Classics at the Castle is back!

Here you will find an archive of previous Porsche Events and other car related events

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, drummerboytom, abm914

middlefour1
DDK rules my life!

Re: Classics at the Castle is back!

Post by middlefour1 »

neilbardsley wrote:Just went to book and I have to buy extra because I'm not a member :) It has made me consider not booking.
I have to say I am very disappointed to see that this is now a PCGB event with non members only permitted by paying another fiver to get in, and why pre-booked only. Think I will give it a miss.
Steve
1970 Silver 914 - Gone but never forgotten........
jeremyg
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by jeremyg »

middlefour1 wrote:
neilbardsley wrote:Just went to book and I have to buy extra because I'm not a member :) It has made me consider not booking.
I have to say I am very disappointed to see that this is now a PCGB event with non members only permitted by paying another fiver to get in, and why pre-booked only. Think I will give it a miss.
I quite understand the feelings this causes. But look at it another way. It's an event that's open to all. If you happen to be a PCGB member ( for which you'll have paid your subscription) then you will get a discounted entry. I'm nothing to do with the event, but no doubt the pre-booking cuts down the queues considerably.
Sam
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Sam »

I too am nervous that the blokes now organising it share more in common with this guy:

Than this guy:

But let's not panic yet.

I'm going to go along and see. If it's heading down the wrong path then we can make our feelings known afterwards.

I do object a bit to paying more than PCGB members and bolstering their coffers, as it still feels like it should be Fred's and Simon's and our show, not theirs, but I guess it's better that they're doing it than no one.
Last edited by Sam on Thu May 04, 2017 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
Guy
Married to the DDK

Post by Guy »

cluskera wrote:Some pics I had to hand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is that an impostor '74 Carrera masquerading as a '73RS in the VIP area ?
1977 Carrera 3.0
1974 Carrera 2.7 in bits.
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

Sam wrote: Than this guy:

.....you sure?........those suede boots look pretty regulation PCGB to me! :wink:
jtparr
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by jtparr »

Guy wrote:
cluskera wrote:Some pics I had to hand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is that an impostor '74 Carrera masquerading as a '73RS in the VIP area ?

You bet it is.....
1974 2.7 Carrera
(full restoration. now as an RS Touring)
1963 3.8 E Type
( 11 years in the making…………………….)
1952. XK120…the next one ……….……..)
BILLY BEAN

Post by BILLY BEAN »

Not sure what the carping is about. As I understand it, correct me if I am wrong, PCGB are doing the ticket sales as they have the organisation to do so. My guess is that the original instigators of the show probably found the administration a burden and remember they were volunteers not paid employees of the event. PCGB should lighten the administrative effort and ensure the event continues in the face of growing health and safety legislation and insurance issues for public events. Some members on here clearly do not like change. That is fine. You have a choice go to the event or absent yourself from it. Also the complaints and charactetisations about the PCGB membership are becoming a little tedious. There are plenty of members on DDK who are also PCGB members. No doubt some PCGB members are prats but I bet there are some in DDK who are not also PCGB members who fall into the same category.
Rust Never Sleeps
Sam

Post by Sam »

Have you even ever been to a PCGB event? We're miles moar cooler.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
hot66

Classics at the Castle is back!

Post by hot66 »

BILLY BEAN wrote:Not sure what the carping is about. As I understand it, correct me if I am wrong, PCGB are doing the ticket sales as they have the organisation to do so. My guess is that the original instigators of the show probably found the administration a burden and remember they were volunteers not paid employees of the event. PCGB should lighten the administrative effort and ensure the event continues in the face of growing health and safety legislation and insurance issues for public events. Some members on here clearly do not like change. That is fine. You have a choice go to the event or absent yourself from it. Also the complaints and charactetisations about the PCGB membership are becoming a little tedious. There are plenty of members on DDK who are also PCGB members. No doubt some PCGB members are prats but I bet there are some in DDK who are not also PCGB members who fall into the same category.
To be fair, there is history from year 1 of Ddk with Pcgb .... Their chairman at the time dismissed us all as nerds who sit on our computers all day and never drive our cars ... and that these forums wouldn't last .... Actually with hindsight he did get all of that right apart from the forums not lasting :lol: :lol:
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
BILLY BEAN

Post by BILLY BEAN »

James,
That might well be the case but how many years ago was that??Ten? Obviously the chairman at the time did not like change: narrow minded and bigotted. Which is what I was challenging in my earlier post. Can I assume that you have never said anything that was incorrect or hasty? The person you refer to has been replaced several times over. There are, I think, 16,000 PCGB members. It is beyond reason to write them all off as some appear to do. Times change. Maybe entrenched attitudes should also.
Sam,
Depends what you regard as "moar cooler". Sure some of the PCGB events are not very good: just blokes standing around in fields talking. ( different to Classics at the Castle?) But some are fine and many of the regions are made up a interesting individuals just like on DDK.
Rust Never Sleeps
majordad
I luv DDK!

Post by majordad »

Who was the Chairman , PK ?
1972 2.4S, since 1988
993 RSR Cup
73 RS Rep Race
2018 GT3RS Lizard
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Just bumped into this thread.
I've been a PCGB member since 1988. It came with my knackered 911 birthday pressie.

Early PCGB events were not my cup of tea, but the Post was good, I even wrote articles for it!

Over the last 5 years the PCGB has changed considerably and is very Member focused. The work they put in is huge, the results are huge too.
I find I'm going to more and more of the big events, tickets are 2 for price of 1 and secure in-field parking.
I do only do the motorsport events.

I've never been to a 'DDK event' except the unveiling of Mike's RSR at Bainbridge's place.
For some reason I feel more welcome at a PCGB event that I guess I would at a DDK do, but just my take on things, I'm not a sociable type!

Pity the members of the PCGB have to be poked at but I guess that is way of the world, but have an open mind and take it along to one of their events this year, (Silverstone Classic?) and then pass judgement or opinion.
I've never heard of a 'DDK' person slagged off at a PCGB event or read anything on their web site.

The two groups are poles apart and I think that is the best of it, they are so different, qualities in both groups.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Jimmy
Married to the DDK

Post by Jimmy »

I applied for the tickets via PCGB about 5 weeks ago, I have heard nothing and no tickets sent to date (haven't checked whether the money has been taken). Anyone received there tickets yet??

--------
Jimmy
SeanP
I luv DDK!

Post by SeanP »

Jimmy wrote:I applied for the tickets via PCGB about 5 weeks ago, I have heard nothing and no tickets sent to date (haven't checked whether the money has been taken). Anyone received there tickets yet??

--------
Jimmy
You should have got an email confirming the purchase. The tickets are normally sent out nearer the time of the event

Sean
1966 912
1969 912/6 hotish rod in build
1974 914 Dead
LI 125 Lambretta (Yeah right it’s a 125)
Mini Cooper s
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Booked in
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP