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alam

77' 911 Carerra 3.0 'The Beast'
58' 356-A Coupe
55' Chevy
51' AP17
sladey

Post by sladey »

You're 'kin joking! :evil:

I really really really hope you're wrong!

Thanks for letting me know though - which bit fouls it - is it possible to describe it?

Cheers

Mark
cubist
The Fenland Feltcher

Post by cubist »

Dyno Soar wrote:You will most likely have to fit a new exhaust system as the later cars banana muffler fouls the rear bumper
Is this any good?

http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7407

C U B I S T - 1 1 1 5

'83 Triumph Acclaim - 3sp Auto (cat D)
Singer 3232 - Titanium bobbin, Autothread
'67 Gresham Flyer - Puncture, rear
Sherbet Lemons - 4oz, loose
Motorola - PG 2000, locked
sladey

Post by sladey »

Apart from being $2390 too expensive, it's perfect :lol:
Dyno Soar
I luv DDK!

Post by Dyno Soar »

Well the whole thing really at the back... its where the saga of my incredibly LOUD exhaust came from.

1. Now you can get a bypass pipe like I have and let me tell you your car will be loud. Possibly MOT failure and NO chance of track days.

2. Get a exhaust made up to fit.

3. Get pre 74 exhaust and perhaps heat exchangers.

:? Good luck... its worth it buddy.
Alam

77' 911 Carerra 3.0 'The Beast'
58' 356-A Coupe
55' Chevy
51' AP17
sladey

Post by sladey »

As I had trouble sleeping last night I thought I'd give Autofarm a call this morning to see what they had to say about the exhaust thing. They said that yes it does foul against the exhaust but not by very much, and they cut away part of the rear bumper - this is apparently visible from the outside but not by much and it's what they do on their conversions.

They said a similar thing happens when owners of original RS's want to fit an aftermarket exhaust - rather than cut into an original rear bumper they generally buy a glassfibre one and cut into that - they have the same problem as on mine.

The guy was really helpful
sladey

Post by sladey »

OK - got a bit more progress now - it's sort of drifted on a bit over the last few weeks - Once they'd got over the problem of the rear bumper (Which was solved by cutting a small amount away from the bottom of it), they then had to make some new brackets for the front bumper as well.

They then started rubbing it down ready for primer - at that stage it looked like this

This week they've got to the primer stage:_

Took this photo this afternoon. Then took the wheels off because Biagio phoned this week and I'm collecting my wheels tomorrow morning. Also ordered some Bridgestone S02's as well.

The car apparently needs rubbing down again before getting another coat of primer. The doors, bonnet and front wings are all being sprayed off the car.
Gone in 60 seconds
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Gone in 60 seconds »

Mark
I saw your wheels tonight whilst collecting mine - they look superb your be happy. I ment to add following the exhaust comments above, I have a genuine 70's 911 running a 964 lump you welcome to view it if it helps any time as a reference I ve attached a few pictures of my exhaust system hope theyre of use..

73 911 RS(T) #0968
sladey

Post by sladey »

Thanks for that James - I'm actually past that problem now but I like the look of that exhaust - maybe for the future....

What's with your car!! You've only had it 3 months and you've go the glass out - what are you doing with it? If you don't want to post it here stick it under your own entry on the members car gallery - I'd like to see what's happening

Cheers

Mark
Jean Berk
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by Jean Berk »

Looking good! My car is going to be started shortly but i'm running around sorting out fasteners and seals, parts, etc. I've also decided to get the suspension re-set to Club Sport height and have the geometry tweaked too. It's gonna be sweet. 8)
Look - I don't wanna 'backdate' it, ok?!!...

My 911 project here...

http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=193824