Flares....

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

Lightweight_911
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Flares....

Post by Lightweight_911 »

I'd be interested to know what the date code is Jon ...

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
Guy
Married to the DDK

Post by Guy »

Jon's '76 C3 is fitted with a later interior and the steering wheel has also obviously been changed.

As you say Andy the original wheel was discontinued in early 1975.
1977 Carrera 3.0
1974 Carrera 2.7 in bits.
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

Andy & Guy,

Thank you for your input, that's really helpful :thumbright: ......

....so the hunt begins for a nice 74 or early 75 original steering wheel.....just as well I have some time!

Cheers,
DustyM
I need to get out more!

Post by DustyM »

Lightweight_911 wrote:.
I'd be interested to know what the date code is Jon ...

No date stamp that I can find Andy. Where would it be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

Nice wheel Jon, want to sell it? :)
Guy
Married to the DDK

Post by Guy »

Jon, date stamp is on the hub around the outside of the splines. Should be year (3,4 or 5) followed by week number.
1977 Carrera 3.0
1974 Carrera 2.7 in bits.
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

Jon - if you look down through the rectangular hole you should see the date code (although the stamping is often faint).

Here's an example (4 38 = Oct '74):

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
DustyM
I need to get out more!

Flares....

Post by DustyM »

Guy wrote:Jon, date stamp is on the hub around the outside of the splines. Should be year (3,4 or 5) followed by week number.
Thanks Guy, looks like 350 so Dec ‘73.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

Darren65 wrote:Nice wheel Jon, want to sell it? :)
.....or maybe do a swap? :wink: .....

markm
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by markm »

Darren65 wrote:
Darren65 wrote:Nice wheel Jon, want to sell it? :)
.....or maybe do a swap? :wink: .....

I think you need to see a doctor for that addiction
72 2.4s
96 993 RS
Series 1 DDK membership card
jtparr
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by jtparr »

Lightweight_911 wrote:.
Jon - if you look down through the rectangular hole you should see the date code (although the stamping is often faint).

Here's an example (4 38 = Oct '74):

SNAP..!...4/38....thats there same as mine... :lol: ...for the car with November 21st build date
1974 2.7 Carrera
(full restoration. now as an RS Touring)
1963 3.8 E Type
( 11 years in the making…………………….)
1952. XK120…the next one ……….……..)
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

I've been told I'm a little bit nuts and have been questioned why I would want to take on this build.

My wife certainly thinks I'm crazy and cannot understand why I would want to put myself through so much angst again after the pain I experienced with my previous restorations; she obviously doesn't realise that the trials, tribulations and setbacks are all part of the fun!......she also complained that there were many jobs needed around the house that another project would banish to the back burner, therefore for the sake of equilibrium I promised that this resto would not start until her list of necessary tasks were completed first.......a schoolboy error on my part as Barry Carter currently has a very short waiting list and this build could have already started in earnest! :?

I also have to admit that this build does fill me with a certain trepidation.....it's a big project and one that will take a lot of resolve if I am to do the build justice......my Mongrel was also fairly complex however I walked into that with no real expectations and a certain blind naivety, I was fortunate that all went fairly seamlessly........this time I know what I'm taking on and the big ticket items on my shopping list include correct RSR front and rear arches, fibreglass RS front and rear bumpers and boot lid, a Group 4(?) large Whale Tail, a new roof, 8" & 9" Fuchs, correct sports seats, slide injection throttle bodies, an RS spec MFI pump, 917 brakes and much, much more......it's enough to make you wince and heaven knows how I'll manage without selling a car......still, I'll work as hard as I can, take one step at a time and it may well be that a 25% pension payout in 18 months time will save the day!

My resolve was tested further in the past week when I was offered the perfect SWB project....a 68 LHD 911 sunroof Coupe without engine or interior, exactly what I had in mind and a very solid car too at a fair price.....I was told it's the easiest decision I'll ever make, sell the C3 and build the SWB I've always promised myself. I certainly have a very clear vision of the SWB I desire and with an engine and many other parts already in hand it would be the safe choice for sure!........after much deliberation and soul searching I decided to continue with the RS, the reasoning being that if I did change course I'd probably never build or own a wide bodied car and that could be something I'd always regret........a SWB on the other hand will be part of my life someday and in several years time when the cars have to be sold and I'm left with one last toy I think it might well be a Black SWB Coupe with a 2.2S MFI engine. Time will tell.

In one last ditch to cling on to all my dreams I did suggest to my wife that we raid the savings and buy the SWB to store for a later date......now she's a bright lady and although she understands the offside rule perfectly she's never quite got to grips with the term 'investment' :roll: ......the purchase price of the SWB project may be sensible but the subsequent cost of divorce will have proved too costly! :? ....

....decision made.....the 3.0RS plan continues, the SWB dream is for another day.......if anyone is in the market for a cracking SWB project then please let me know?

Once the decoration, new carpets and promises are kept I can start my RS journey.....for now I get to plan and dream and look forward to the day when I have a nice wide aRSe! 8) ....

Cheers,
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

Circumstance this year has dictated that my mind has been elsewhere and completely off car stuff.....

....the C3 has sat where it was pushed 8 months ago and forgotten about! :(

However thanks to the kind generosity of a fellow DDK'er I've now secured the most important part of this project and the flame has been rekindled.......a call to Barry during the week and the car will be stripped and going to him in the next few months......this build is still going to take an age but the goal is have a completed wide arched shell in the garage by the end of the year....

.....we might even see some colour! :P ....

Cheers,
brembo
DDK rules my life!

Post by brembo »

Hope your well and all's ok Darren.
Looking forward to this build.
Regards,
Dougie

Worry is the interest on inevitability !
yoda
I need to get out more!

Post by yoda »

Great news Darren ...... looking forward to the first proper road test ( - ;
The force is strong in this one ......