Kardex

Well don't be shy let us know about yourselves

Moderator: Miggs

Nashman
DDK Fanatic

Kardex

Post by Nashman »

Hi, Could someone please advise who I can contact to get a Kardex on my car please....119300908? Many thanks Matthew
Winston Teague
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Re: Kardex

Post by Winston Teague »

Welcome Nashman, i can't answer your question i'm afraid, but i suspect you have an interesting car there, how about some pictures and some introductory words? :wink: :wink: :wink: The picture posting challenge is your initiation! W
Winston
'61 356 BT5 & a lot of broken chain driven stuff
neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by neilbardsley »

What car do you have? Pls give some more information and I'm sure we can point you in the right direction? A small introduction never hurts before asking for help?
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
DEEMAN
DDK forever

Post by DEEMAN »

Welcome Matthew, I stand to be corrected but I don't think the Kardex are available for post 67/8 cars. The system changed. 'davep' on here is your best bet - ask him.
Looks like a 69 S by the number. 909 and 910 are listed on the Early S Registry roster and most cars around this number are S Coupes.

Where are you? And yes, pictures always welcome.

Ian
Nashman
DDK Fanatic

Post by Nashman »

I have very recently acquired a RHD 1969 911S VIN 119300908 and have now managed to get the Kardex details.

I am a new to DDK, and indeed Porsche ownership. I have some pre-war stuff and do some (very) amateur competition in sprints, hillclimbs and the odd race. I already have too many cars but this was one I simply couldn't resist.

The car was sold through Porsche GB and delivered to Southern Ireland around March ’69. Its first owner was a guy called Cecil Vard (a wealthy furrier) who had competed in the Monte in the ‘50s and also raced a Frazer-Nash at Le Mans in ’54 – perhaps he had and developed his connection with AFN - Porsche GB over the years.

He entered and ran the car in the Circuit of Ireland Rally in 1971 of which there are some images and video on Youtube on a piece called ‘A Dash of the Irish’ – a 25 minute film – the Porsche featured - especially at around the 19 minute mark - being followed and commented on by Paddy Hopkirk. He also did the Galway Rally and possibly others – more research to follow there. The Circuit of Ireland has International status so its 8th place result is on the WRC Rally website. Co-driver was Paul Phelan.

I guess that about this time it needed a new engine. The engine fitted is a continuation number 6392129 so very late indeed and therefore I believe a factory supplied replacement. It is a 901/10 type but has no build number which would indicate a later construction. The gearbox has a LSD and is a 901/84 Neuburgring type - number 7394005. I guess this was a factory special order as they only appeared to supply 9 boxes in total of this type.

The car was sold in the early 1970s and then again to its last owner in 1977 – I am its fourth owner. The last guy owned a body shop and there are photos of it in various guises…His last work turned it into a 964 lookalike, with flared guards, later seats, centre console and massive wheels. The shell is original and it retains most of the original equipment which the Kardex lists as

Bahama Yellow – now blue
Tinted glass all round
Rear Wiper (not fitted but in a box)
Recaro sports seats in black leatherette - replaced
Sunroof
Yellow Quartz front foglights – long gone
Radio fit
100 litre tank
Rear tow hitch ??
LSD
Part bag on rear wall (whatever that is)

The current plan once I have smoked it around for a while is to strip it and give the shell to one of the top two-litre people in the UK to put back as it should be.

If anyone knows more of its early comp history that would be good. Also what a ‘Part bag on the rear wall’ looks like and ditto the rear tow hitch.

Herewith a couple of before pictures and what it looks like today.

Lots to do and I will be back for sure to ask for help with the small details. My intention is to put it back to exactly how it left the works…

Matthew
Attachments
tn_6 a.jpg
tn_2.jpg
tn_1.jpg
Nashman
DDK Fanatic

Post by Nashman »

And some pictures of what it looks like today - as you can see...work to do....
Attachments
tn_DSC01668.JPG
tn_DSC01660.JPG
tn_DSC01658.JPG
DEEMAN
DDK forever

Post by DEEMAN »

Good to see all your post info. Nice car to have. Looks good in its 964 trim I must say but I reckon you are doing the right thing long term. Good to hear that '69 Kardex are available too - that surprised me.
A rare bird indeed and something to be valued with all that provenance.
I did see a bit on it in another post where it was on film but didn't connect.

