New Car Woes - 1...Update

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

Nige
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: New Car Woes - 1...Update

Post by Nige »

There must be a compression fitting option to get the car up and running until repair funds are available.

You will have to properly clean up those ends and try and remove the grooves also ensuring no contamination gets inside.
Nige

Post by Nige »

Couple of these and bit of 15mm copper pipe with a a smear of Fernox LS-X to help seal the grooves up.
https://www.plumbers-mate-sales.co.uk/c ... 6821-p.asp
jwhillracer
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by jwhillracer »

I'm sorry, but correcting this horrendous bodge with a less horrendous bodge is not going to be the way forward. I would baulk at a £5k bill as much (or probably more!!) than anyone, but I know that I wouldn't be happy with anything less than complete new pipes before I drove it again. You will have to cut out the sills etc to remove the pipe and braze it properly, so the cutting, reinstating, preparing and spraying costs are all going to be there at any rate. The risk of doing damage to the engine from another bodge job is too great.
Tuck it up safely in your garage until you can afford to do it properly, and then enjoy your car knowing that the job is done.

JW
Life's a single timed run with no practice....
1970 914/6 2.4E/Webers
1970 VW Beetle project
1972 911 Hillclimber 3.2 MFI. Part of the family for 30+ years!
2006 Hymer Merc Starline 630
2000 T4 Van LPG
2000 Golf V5 Estate GT (Greyhound Transport!)
stretch
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by stretch »

70T barn find...... to ST.
1998 C2 996 Kettle
210bhp

Post by 210bhp »

jwhillracer wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:14 pm I'm sorry, but correcting this horrendous bodge with a less horrendous bodge is not going to be the way forward. I would baulk at a £5k bill as much (or probably more!!) than anyone, but I know that I wouldn't be happy with anything less than complete new pipes before I drove it again. You will have to cut out the sills etc to remove the pipe and braze it properly, so the cutting, reinstating, preparing and spraying costs are all going to be there at any rate. The risk of doing damage to the engine from another bodge job is too great.
Tuck it up safely in your garage until you can afford to do it properly, and then enjoy your car knowing that the job is done.

JW
100% agree.

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
73 2.4E (home after 25 years) and Sold again :-(
73T targa (signal yellow project)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
https://www.mybespokeroom.com/
KS

Post by KS »

/\ /\ 200%
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
964RS

Post by 964RS »

stretch wrote:Have you seen these Jason. https://www.mhteile.com/en/911/1-engine ... sill-set-4
I may have seen it when I first started looking but think they have always been out of stock.
----------------------------------------------------
Jason
https://www.SweepingHand.co.uk
Rolex & Omega Watch Purchases & Sales

964RS

Post by 964RS »

jwhillracer wrote:I'm sorry, but correcting this horrendous bodge with a less horrendous bodge is not going to be the way forward. I would baulk at a £5k bill as much (or probably more!!) than anyone, but I know that I wouldn't be happy with anything less than complete new pipes before I drove it again. You will have to cut out the sills etc to remove the pipe and braze it properly, so the cutting, reinstating, preparing and spraying costs are all going to be there at any rate. The risk of doing damage to the engine from another bodge job is too great.

JW
You are of course 100% right.

The fact that ‘experts in classic Porsche restoration’ thought it was acceptable to repair an important oil pipe with a piece of rubber pipe and 6 jubilee clips two weeks before advertising the same car for sale as fully restored and subsequently ends up costing me £5-7k to sort it all out certainly baulks me. Especially when the whole point of this car was to be one I wouldn’t need to throw money at as it had supposedly been built by one of the best in the business if all their write ups in Classic 911 and Porsche World was anything to go by….

Yes it’s pi$$ed me off I couldn’t go to CLM this year with it because of this. The bloody McQueen Le Mans car after all!!

But you are all right. I’m just trying to short cut the original bodge to be able to use it a bit rather than it sit in the garage yet another year not being used and being a constant reminder of it being f*%€#¥!

In any other year I’d have just paid for it to be sorted and moved on but this is not one of those years…

Maybe I should just repair it and sell it on and be done with it. I don’t know. The whole thing gets on my tits as I really wanted it to be the one and keep for a long time.

You are right though. Am I going to be happy with a temporary fix? Probably not. Probably should just leave it till I can do it all properly :(
Jason

inaglasshouse
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by inaglasshouse »

964RS wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:34 pm Probably should just leave it till I can do it all properly :(
Sorry to hear all this.

I think this was talked about earlier in the thread, but just in case: for the purpose of using the car and hopefully enjoying it, and / or finding out if any other issues lurk before spending the money, why not run it with the feed to the front oil cooler bypassed (so only using the cooler on the engine)? Very easy, obvs, just connect the correct two ports on the thermostat / manifold together so that it recirculates instead of going into the through-sill pipes.
I know it's less cooling, but a T had no front cooler? And you have a temperature gauge. I wouldn't drive to the alps in summer like that, but pottering around B roads in the autumn should be fine?

Good luck.
964RS

Post by 964RS »

That’s a really good idea actually.

Had forgotten about that!

That would certainly be easier in the short term than fannying about with the pipes… :lol:
Jason

gridgway

Post by gridgway »

I'm currently running my 69T with 2.4S engine with no front cooler. Has been driven quite hard and not got over-hot yet in UK weather. I'll need a rear cooler solution though for next summer that has been mentioned on here somewhere ISTR.
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Supplier of that kit of pipes now says in stock
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
964RS

Post by 964RS »

911hillclimber wrote:Supplier of that kit of pipes now says in stock
This one…?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jason

DustyM
I need to get out more!

Post by DustyM »

Have you asked them about availability Jason? It might just be that they are made to order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Boydyrs
DDK forever

Post by Boydyrs »

Jason I’m still very surprised/astounded that a company of Canford have not come forward and offered to rectify this error and thus lift there credentials further as a true passionate restorer especially on DDK. I would have thought reputation would be first on list of any classic restorer. Such a shame as I’m sure this post will run for a long time.