Fuel map for type 4 engine

For all you Porsche 914 fanatics!

Moderators: drummerboytom, MdR

rft218
DDK slapper chatter

Fuel map for type 4 engine

Post by rft218 »

Hi All,

I guess that someone might have done something similar on here and might be able to help me.

I have a 2.4 Type 4 with 1800cc heads and Scat C35 cam. It is set up to be torquey and not a screamer as it is in a Beetle Trials car.

I have decided to move to throttle bodies and crank fire ignition to try to maximise the torque across the range. So all installed, CBR throttle bodies, Zetec coil, used my red top fuel pump, swirl pot then high pressure pump and regulator (3 bar).

I have spark and fuel and created a basic ignition map following something like the profile of a 009. BUT I cant get it to start. I am using an EMU classic ECU as recommended by my local tuning guys. The setup is Zetec coil, so wasted spark, and have checked the timing using the timing light on 1 & 2 (firing at 10 degree BTDC and 10 B Opposite TDC), so I think that is ok.

I spent the afternoon with a guy from the garage and we think it is overfueling, it nearly fires but lots of backfiring and when I take out the plugs they are wet.

The injectors are 260cc and using TPS rather than MAP

I would be very grateful if anyone has got a fuel (and ignition map if poss) for a type 4 engine that might get me started?

Thanks

Roger
smallspeed
I used to have a life, then came DDK

Re: Fuel map for type 4 engine

Post by smallspeed »

I have a friend with a fairy well dialed in 2056 but different coils, injectors etc
I can get his info for you but you’re probably better off turning down the fuel and working on your own map vs trying to start with someone else’s and adjust it to suit your setup
Do you have some sensible baseline numbers?
There is some good info in the megasquirt and msextra manuals on setting up..
camperco
DDK rules my life!

Post by camperco »

I would re-check the timing, could be 180 out.
Angus Watt http://www.greatworthclassics.co.uk

Greatworth Classics & VW Camper Company

Its a feature - not a fault sir..
shambly
DDK slapper chatter

Post by shambly »

From my EFI blog... which might be relevant...

An important note is that most ECUs assume 1&4 and 3&2 cylinders fire together (1 3 4 2 firing order) whereas our VWs fire 1&3 and 4&2 (1 4 3 2 order). So leads 3 and 4 must be swapped between coil and spark plugs on our engines.

Simon
rft218
DDK slapper chatter

Post by rft218 »

Thanks all.

I will double check the timing, but did work out the lead order to 'convert' from Ford firing order to Zetec.

I dont really have anything to go on hence the call for a map but as a plan B once I have checked timing again will dial down the fuel and keep moving it up. Will check megasquirt manuals for some tips. Smallspeed - if your friend does have a map it would be a help I think if I know what the injectors and pressure are.

Once I have it running the guys will rolling road it and set it up properly,

Thanks - will post an update on progress

Roger