What if Goodwood Members Meeting is cancelled due to Corona?

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: What if Goodwood Members Meeting is cancelled due to Cor

Post by 911hillclimber »

Just arrived:

Motorsport UK COVID-19 Update

It is with regret that Motorsport UK is suspending all organising permits and Certificates of Exemption until at least 30th April 2020. This suspension follows the latest guidance issued by HM UK Government in response to the outbreak of COVID-19. This position will be constantly reviewed given prevailing information.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
KS

Post by KS »

So ironic after I'd applied for my first competition licence since 1996...
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
simon james
DDK slapper chatter

Post by simon james »

I suppose we could organise small local meet ups? Just trying to make the best out of a bad situation.
It doesn't matter if you speak your mind, because those that matter don't mind and those that mind don't matter.......!
Lusting after a 30/98, will settle for a 23/60.
KS

Post by KS »

That's going to be the future for the time being: group of mate meet for a convoy drive somewhere, until it's clamped down on, like in France.

https://www.facebook.com/10001166703734 ... 405520584/
:cry:
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
Sam

Post by Sam »

I reckon we could escape that van in our whizz-bang sports cars.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
sisu
DDK forever

Post by sisu »

Well this is a very interesting time to look at culturally who we are and how we face this where ever you are in the world. The idea that your government (chose your country) tells you to stop interacting and travelling for a few weeks will be seen as either a blessing or a curse.
This is a tense time for business relationships, elasisticty is not always happening on either side. Do you cash out and burn the relationship or weather it and hope to pick up later next month.
Do I really need to hang out at a car meet over the next couple of months well that is up to you.

This is not a good time to be selling a car either
Scene tax
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

It is just part of a year or maybe the whole of it.
ALL the car stuff is irrelevant unless you make them, make bits, sell them etc. So we have nowhere to drive to to 'hang-out', not really a big deal.
You can still drive to your fav place in the UK in your '911', take in the scenery and have a long weekend in a country retreat or pub. Just don't interact with people except the one you are with.
It will all come back round and things will be much the same, some businesses will not return, some people will not be the same, but the majority will come back.

Heads down into the trenches and work it through, the country and the people have seen lots of bad times, 3 day weeks, strikes, recessions and the odd virus many have forgotten about.
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
anglophone1
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by anglophone1 »

911hillclimber wrote:It is just part of a year or maybe the whole of it.
ALL the car stuff is irrelevant unless you make them, make bits, sell them etc. So we have nowhere to drive to to 'hang-out', not really a big deal.
You can still drive to your fav place in the UK in your '911', take in the scenery and have a long weekend in a country retreat or pub. Just don't interact with people except the one you are with.
It will all come back round and things will be much the same, some businesses will not return, some people will not be the same, but the majority will come back.

Heads down into the trenches and work it through, the country and the people have seen lots of bad times, 3 day weeks, strikes, recessions and the odd virus many have forgotten about.
Well said Graham- however, clearly the Duke of Richmond was not primarily thinking of his members health- unlike the Football League!
Clive
West Cork, Ireland

RGruppe #814
1978 SC/1984 3.2 Outlaw -Jaffa 911
1973 914 - on Webers - historic rally car- Tango 914
1977 924 2.0 on Webers street legal race car - Martini 924
Flachbau -in progress
anglophone1
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by anglophone1 »

Subject: 78th Members’ Meeting postponed
Reply-To: Members' Meeting <re-4S6T-BB0V-HS3I9-C0YOB@goodwoodmail.com>

Important event update

In 2014, after a hiatus of 48 years, Goodwood staged the 72nd Members’ Meeting, successfully reviving a series that began back in 1949. In 2018, the 76th Members’ Meeting raced on through the Beast from the East, while other events succumbed to the freezing conditions.

We had hoped that by following UK Government advice and implementing a number of additional safety and hygiene protocols, we could all ‘Keep Calm and Carry On’ as coronavirus threatened the 78th Members’ Meeting. Alas, with the situation constantly evolving, and the news that the UK Government will no longer offer emergency support to mass gatherings this isn’t possible; the safety and wellbeing of our customers remains our highest priority. As such, we regret to inform you that the 78th Members’ Meeting, which was due to take place on March 28-29, has been postponed.

We are currently exploring potential alternative dates with all relevant parties and I would like to reassure you that your tickets will remain valid for the new date.

Goodwood has always relied on the support of the Goodwood Road Racing Club since the very beginning and I would like to thank you in advance for your understanding and patience during these challenging times. Rest assured that we will update you with an alternative date as soon as we can and I look forward to a time in the not-so-distant future when we can once more come together to celebrate everything we love about motorsport.

