Three Five Six - Ideas in Motion

Replica owners or enthusiasts are very welcome

Moderator: Bootsy

porschewagen
DDK Seasoned Poster

Re: Three Five Six - Ideas in Motion

Post by porschewagen »

I originally had my car on 17” rims with low profile tyres and dropped spindles and a lowered narrow front beam. That put me well below the 500mm min headlight height rule so I did something radically conservative by replacing the spindles with standard ones and fitting steel 15” wheels with 265/80 tyres (read: original 356 tyre size). To be honest I’m glad to say I actually prefer the look!

In still not sure about the narrowed beam as the turning circle seems appalling (can’t verify until the car is driveable).

Yes on the side repeaters, I can only describe them as thigh high, but they don’t look “wrong” as they are very small and almost blend in.
porschewagen
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by porschewagen »

Sorry typo! Tyres are 165/80s. It’d be a tractor otherwise!

My car came from Gary In April 2017 after a previous client of his gave up on it. That said, at the time not much had been done beyond getting it to rolling shell state. Naively I thought I’d have it on the road by summer 2018. At Christmas I thought I’d have it on the road this summer. Now I’m not so sure . My build is a rollercoaster of highs and lows all the way but I will get there in the end even if I end up calling in professional help. The biggest low was last year’s government proposal to restrict emissions on kit cars. That nearly did it for me as I am using the donor car’s 1600 twin port engine. Thankfully they’re leaving us alone for now but for how long who knows!
Richardab1967
DDK Fanatic

Post by Richardab1967 »

AccidentalGenius wrote: We have spoken about the IVA quite a bit on here, does anyone have a target month for it? Also is there any concern about changes to the standard in the short to medium term???
Mines been 5 years so far since i started the chassis build, 2 years since i picked body up from gary. Its 100% diy build though. I set a target to ‘drive’ it before end of last year which i did just (the bare minimum to classify as driving, no lights, no glass, no interior, no shocks, LOL). My target now is iva before end of this year.
AccidentalGenius
DDK Fanatic

Post by AccidentalGenius »

porschewagen wrote:Sorry typo! Tyres are 165/80s. It’d be a tractor otherwise!

My car came from Gary In April 2017 after a previous client of his gave up on it. That said, at the time not much had been done beyond getting it to rolling shell state. Naively I thought I’d have it on the road by summer 2018. At Christmas I thought I’d have it on the road this summer. Now I’m not so sure Image. My build is a rollercoaster of highs and lows all the way but I will get there in the end even if I end up calling in professional help. The biggest low was last year’s government proposal to restrict emissions on kit cars. That nearly did it for me as I am using the donor car’s 1600 twin port engine. Thankfully they’re leaving us alone for now but for how long who knows!
I had always set what i thought to be a sensible timeframe - being this summer - but i am now thinking that is more than unlikely!

If i can get the car tested and legal this year then that needs to be a minimum target for me. I can then strip it down and rebuild and refit the final look ready for next year.

Like you, i worry about changes in testing legislation so think the sooner it can be tested the better... last thing we need is some new law that makes it impossible to complete!
Pre-a 356 Coupe (Speedster Clinic Replica)
AccidentalGenius
DDK Fanatic

Richardab1967 wrote:
AccidentalGenius wrote: We have spoken about the IVA quite a bit on here, does anyone have a target month for it? Also is there any concern about changes to the standard in the short to medium term???
Mines been 5 years so far since i started the chassis build, 2 years since i picked body up from gary. Its 100% diy build though. I set a target to ‘drive’ it before end of last year which i did just (the bare minimum to classify as driving, no lights, no glass, no interior, no shocks, LOL). My target now is iva before end of this year.
Looks like we are on the same sort of timeline Richard... Have you thought about where you are going to get the IVA done? I understand there are the main testing centres and some much smaller/independent places that can carry out the test also. I have been recommended to get my IVA done at a specific place that deals with import cars. Do you know anything about this sort of detail?
Richardab1967
DDK Fanatic

Post by Richardab1967 »

Southampton is by far my nearest, so i will likely go there. I have heard mixed reports about it. Do double check the smaller independent centres, the ones nearest me don't test the M1 category which is what we need. I did wonder about taking mine to Bournemouth as thats where I assume all the Chesils are tested, so they would know what they are looking at....but maybe thats a bad thing!
AccidentalGenius wrote: Looks like we are on the same sort of timeline Richard... Have you thought about where you are going to get the IVA done? I understand there are the main testing centres and some much smaller/independent places that can carry out the test also. I have been recommended to get my IVA done at a specific place that deals with import cars. Do you know anything about this sort of detail?
AccidentalGenius
DDK Fanatic

OK, just baby steps this week.

