Targa rear screen seal

Need some help with a technical problem - ask away and let's see if we can all help.

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Nige

PeterK
DDK rules my life!

Targa rear screen seal

Post by PeterK »

HELP !

'79 Targa

On the outer side of the seal for the targa rear window, there are two 'slits'.  One is for the trim piece.  The other slit has a hard plastic ridge running down the inside middle, effectively make this slit, two slits in one.  My understanding is that the slit nearest to trim is for the glass and the other for the HRW wires.

I have spent a few days trying to get the screen into the correct slit.  At the end of the first day, I had only managed to get the seal on the bottom of the screen and around the two corners.  I am using thick masking tape to try to secure the seal and stop it slipping off again.  After the second day, the seal was off except for the two corners.  Today it is again on the bottom and the two corners, plus half-way up one side.  Frustrating does describe the experience.

What is very easy, is to fit the glass into the wrong slit.

Please help me with my understanding - just how the hell are you supposed to get the glass in?.  Am I trying the wrong slit (!!) - it slips in easily and fits much better in the 'wrong' slit - sitting much deeper in.  In the 'correct' slit, it seems to be only in about 5mm and takes any opportunity to jump out.  If I put the glass into the wrong slit, then the HRW wires would be on the outside of the car.

Also, how are the wires routed from the glass ?.  If the glass sits one side of the hard plastic divider, do the  wires just loop over the divider and into their channel, do I cut a gap in the hard plastic, or what ?  There are almost cut outs, where the glass has been shaved, by the electric terminals on the glass, so my assumption is I loop the wires over the hard plastic divider.

Finally, collected wisdom seems to be to remove the HRW harness from the car and fit to the screen before refitting.  My harness has a huge connector on the end of the wires inside the engine compartment.  No way will that slide out of the hole into the cabin.  No idea how the factory originally fitted them, but my assumption here is that I just cut the wires and solder them back together later.
'79 Targa - restoration now mainly complete & being driven
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=59756
Nine One One
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Re: Targa rear screen seal

Post by Nine One One »

This one tells you what goes where on the rubber strip - thread is pretty good too

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche- ... ick-2.html

There are a couple of threads on the 911 Registry which may help?

https://www.early911sregistry.org/forum ... stallation

What is not of help is the video with 4 guys needed to put it in!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZKxcuLekjM
PeterK
DDK rules my life!

Re: Targa rear screen seal

Post by PeterK »

Thanks
I’d not seen the early registry post

My issue is not (yet) with the actual fitting - I’m fighting getting the seal onto the glass
'79 Targa - restoration now mainly complete & being driven
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=59756