Restoration of my 1971 911T Targa

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

Neilnaz
DDK addict

Re: Restoration of my 1971 911T Targa

Post by Neilnaz »

I started the repairs of the rear lights. It went really quite well. I am using a product called Newtech which is a metal filler. It works really well.
Pitting in the rear light assembly body having been filled.
Pitting in the rear light assembly body having been filled.
I have used it to fill some of the pitting and managed to replace the broken piece and fill holes successfully. Once I prime and paint I am confident that the repairs will be invisible.
Almost invisible repair where the hole used to be
Almost invisible repair where the hole used to be
This part had a section of metal that was broken off. I built it up using a piece of offcut plastic held in place and the Newtech metal filler. Once it was dry the plastic just peeled away leaving the metal filler. I have since shaped it and sanded it. This will all be painted up and have the seals so will be invisible but it will be nice to know that it is sound.
Metal filler used to replace the missing metal
Metal filler used to replace the missing metal
Cheers, Neil
Neilnaz
DDK addict

Post by Neilnaz »

This shot is pre-sanding showing the metal filler dried. It is easy to sand and shape.
Pre-sanding metal filler having been applied
Pre-sanding metal filler having been applied
This is another area where metal was missing. I know that the car was in a rear end shunt and had some extensive repairs back in the day. It might well be that the light fittings were damaged but not replaced and what I am dealing with is the aftermath of that. Certainly the assembly on the RHS was buckled and cracked.
Built up of metal section that had disappeared due to corrosion or damage
Built up of metal section that had disappeared due to corrosion or damage
Cheers, Neil
Neilnaz
DDK addict

Post by Neilnaz »

I undertook further repairs on my lights. The holes are pitting are all filled and they are re-shaped and are IMHO looking really good.
72 Rear Light repair extra tab close-up.jpg
The brake/sidelight circuit board has been previously repaired/bodged and needs some attention.
70 Rear Light brake light circuit board.jpg
I have built up metal filler to fill the gaps where metal used to be....
71 Rear Light built metal replacement.jpg
I will repair the circuit board and then finish the metal tab repair which folds over to hold the circuit board in place.

Then it will be primer and paint with silver on the outside and chrome for the reflector area (hopefully that option works ok)....

Cheers, Neil
Neilnaz
DDK addict

Post by Neilnaz »

Finalised repairs and painted the light fittings.
75 Rear Light painted 1.jpg
I had only 1 diffuser (the plastic unit that fits over the hole where American cars have side repeaters) and it was cracked so I had taken the cracked unit into work and measured it up and a colleague created a 3D printed pair of diffusers.

Here is one fitted.
77 Rear Light painted with 3D printed diffuser.jpg
Cheers, Neil
Neilnaz
DDK addict

Post by Neilnaz »

In other news I finished painting and stone-chipping the petrol tank. It looks quite good overall.
74 Petrol Tank painted final.jpg
I also started preparation of and painting of the shock absorbers.
79 Shock absorbers painting 1.jpg
There are not that many more things to prep or paint to get everything ready. I am awaiting the arrival of my H1 reflectors from being re-plated and then, with other spare parts received, I should be able to re-build them shortly.

Cheers, Neil
Gary71
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Gary71 »

Those light housings look good, what chrome paint do you use? My chrome paint came out silver!
Neilnaz
DDK addict

Post by Neilnaz »

Gary it is this stuff bought from my local supplier - it has worked quite well.
This is what I used for the Rear light fittings. I think the finish is reasonable
This is what I used for the Rear light fittings. I think the finish is reasonable
I have just received pictures of my re-finished H1 headlamp reflectors - they look absolutely fantastic especially when you compare before with after
These reflectors didn't look very good to me prior to re-plating
These reflectors didn't look very good to me prior to re-plating
These now look absolutely fantastic - I a really chuffed :)
These now look absolutely fantastic - I a really chuffed :)
Cheers, Neil
Neilnaz
DDK addict

Post by Neilnaz »

Yum, yum, yum :)
84 Reflectors repaired 5.jpg
Very pleased
911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 911hillclimber »

They do look very good, so does that chrome paint!
I ended up painting mine gloss white inside as it looked 'brighter' than the can I used (way back when).

Good progress!
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Neilnaz
DDK addict

Post by Neilnaz »

I moved things slowly forward. I am rewiring the headlights (the extremely short loom connecting the earth and H1s to the H4 connector. I am also cleaning up and painting the headlight cowls before rebuilding the headlight units.
85 Headlight buckets.jpg
86 Headlight wiring.jpg
I have finished painting the rear shock absorbers (although I don't have any photos).

Cheers, Neil
Neilnaz
DDK addict

Post by Neilnaz »

I have painted up the headlight cowls now and am setting up all my components so that I can assemble the headlights. I have ordered some new lenses as mine are from a later 911 with H4 lenses and one has a hole in it which I repaired some time back with clear silicone (it worked quite well and isn't particularly noticeable surprisingly enough. However having through this effort I don't want to put back the wrong lenses and one with a crack in it.
87 Headlight Refurbishment 1.jpg
In addition to that a while ago I did a quick refresh on the headlights and found a missing component which resulted in a lack of adjustment of the headlight.

It is the circled component here (the small metal bracket/plate
91 Headlight adjuster missing.jpg
I had made a copy and used that for quite some time successfully but it is much thinner gauge metal and I will create a better more faithful replica. You can see one original one and a fake here...
90 Headlight component.jpg
Cheers, Neil
Neilnaz
DDK addict

Post by Neilnaz »

I have managed to move things forward a little. One headlight is rebuilt. The other is still on the to do list.

Stage 1:
96 Headlight Rebuild 1.jpg
Stage 2:
97 Headlight Rebuild 2.jpg
Completed:
98 Headlight Rebuild 3.jpg
Rear Lights are completed too. I have decided that I will purchase new rear light lenses as the current ones both have been repaired following crack repairs and they don't look pretty.

Cheers, Neil
rhd racer
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by rhd racer »

Good work

If you haven’t already, it is worth checking fitment of the headlights to the front wings. Those pesky clips are a nightmare, and if in even slightly the wrong position will prevent the unit seating nicely. Ask me how I know! The only pic I could find when doing mine was from a VW resto, that showed the exact position of all the clips
93 964 C2
99 Boxster 2.5 > 2.7 hill climber

71 914/6 3.0 - gone

'You see Paul, hill climbing is like making love to a beautiful woman. You get your motor running, check your fluids, hang on tight and WHOA..30 seconds later it's all over!' Swiss Tony
Neilnaz
DDK addict

Post by Neilnaz »

I have managed to complete the rebuild of one of my headlights. I am really pleased with the outcome. I did have to purchase some flexible shaft to replace the damaged flexis that were on the headlights. I was able to strip the original out, replace the long screws which had damaged heads but keep the original final threaded rod.
99 Headlight Completed 1.jpg
I will use some grease to lubricate each joint but it all works smoothly.
100 Headlight Completed 2.jpg
Cheers, Neil
deano
I luv DDK!

Post by deano »

Another good thread - thanks for sharing Neil ! I might give that metal filler a go on my rear lights. What stone chip did you use on the petrol tank?
Dean
1973T Targa MFI 334 met blu- under restoration https://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewt ... 28&t=67060
1980 924 Turbo, blu/grn tartan - restored