I ordered the engine tin wear and a 2QT deep sump for my 1776. I have contacted a local bodyshop with a view to getting the tin wear painted 'properly' and i have messaged Ian Clark at Wolfsburg to see if he is interested in building the engine for me. I had initially spoken to Stef at Ace Engines but he is literally on his way to the US so that was a no go - He gave me some great pointers tho, seems like a really nice bloke!

I want, no need, to get the engine build underway soon so hopefully i will be able to line everything up accordingly.

Hope you all have something lined up for the weekend to keep your projects moving forward?!
AccidentalGenius
DDK Fanatic

Just bought a little treat for the car today...

I am spending far too muck time thinking about colours, styles and finishing touches for something that still has some way to go before i need to implement any of it, however i just feel that if i can get my head around the final look it will make all other decisions far easier!

As always, happy to get your thoughts/feedback on this...
greg356a
I luv DDK!

Post by greg356a »

Nice badge.
Really think its the hardest part of the build deciding on colours and a theme, trying to be innovative and different adds a whole new dimension. I have been building for over five years and still cant finally decide on colour! Likely to be Audi Nardo grey, Porsche graphite blue but red and silver look great and of course black! Still its great fun dreaming. What ever you decide I am sure it will look great!
1963 Karmann Ghia
1959 356A Coupe Outlaw
1957 3.2 Speedster replica
AccidentalGenius
DDK Fanatic

greg356a wrote:Nice badge.
Really think its the hardest part of the build deciding on colours and a theme, trying to be innovative and different adds a whole new dimension. I have been building for over five years and still cant finally decide on colour! Likely to be Audi Nardo grey, Porsche graphite blue but red and silver look great and of course black! Still its great fun dreaming. What ever you decide I am sure it will look great!
Nardo grey is beautiful isnt it, i have been a fan of that colour for some time now. You could also consider Porsche Classic Grey if you wanted to 'keep it Porsche' and still have a really nice grey (albeit with quite a bit of blue in it).

decisions, decisions...
porschewagen
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by porschewagen »

I’m not even giving any thought to the “finished article” until after I’m through the IVA. Once I’m road legal I’m looking forward to the fun part - fitting all the bits I’m holding off fitting now (bonnet handle, badges & scripts, bumpers, bumper trims, side deco trims, mirrors, horn grilles, engine grille, rear reflectors, Nardi steering wheel, even seats!)
AccidentalGenius
DDK Fanatic

I have now dropped all of my engine parts off with my chosen engine builder (and ordered some new parts where needed) and i am now waiting for the finished article - should be ready by the end of June.

I decided to treat myself to a gorgeous 356-style oil filter that i got from Sierra Maidra in the US. It arrived in 3-days, which i still find crazy, and it looks amazing! I am so pleased i bought it eventho it was rather expensive.

The tinwear will all be powder coated in gloss black so it will look basic but should pump out about 100bhp from what i am being told.

No more movement as yet but i will book a visit to SpeedsterClinic soon and get some up to date pictures to share.
AccidentalGenius
DDK Fanatic

OK, engine update.

I found out today that my engine is all ready for final build, and i will be able to collect it at the end of next week.

Everything has been balanced, the tin wear is powder coated and there has been several mock-ups which have led to adjustments and modifications prior to the final build.

I can confirm the following things that came up in conversation with the engine builder last week;
- The CB Performance deep sump i bought was not of great quality so that has been replaced with something with a bit more metal on it where the sump bolts to the case.
- The case now has stainless studs in the oil pump
- All the usual full flow mods are done, inc. both case and pump blocked, not just pump.
- Step-bore machining is complete for bigger barrels (1776) to leave as much metal in the case as possible.
- Case savers are spot faced.

I cant wait to see and hear the engine running, let along get it in the car!!!

I will upload some images / videos when i get them
AccidentalGenius
DDK Fanatic

Here, in just a few short pictures, is my engine build...

There is still a few things to do, and some of the parts on it at the moment are temporary as we had some issues with a few fo the aftermarket parts i bought, but i am really happy with it so far and very excited to see, hear and of course drive it!!!
AccidentalGenius
DDK Fanatic

Quick update...

The engine is now back with me, and looking fantastic! I cannot wait to get it in the car.

I have just ordered an external oil cooler (with fan) from Limebug and a thermo-switch. I recently had the pleasure of driving a replica 356 for the weekend and it was a lot of fun - the thing that became clear very quickly is that the fun is quickly squashed when you end up staring at the oil temperature gauge!!! I had originally thought i would fit the engine and see how i get on before adding an external cooler but based on this albeit brief experience i have decided to add the cooler on day one.