964 turbo power steering check

Need some help with a technical problem - ask away and let's see if we can all help.

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Nige

takeflight
DDK above all

964 turbo power steering check

Post by takeflight »

Wonder if anyone can help 1991 964 turbo, the book says check fluid in the transparent reservoir is between the two marks with engine idling.

The only problem is mine is black non transparent with from what I can see one arrow pointing down.
With the filler cap tucked well under the wing the only possible way of seeing anything is with a mirror with the cap off.

Any ideas welcome

Roy
jevvy
DDK Seasoned Poster

Re: 964 turbo power steering check

Post by jevvy »

Cut a strip of clean white paper / card, hold it next to the reservoir and mark the level of the top and bottom marks and also the level of the reservoir. Dip it into the reservoir until the top mark is level with the top of the reservoir then pull it out to see where the dirty oil mark is compared to the top and bottom marks you made.

Basically make a paper dip-stick ;)

If its low make sure you do a bit of reading about which fluid to top it up with, can be some issues with compatibility depending on whats already in there
takeflight
DDK above all

Post by takeflight »

jevvy wrote:Cut a strip of clean white paper / card, hold it next to the reservoir and mark the level of the top and bottom marks and also the level of the reservoir. Dip it into the reservoir until the top mark is level with the top of the reservoir then pull it out to see where the dirty oil mark is compared to the top and bottom marks you made.

Basically make a paper dip-stick ;)

If its low make sure you do a bit of reading about which fluid to top it up with, can be some issues with compatibility depending on whats already in there
Thanks will have a go in the morning.
takeflight
DDK above all

Post by takeflight »

Doh !
Rushing to much, the online manual and owners stated transparent reservoir, so being a bit on the slow side and in a rush when I seen a black one I shut the lid and thought I would sort out later. Well sitting down now with a cup of tea, of course there will be a dip stick !

Think it’s me who’s the dipstick !