We will continue to review plans for the Festival of Speed and Revival, in the hope that both events will be able to go ahead as planned on July 9-12 and September 11-13 respectively, as well as looking forward to the rescheduled 78th Members’ Meeting.

In the meantime, if you have any other further questions, please visit our website for coronavirus FAQs.

The Duke of Richmond and Gordon

FAQs

© 2020 The Goodwood Estate Company Limited. Registered at Goodwood House, Chichester, West Sussex, PO18 0PX. Registered in England No. 553452.
View email in browser
Unsubscribe
Clive
West Cork, Ireland

RGruppe #814
1978 SC/1984 3.2 Outlaw -Jaffa 911
1973 914 - on Webers - historic rally car- Tango 914
1977 924 2.0 on Webers street legal race car - Martini 924
Flachbau -in progress
Barry

Post by Barry »

911hillclimber wrote:It is just part of a year or maybe the whole of it.

Totally agree Graham, well said. Oh except for the pub bit: not for now anyway it seems. But the principle? Absolutely.

This is a good time to appreciate just how privileged and settled we normally are in the U.K. What's having just one year of doing things differently? Ultimately things will settle to a new normal: the papers will gradually find other story's to over-inflate*, vaccines will be found, treatment will be improved as will herd immunity. I'm thinking of all the things I can still do: get in the kayak, walk the dog, catch up in the garden, Skype as much as I want. Have a beer in the sun. Whilst there's work there I can go to work. If that stops, well, we'll cross that bridge at the time.

*Headlines would have you believe the UK death rate is about to double or triple. Taking the current estimated range of potential Covid victims, 20-50k, would be under 5-10% of normal rates. Graphs of 'normal' deaths will be almost identical to the Covid ones: exponentially increaasing with age and those with underlying heath issues. It's serious, serious enough for it to be completely right and justified to stop unnecessary social contact, but it would be nice to put the headline figures into context (Hello BBC, can you hear me? :roll: ). The biggest risk isn't directly from the virus: mentally I can cope with that, what scares the s**t out of me is people being driven by blind panic. Those that are running on false / misleading or inflated information. It's the fear of the unknown: such a powerful force.
DDK Member1243 07741 273865. Now booking Spring '24. Home of the RY Austin 7 Trophy's
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Wise words Barry
I do wonder how different our current experience would be if Social Media and the constant stream of news for the sake of it wasn't so prevalent.
I saw an interview with a woman last night talking about her experience of having Covid-19 only for it to be introduced as an interview with a woman who isn't sure she has it but think she has had some of the symptoms and they weren't too bad - what the was the point in that except giving her 5 minutes of fame.
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

A truthful, balanced evaluation is needed and at times the Medical guy on the podium gives just that.
The other day:
42,000 tested (who thought they were infected, dial 111, go to a test centre) 41,000 were negative. That is a fact (because I trust him), and he seems not to be a liar!

The economic deal stated so well yesterday seems to be a powerful starting action. 3 months mortgage holiday if required etc and a huge cost.
How much did it cost to calm the 2009 Bank Crisis? That episode seems very distant, and 2020 will be another year of abrupt change in the history books, just as that was.

Like many, we here have a list of good things to get done whilst in the trench.
Garden: it doesn't know what's coming.
Finish my model aeroplane, I was in short trousers last time I glued balsa together, great little project and not all smooth going.
General clear out of all old household documents, cover notes from 2012 etc all to be burnt.
Wax the fleet, the road cars need it!
Get better on the guitar, that has taken 50 years of my life so far (I'm crap, not a natural), lots more to learn. A Challenge.
Get out on my nice pedal bike. A challenge to my joints, but take a camera!
Get those French motorcycles going again.

It goes on.
Lots of interesting things for me to do and the wife will be chuffed with #1 maybe less so with the rest.... :)
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Sam

Post by Sam »

So can we all now agree that eating dead animals is a silly idea?

No one ever got a corona virus from hummus.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Yes, especially Pangolin and Bats
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
Barry

Post by Barry »

Roving reporter report: my road's very quiet. Not deserted but the gaps between the lumps of traffic are definitely longer than last week.

My insurance broker is one of 60-70 in the office. As of Monday she'll be half of the office staff: her on one floor, someome on the floor above. Rest working from home.

My brother works for Ubisoft, Toronto: support / IT staff are staying in the buildings, but around the world Ubisoft have sent 10,000 people home to work from there, including David.

In reference to above interview, here's a cracking bit of context: a claim coronavirus has saved more lives than it's taken by means of pollution reduction:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffmcmaho ... b5b43234fe
DDK Member1243 07741 273865. Now booking Spring '24. Home of the RY Austin 7 Trophy's