rear light box removal Q.

Need some help with a technical problem - ask away and let's see if we can all help.

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Nige

scalino65
DDK rules my life!

rear light box removal Q.

Post by scalino65 »

Hi. I'm having trouble getting my rear light boxes out. I've taken out the two screws in teh body of the box and the rubber draining tube. However, it wont budge. Is there something that I've missed, like some other screw or something. I cant see anything else, so maybe its just stuck? Any ideas? cheers chaps. Will
scalino65
DDK rules my life!

Re: rear light box removal Q.

Post by scalino65 »

Right, I've managed to get them out-next question, how do you go abut disconnecting the wires for the lights?
inaglasshouse
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by inaglasshouse »

What year of car is this?
If 69-73 you have two options:
1) Remove the two screws from the rear cover plate of the light unit, and remove the plate. You can then access the spade connectors for each bulb.
or
2) Check out where the multi pin round connector comes in through the inner wing, near the back of the engine bay. Unplug the male connector from inside the engine bay, then pull / push the female connector through the wing (outwards from the engine bay). Disconnect an earth lead (both sides) and the connection to the oil tank level sender (RH side) et voila: you have a light unit with its entire little wiring loom in your hand.

1) is potentially no fun when the retaining screws won't come undone (corrosion)
2) is potentially no fun because the female connector is a PITA to get back through the wing

911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 911hillclimber »

Option 2 is the best, as you need to do a bit de-corroding everywhere.
Did all this 6 months ago.
Warm the loom connection and a smear of valelene and a few swear words later all is done.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
scalino65
DDK rules my life!

Post by scalino65 »

Many thanks chaps. Option 2 it was.cheers. Will