Brake Fluid Breather Pipe - Outlet Location

For classic Porsche 911 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

alfietom
DDK slapper chatter

Brake Fluid Breather Pipe - Outlet Location

Post by alfietom »

73 911T

Currently my Brake Fluid Resevoir overflow / breather pipe join the fuel tank breather via a V connector (Similar to a T-Connector) this then vents at the front of the car in the hole next to the number plate. Not only does this leave an unsightly deposit on the front valance it has caused the paint to bubble and peel at the rear of the hole.

I've trawled Pelican Parts but can't seem to find anything simple or that is correct.
Can anybody recommend an effective remedy to this?

1973 Porsche 911T
2011 Porsche 997.2 Carrera 4S
2012 Boxster 981 - (Wifes Summer Drive)
2019 Renault Megane RS 300 Trophy
2021 Cupra Leon
2021 Alpine A110 GT
911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Brake Fluid Breather Pipe - Outlet Location

Post by 911hillclimber »

Are you sure that vent location is right?

I'm not a stickler for originality but my brake res vent tube is run down through the bottom of the car and vents to the road close to the steering rack.
I guess you could run yours along-side the petrol vent tube but cut it short and allow to vent by the suspension?
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Dougieboy1
I luv DDK!

Post by Dougieboy1 »

i have a 72 and looked into this via the relevant manual and parts book.

My understanding is that the tank vent goes to the small under-dash black plastic 'tank' and then, as you say, from there to a metal y-connector below the master cylinder reservoir. The brake overflow from the master cylinder is also connected via the y-connector then into a single pipe.

This pipe connects (at least on my car which is a 1972 LHD US delivery) to an angled metal pipe that goes through the left inner wing just above the fuse boxes. This is then supposed to connect to a small plastic catch tank inside the left hand wing.

However, received wisdom seems to be this is pointless and most people vent to atmosphere, presumably via a pipe to avoid staining of the inner wing paint and avoid contact with the tyre.

Hope that helps. Sorry cant offer any pictures, my car is at envirostrip.....

good luck

Andrew
1972 911S
1944 VW Schwimmwagen (originally a Porsche typ128, eventually VW166)
A bunch of other crap (according to my wife)
fgmec
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by fgmec »

There is a picture on the workshop manual.
After the front valence, the plastic tube should go toward the ground.
Cammy1
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by Cammy1 »

Hi all, I think that Dougieboy is a bit confused between his fuel system and braking system. These IMO are completly separate systems.
The brake fluid overflow pipe runs from the top of the brake fluid container down the wing towards the front of the car then across the front floor to just off centre towards the other wing and hungs down through a hole in the front scuttle.
I hope this helps.
Regards to all
Red 1972 911T/E but will be back to 018-8-2 when funds permit!
mycar
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by mycar »

Is the scuttle not the panel between the windscreen and the bonnet ?
Cammy1
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by Cammy1 »

The lower front section of fuel tank compartment floor... No:2

http://www.design911.co.uk/pages/diagra ... ramID=1195
Red 1972 911T/E but will be back to 018-8-2 when funds permit!
Dougieboy1
I luv DDK!

Post by Dougieboy1 »

yep, my mistake, i took another look at the books and its the fuel filler overflow pipe that goes into the other leg of the Y connector. oops..... thats what happens when you are trying to recall something without reference materials...
1972 911S
1944 VW Schwimmwagen (originally a Porsche typ128, eventually VW166)
A bunch of other crap (according to my wife)
sfh3l
DDK addict

Post by sfh3l »

Not sure whether my car is that original, but mine ('72T) runs down past the fuse box and pokes into a hole in the chassis box section around the front of the fuel tank. This then weeps (!) into that section and any drips come out of one of the similar external holes. I did flood this section once when changing brake fluid while changing it. I did then flush the whole thing out pretty thoroughly, so as to avoid it stripping all the damn paint off!
Best wishes,

Sam.

'72 911T - '72 3.0csl - 1990 Z1 - Austin 7 Ulster Replica - Derelict 1925 Rolls Royce
Flat 6
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Flat 6 »

sfh3l wrote:Not sure whether my car is that original, but mine ('72T) runs down past the fuse box and pokes into a hole in the chassis box section around the front of the fuel tank. This then weeps (!) into that section and any drips come out of one of the similar external holes. I did flood this section once when changing brake fluid while changing it. I did then flush the whole thing out pretty thoroughly, so as to avoid it stripping all the damn paint off!
I'd say get it out of there quick!!! And then flush that space with brake cleaner and inject liquid cavity wax until it bursts out of the seams, otherwise you will eventually be replacing that panel and probably the front floor under it!

Probably doesn't help OP at all but I've been looking into this for my '78 SC resto and the overflow pipe is routed across the back of the front compartment, down the top of the LHS inner wing and out through a grommet in the front slam/lock panel. It is then routed vertically downwards via a metal clip which is part of the front panel and finishes in a rubber protective cap open to air downwards.

The metal pipes going through the front inner wing (two on later cars, one larger) are both related to fuel overflow.

Al.
DDK#732

1981 SC Coupe, now in Dublin
1978 SC Targa, now in Aberdeen
1978 SC Coupe, now in London
1983 SC Coupe, now in London
1973 2.4T...under restoration...VERY slow restoration.
Flat 6
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Flat 6 »

Knew I had a relevant reference shot somewhere. Not my car but a reference shot of a how mine will be (including colour!). A '73T US Spec.

Not totally clear but I think the top plastic pipe in this short is the brake fluid overflow. The windscreen washer pipe is (I think) a clearer plastic pipe running lower down along with the wiring loom.

HTH,

Al
DDK#732

1981 SC Coupe, now in Dublin
1978 SC Targa, now in Aberdeen
1978 SC Coupe, now in London
1983 SC Coupe, now in London
1973 2.4T...under restoration...VERY slow restoration.