Porsche Carrera Font Decals no Porsche Content!

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

Winston Teague
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Porsche Carrera Font Decals no Porsche Content!

Post by Winston Teague »

Hi, some may have noticed that my son and I have been 'doing up' a very ugly MGB trials car......It has quite rusty doors.....and we've painted it, no, correction, we have applied a protective coating to the body.....and he has suggested that it would be quite cool/funny to apply 'Carrera' style decals to the door bottoms, that say something other than 'Carrera'......Any idea where to get such things? W
Winston
'61 356 BT5 & a lot of broken chain driven stuff
jwhillracer
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Re: Porsche Carrera Font Decals no Porsche Content!

Post by jwhillracer »

Hi Winston,

A few years ago, when we had sold our business and removed its logo from the sides of our car, Andrew Ashley (anyone heard of him lately??) had these "Cornwall" stripes made up for us.
It wasn't possible to get the exact font, as Porsche keep a tight grip in that, but it was close enough for our purpose. Even more amazing was the number of people who assumed it said "Carrera" and hadn't bothered to read it! :roll:

I'm sure that your friendly local vinyl signwriters would be able to come up with something for you

Cheers
JW
Life's a single timed run with no practice....
1970 914/6 2.4E/Webers
1970 VW Beetle project
1972 911 Hillclimber 3.2 MFI. Part of the family for 30+ years!
2006 Hymer Merc Starline 630
2000 T4 Van LPG
2000 Golf V5 Estate GT (Greyhound Transport!)
Winston Teague
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Winston Teague »

That's excellent! And pretty much what I have in mind. Thanks Jonathon.
Winston
'61 356 BT5 & a lot of broken chain driven stuff
rhd racer
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by rhd racer »

My experience is the same Winston. A few years ago, when a certain Arctic exploration boat was being named, my daughters suggested it would be funny to name my racer the same way.

When I took it to my local sign writer to have my decals designed, he did the sides in the block Porsche script and the rear badge to my daughter’s spec as a surprise to them. He thought I was off my box, but liked the concept!

He did the design to the original font spec in seconds on his PC. It has more photos taken in the paddock of this than it does on the track, so let your imagination run amok!

Sorry it’s diff to take a pic as the car is close to the bench

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
93 964 C2
99 Boxster 2.5 > 2.7 hill climber

71 914/6 3.0 - gone

'You see Paul, hill climbing is like making love to a beautiful woman. You get your motor running, check your fluids, hang on tight and WHOA..30 seconds later it's all over!' Swiss Tony
dragonfly
I luv DDK!

Post by dragonfly »

You can also easily experiment with it at home with Google Fonts.
Select styles of font and type your text at the top to see how it looks in each style.
Al
Member #665
'81 911SC Arrow Blue
Dragonfly 28 trimaran - no speed limits at sea
KS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by KS »

jwhillracer wrote: It wasn't possible to get the exact font, as Porsche keep a tight grip in that
Actually, the Carrera side script doesn't exist as a true font - the style was only used for the Carrera side script and was designed as stand alone artwork solely for that application, hence there are no letters other than C, A, R and E. The C only is upper case, the rest solely as lower case. When we changed the logo on Classic Porsche, we chose to mimic the Carrera script for the word 'Classic' which meant the designer had to second guess what the L, S and I would look like had it been developed as a full font range...
:)
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
sisu
DDK forever

Post by sisu »

Yes maybe Rob can do the same with their off roader.
https://www.carscoops.com/2021/03/exclu ... f-website/
Scene tax