Ian
TimB
DDK slapper chatter

Post by TimB »

Matthew

Sounds like a great project and it is fantastic that you are doing all the detailed research. At least it has retained its distinctive registration; interesting to see that on the head on period colour photo it appears to have LHD early H1 lenses yet a RHD car, might suggest continental competition?

Good luck with it all.
Tim
Nine One One

Post by Nine One One »

More pictures here, from an earlier thread.

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65418&hilit=Paddy+Hopkirk
911S Ecosse
DDK Newbie

Post by 911S Ecosse »

Good to here another 69 S has surfaced and will be put back to original.
Ian the post writer above originally owned my car and laid it up in 1979 then sold it to me 2012 and I am now near completion of the resto.
Labour of love and money but should be worth it in the end.
Interested as to how or who you attained the Kardex from as like Ian said we did not know they were available.

Good luck with the original backdate

Graeme
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Matthew

Congratulations on your purchase, certainly WZO is a significant 911 in Irish Rallying history.

You might try and get a copy of this book, but it is out of print and hard to get !!

Here are the International results and a pic you may not have seen

I understand the car may have further competition history in later years but you would need to contact some of the guys in the Southern Ireland scene to get further details, there are some around here and they may drop by.

Paul Phelan is still around, and while he may not be of great assistance with the car details, he would certainly know if Vard did any events outside those listed in the book, try contacting him via the Trial Driver’s Club or Motorsport Ireland.

Good luck with the restoration

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cheers

Mike

RS Rep 3.0 on Webers
Nashman
DDK Fanatic

Post by Nashman »

Thanks one and all...that is so useful. I have now joined DDK - well, paid my dues anyway and am simply going to get the car back on the road and run it for a bit. Brakes are all seized but that's about it.

I attach a photo of the cardex and the gearbox number - I got the type wrong as it is obscured by some black goo - I simply took loads of pictures with my phone underneath till I got them all in. Very interesting to see the options list for the sports options. I hope to go and see if the Frazer Nash archives have any references to the car and Cecil Vard as they hold the old AFN records which might reach as far as the late '60s....worth a shot.

If anyone has a spare copy of The Porsche 911 in Irish Rallying by Mike Copeland I am definately in the market for one of those. I have found a way to contact Paul Phelan who was the navigator in '71 so hopefully he will have some (happy) memories too.

I will be back asking lots of silly questions as and when I get my teeth into the car.
Attachments
tn_IMG_20190926_202436.jpg
tn_Gbox.jpg
davep
I luv DDK!

Post by davep »

Kardex from the early 356 through end of 1969 are available if you contact me.
Porsche historian & researcher, contact me for Kardex through 1969 model year.
Addicted since 1975
Nashman
DDK Fanatic

Post by Nashman »

Had a very interesting chat with Paul Phelan who remembered that a guy called John Breach prepared the car, and did some events after he had stopped navigating. Anyone come across him.

Paul also navigated in the Limmerick rally in 1972 where they came 5th or 6th. They had a 'battle with Poole in his 911 but got him in the end'.....if someone has the Irish Rallying book, perhaps there is a mention of Poole in this - be interesting to see which car he was in. He also used WZO in some hillclimbs apparently.

Cheers

Matthew
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Matthew

The book only concentrated on the International status Irish events, so the likes of the Limerick Rally do not get mentioned, Alec Poole is still about I believe.

Copies of Mark’s book are very hard to come by, so hope you are lucky enough to find one. Another person to contact would be Esler Crawford, a photographer of note, who will probably have more period pics
Cheers

Mike

RS Rep 3.0 on Webers