Check your documents carefully...

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

KS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Check your documents carefully...

Post by KS »

Well, that was quite funny – except it could have been serious. Driving into town in my little Renault 4 when in the mirror appears an unmarked BMW lit up like a blue Christmas tree. I move over assuming he wants to go past, but no, it's me he wants... 'What's up?' 'Your car is coming up as uninsured.' 'It's definitely insured...' 'Who with?' 'Ummm, not sure. Hagerty, I think.' Long story short, as I was only about 200 yards from home, said officer of the law – who was very nice and chatty – suggests we drive home so I can dig out the paperwork.

Well, car is insured with A-Plan, but I don't have an up to date certificate showing the UK registration, only one listing the chassis number. The officer of the law was fine about it all, used to own a Porsche 944 and a Lotus Esprit, and suggested I get the insurers to update their record with the registration number otherwise, as he pointed out, even though the vehicle is insured, I'd flag up as uninsured every time I went past a camera!

I call A-Plan and point out what had happened, and asked how come the car wasn't showing on the computer. It turns out that A-Plan had issued the policy with one letter wrong on the numberplate! Of course, I'd never bothered to download the documents, so was totally unaware of the mistake. All sorted now, but might be worth checking your insurance docs carefully...
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Re: Check your documents carefully...

Post by Bootsy »

Should have banged you up with Mr Big on A Wing
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
KS

Post by KS »

I did ask, but computer said no...
Keith Seume
My YouTube channel
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Recently, I was with A Plan and on renewal found that Hagerty actually was the insurance source, so simply went to Hagerty direct and saved £40 by cutting out the middle-man, A Plan...
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
KS

Post by KS »

A-Plan quoted me a better rate on the R4 than Hagerty, who I am with on the 914. Insurance rates remain a mystery...
Keith Seume
My YouTube channel
Bruce M
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Bruce M »

Had the exact same experience.

Admiral got a middle digit in the reg wrong and from a quick glance the paperwork looked fine, when it arrived in the post. Your eye tends to see the start / end of a word & ignores the middle!

Got pulled. Discussed with officer. Given 7 day notice. Sorted reg error but Admiral would not back date the new certificate of insurance under any circumstances what so ever!
Presented docs at police station and was told I would have been hit with the penalty except I had the original wrong reg certificate and the reg was for a completely different car.
early_911
DDK forever

Post by early_911 »

Hi ya'll
You can check whether your vehicle is properly insured by visiting https://ownvehicle.askmid.com/
Phil
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

In the company car days I was given a BMW that someone else had had for a year when they left the company. When I had to get something done on it I had issues with the reg. I used what the no plate said. It turned out that whoever made the plates had transposed two digits!
Graham
dean1057
DDK forever

Post by dean1057 »

Probably seen you doing the shopping without a mask :lol:
964 C4 1990, Metallic Black
3.0SC 1978 Targa Imported from California, Guards Red
3.2 RS Replica, 1984 GP White & Blue
997 gen 2 Gt3, 2010 Aqua Blue
996TT Riveria Blue.....sold to Geebee but not forgotten
and a few Motorbikes!!!!