Photographing cars ...

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

Lightweight_911
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Photographing cars ...

Post by Lightweight_911 »

This post is really about seeking tips/hints/advice/etc on taking photos of cars.

I don't particularly tend to take many pictures of my cars but when I do I'm rarely happy with the results.

There are a number of people here on DDK who always post stunning pictures of their cars - eg , Tom (Tp81) & Jonathan (jonno1) are 2 that spring to mind (there are many others including, of course, Mike Moore) so wondered if any of them could share some of their 'secrets' ...

I know that one major contributing factor is the choice of setting - & having an 'eye' for the composition - but are there any other simple 'tricks' ?

Do all great pictures now rely on photo-editing software to some degree or other (I'm not referring to basic adjustments like cropping, adjusting exposure, etc) ?

I know that this still relies on having a good starting point - & even with the best/most expensive camera some people still only produce 'average' images - so what steps can you take to ensure the initial shot is a good basis ?

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
911hillclimber

Re: Photographing cars ...

Post by 911hillclimber »

For years I've had this 'problem'.
Strikes me you have listed the areas to focus on, location, light, composition and to add the right settings for the right shot (you want), ie fast race car on track = lens, shutter speed etc and then the technique to pan instinctively.

Best thing today is you waste nothing with a digital, easy to scrap the lot or get multi shots and choose. Trying to get the good shot on film is both expensive and tedious, and turned me off photography for decades until digital came along.

I do not subscribe to post image editing, snap the picture, that is your photograph.

Above all is practice and more practice, and you don't need a mega camera/lens to get the best shot. Some of Mike's best shots imho are off his I phone.

Can't help thinking a 'My photos' thread in members for just this subject would be good, any agreeable subject matter, but hopefully those gifted would critique the picture.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
majordad
I luv DDK!

Post by majordad »

Im not a great photographer but for cars two rules i apply are

- don’t use grass as your background

And

- don’t have anything in the Shot That takes your eye off the car.

In the case of a 911 direct front side or rears don’t work, go for three quarter rear or front.
1972 2.4S, since 1988
993 RSR Cup
73 RS Rep Race
2018 GT3RS Lizard
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

I don’t profess to be a good photographer at all - I like to think I have a reasonable eye for a shot but then it’s just point and click!

Personally I’d try and see if you could tag along to a photo shoot and watch a professional shoot a car for a magazine feature. I’ve been on a few in my time and many of those were by Mike Key. I learnt more watching him than any other tutorials etc

Some of the results from Mike Key

1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Mike Key! Now, there's a name from the very past. He was snapping car in the early 70's when I first met him with his black, flamed Model B Ford.

I think the recent pic, by phone, of Mike's CS with the yellow expensive des res house as a backdrop sums up a lot of what people want to see.
Bold and striking, very clear and the best angle for the car.

Appeal in a picture so depends on meeting not just your needs but the attention of a viewer.

Bootsy's 356 above, striking dynamics, colour and you can almost hear it as well as see it. People inside also helps, it give a full picture of the subject.

All my pics look like those for a documentary or I'm selling it, too much engineer, not enough design temperament.

Not my picture but on the public domaine, but a popular pic of the Lola:

Obviously has to be shot by another, but snapping a your car by yourself limits the dynamic of the picture unless you have a special eye, but not mine!

73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi Andy, you have a pm, a couple of basic questions to start......
cheers, Mike.

previously..
1994 968 Club Sport Riviera Blue
1994 993 C2 Carrera Riviera Blue
1972 911S to Martini RSR Prototype Spec
1973 911E to RS Lightweight Specification
1981 924 Carrera GT ex Mexborough car
3.2 Carrera Sport x2
jonno1
I luv DDK!

Post by jonno1 »

Thanks for the compliment!

I use an iphone for all my photos now. With a bit, but not too much, adjustment and use of filters. I think I have an ok eye for composition and colour etc. but it's a lot of trial and error.

I have dabbled with SLRs and expensive compacts (Leica - sold that one!) but I just don't have the patience for them and also appreciate the ease of sharing photos with the iphone. I marvel at some of the photos on here - particularly the "reportage" shots at Goodwood and the like. Mine pale by comparison.

I think reading too many car magazines has probably rubbed off and have also had 3 of my cars professionally photographed and featured in magazines so I was lucky to watch some experts in action - a tiny bit may have rubbed off.

I do vary the height I take them at - snail eye view, kneeling, standing, hands above head etc which is easy to do and creates good effects. And moving the main object around the frame - I rarely take a shot dead on with the car in the middle. Always to one side, higher or lower up etc.

This one is just iphone, one of the myriad filters applied and standing with phone held higher - no real magic.

ImageUntitled by CARMANWAITINGINTHESKY, on Flickr
1958 356A Coupe
987 Gen 2 Boxster
986 2.5 Boxster
Mike

Post by Mike »

At last a decent picture for a thread called Photographing cars, well done jonno1!

The very least you can do to improve your technique to to study the work of others, and one of the very best car photographers around at the moment is our very own Ferry Man.

Follow him here: https://www.instagram.com/three_spoke/?hl=en
cheers, Mike.

previously..
1994 968 Club Sport Riviera Blue
1994 993 C2 Carrera Riviera Blue
1972 911S to Martini RSR Prototype Spec
1973 911E to RS Lightweight Specification
1981 924 Carrera GT ex Mexborough car
3.2 Carrera Sport x2
Nige

Post by Nige »

Posting on the 'Gram is good as the square format/image constraints forces you to consider more carefully how you frame your shots.

Also helps studying the best aesthetic angle a vehicle has, we all know a 911 is best shot from the rear quarter.
mycar

Post by mycar »

That's great, thanks.

Paul's photos here on DDk were something special, but that's something else.
Ferry Man

Post by Ferry Man »

Aaaah, kind words for me. Thanks Mike. And thanks Mike.
It has been a while since I've posted on the forum, but I decided to drop by to check things out and promptly discovered my name mentioned. I shall have to join in again and maybe post some pics (if there are any events to photograph).
Thanks DDK, 'good to be back amongst friends.
Paul

'74 Porsche 911 Carrera 2.7 (MFI) - Lime Green
'94 Porsche 911 Carrera 2 (993) - Mexico Blue
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Welcome home Paul
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
anglophone1
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by anglophone1 »

Good to see you Paul- get across to Rennsport Collective at Stowe House November 1st - should be some nice pix to be had there! Gotta keep those Leicas busy!
C
Clive
West Cork, Ireland

RGruppe #814
1978 SC/1984 3.2 Outlaw -Jaffa 911
1973 914 - on Webers - historic rally car- Tango 914
1977 924 2.0 on Webers street legal race car - Martini 924
Flachbau -in progress
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

:hello2:

- we've missed you Paul !!

:cheers:
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

majordad wrote:Im not a great photographer but for cars two rules i apply are

- don’t use grass as your background

And

- don’t have anything in the Shot That takes your eye off the car.

In the case of a 911 direct front side or rears don’t work, go for three quarter rear or front.
Just for an alternative view some of my favourite shots are side on ;)